• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Love on the Other Side: A Nagabe Short Story Collection

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Lol. I literally just bought this on pure impulse a couple of days ago. It was beautiful!
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Would someone be kind enough to elaborate a little on “The Wolf-Man and the Girl-Wolf”(in spoiler tags)? I passed on Wize Wize Beasts after a library coworker said a couple of the stories veered in an unpleasant direction. Just wondering if it's the same.
Oggers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I already picked up Wize Wize Beasts on a whim and enjoyed it. Maybe I'll pick this one up, too.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Would someone be kind enough to elaborate a little on “The Wolf-Man and the Girl-Wolf”(in spoiler tags)? I passed on Wize Wize Beasts after a library coworker said a couple of the stories veered in an unpleasant direction. Just wondering if it's the same.

So basically spoiler[the story is about a wolf-man who adopts a young girl who was raised in the wild by regular wolves, and the bulk of it is him trying to teach her to speak, playing with her, and trying to show her how to cook. The end skips to the when she's an adult and the wolf-man, now elderly, giving her a ring as a marriage proposal. The punchline, as it were, is that he's lived isolated and only has an academic knowledge of "being human" and so thinks marriage is what you're supposed to do when a man and a woman live together, but upon first reading it kiiiiind of came off as a weird child grooming thing. Within the context of the rest of the stories it's clear that's not the intent, but I figured it was worth mentioning in the review. ]
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

So basically...

Thanks so much! spoiler[As a huge fan of The Ancient Magus' Bride, that actually sounds like a very Elias Ainsworth-esque misunderstanding of human customs. Doesn't seem super iffy to me. ]
Oggers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
I passed on Wize Wize Beasts after a library coworker said a couple of the stories veered in an unpleasant direction. Just wondering if it's the same.

This is just my personal opinion, but I honestly found only one of the stories in Wize Wize Beasts kind of unpleasant: spoiler[the story about a crow who's so in love with a peacock that he lies to the girls at the school that the peacock is dating someone, since his love is unrequited but he still wants to keep the peacock's attention all to himself].

There's also a teacher-student romance angle between two dragons, if you're not into that kind of thing, but while there is an attraction between them they don't actually get together.
The Blackest Mamba

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The stories were sort of inappropriate and unpleasant but otherwise Gold
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:54 pm Reply with quote
This sounds good! Hopefully, it will be available at libraries in print form (the pandemic changed how some libraries purchase books).

Gem-Bug wrote:
Thanks so much! spoiler[As a huge fan of The Ancient Magus' Bride, that actually sounds like a very Elias Ainsworth-esque misunderstanding of human customs. Doesn't seem super iffy to me. ]

I wish more people spoiler[ interpreted the Ancient Magus Bride’s “romance” that way. Even though it seems plain in the text that Elias doesn’t understand what marriage is, it seems to me that most fans interpret the “Bride” in the title literally, based on fanworks like AMVs]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1