• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Alicization is the Best Sword Art Online Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stiles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I stopped taking Alicization seriously when the narrative had the gall to suggest that an artificial intelligence 'spawning' more artificial intelligences meant they had human souls.

I just about nope'd out when the main villain ate a soul and that became his primary motivation.

It's like, this isn't even science fiction now, it's just weird. Looking forward to the english dub, just to see how this mess ends.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:35 am Reply with quote
While a haven't seen part 2 of War of Underworld yet(I'm waiting for it's dub because SAO's English dub is that good). I still love this series.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I definitely want to like SAO and I loved the premise of it but after that terrible first arc which showcased the what I assume is the worst of the series, and that sham of a conclusion... lets just say I'm very, very hesitant to trust anything with Kirito's mug anywhere on it.

Though hearing more and more good things about Alicization is certainly helping and I do want to watch the Mother's Rosario arc since I heard that was really well done.

Perhaps the irony of this is that if I liked the beginning of SAO so much I wouldn't have been as disappointed later on and it'd have been easier to give it another chance.

As the saying going to 'the more you liked something, the stronger you will hate it' or something like that.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Skerlly Fc wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
The concept of VR has never been replaced every arc explores it in a new way. The effect VR has on the world and its people is what SAO has been about since the beginning and that has yet to change.

I think the comment was referring to the fact that the series sold itself from the beginning as having the VR concept to be an important part of the series, but it never explored it. Why? Because the series turns the "transporting the mind conscious of any person to the virtual world" thingy, into something similar to an isekai series. Up until Alicization, you can series that the series is less sci-fi and more high fantasy with barely any credible sci-fi.

Yeah you're probably right. However, that's an anime adaptation problem. The sci-fi aspect never leaves the series in the novels. The technology, worlds, and game mechanics are all explained in a very sci-fi way in the novels and they are pretty detailed. The sci-fi aspect
is actually one of my favorite things about the novels. Even the very fantasy-like elements in Alicization are explained in a very sci-fi way and that includes things like Incarnation as well. Hell even fairly meaningless things like how human aging works and how food spoiling works in the Underworld is explained in a sci-fi way.

If you like the series I highly recommend checking out the novels.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm mostly through the first Alicization anime season, but I have read all of the LNs.

IMO, the anime is way too rushed. Yeah, I know it's trying to cover 10 novels, so I'm in no way faulting it for trying. But things are happening so quickly that it's hard to really get behind any of the character developments.

Also, and this is coming from my perspective from the LNs, I think that people who haven't read Accel World might find the concept of "Incarnation" to be hand-wavy.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:35 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I'm mostly through the first Alicization anime season, but I have read all of the LNs.

IMO, the anime is way too rushed. Yeah, I know it's trying to cover 10 novels, so I'm in no way faulting it for trying. But things are happening so quickly that it's hard to really get behind any of the character developments.

Also, and this is coming from my perspective from the LNs, I think that people who haven't read Accel World might find the concept of "Incarnation" to be hand-wavy.

I completely agree on it being rushed. The first Alicization season really needed at the very least a few more episodes, so that things could be fleshed out better and also have time to breathe. Hell, even important things like how Eugeo was treated by his family don't make it in. I wonder why a series as big as SAO couldn't get a few more episodes.

Yeah a lot of people seem to be having a problem with Incarnation. IMO, the novels handle it pretty well, but the anime doesn't really explain how it works in detail, which seems to be causing a lot of confusion for anime only viewers from what I've seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2