• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime NYC 2020 Canceled Due to COVID-19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:13 am Reply with quote
Not unexpected after NYCC was canceled, but still depressing...

Official FB post: https://m.facebook.com/events/1441063342714972?view=permalink&id=1700913466729957
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:30 am Reply with quote
So who’s left? With both AWA and Anime NYC gone, the last big Fall anime con I can think of is Youmacon, and it sounds like they’re just waiting for force majeure to kick in, given their latest statement.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:23 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
So who’s left? With both AWA and Anime NYC gone, the last big Fall anime con I can think of is Youmacon, and it sounds like they’re just waiting for force majeure to kick in, given their latest statement.

Yeah, that's the tricky thing. They can't say the con won't go on until it can't go on.

The next big con after that, I think, is MAGFest, which is actually *double checks* not around New Year's as usual but later in January. Huh. But they canceled their summer events and have a statement basically prepping fans for "contingency plans" but saying they're currently operating with the assumption the con will happen.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:06 pm Reply with quote
It does suck for convention staff to be in a position where cancelling is probably the right thing to do, but they have to wait for pieces to fall into place to do it. The convention I go to got pretty far into the year before officially canceling, so I assume it was the same there. I had pretty much decided I was ok with losing my registration fee since I wasn't going to go. Conceivably, they wouldn't do door registration, but anyone who pre-registered might expect to get in since they paid or get a refund if they were turned away for capacity. Limited seating for panels, congested hallways, not being able to do the usual autograph sessions. Lots of factors all point to cancellation being the correct choice, so it sucks that they have to wait to be told they can't do it.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
The next big con after that, I think, is MAGFest, which is actually *double checks* not around New Year's as usual but later in January. Huh. But they canceled their summer events and have a statement basically prepping fans for "contingency plans" but saying they're currently operating with the assumption the con will happen.

For 2021, Anime Los Angeles is about 2 weeks before MAGFest. They aren't as big, but have still been over 10,000 unique attendees the last several years. They too are facing the "can't call the game until someone else does" situation - they opened their hotel block at the beginning of August (with IIRC a notice that if they had to cancel the 2021 con, any con hotel block reservations would automatically be cancelled).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1