• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: SINoALICE

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Agree with this review pretty much completely. I was hoping this game would be great, but it's really a chore and the small bits of story don't overcome that. Especially when there are better games to play on mobile.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:14 pm Reply with quote
This review isn't wrong. The storytelling is very Yoko Taro and the graphics are well done, but otherwise, it's grindy, it's simple, and certain mechanical aspects feel unsatisfying (though for me, it's less the battles than the weapon evolution system which feels "off"). For whatever reason, though, I play every day and enjoy myself. I do the dailies and other quests; bounced between a few casual guilds until finding one I liked; and manage to get by without having to spend anything.

About that last point: although I'm having an okay time with the game, I can't see myself spending money on it. This isn't because I'm new to gacha games (which I am), but I don't think I'll ever be compelled to do so. I've dropped around $30 on Pokemon GO the past few years, so I'm not opposed to spending money on a FTP game I'm enjoying, but SINoALICE hasn't crossed that threshold for me-- at least not yet, and likely not ever. I suppose, depending on your perspective, that might not be a point in its favor.

I did import the soundtrack a while back, though; Keiichi Okabe is a treasure.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:17 am Reply with quote
This review is also on point for me personally as well.
I Never played Nier or Drakengard but I loved the idea and story behind them. Around the time Automata came out I watched some lets play of Nier and... I fell in love it. The way the story changes so drastically on subsequent playthroughs is so amazing and incredibly simple. The perspective changes ever so slightly and that makes the biggest difference in the world. I loved automata and I wanted to love SinoAlice but... it just sucked as a game.

The story could have saved it as FGO is also a terrible game but it's story is more than worth it and Fate has alot of story to tell. Sometimes too much. Sadly SinoAlice's format of sprinkling the small snippets of info in between missions is just too artsy for my blood.
Just give me walls of text and snappy CG's over that nonsense.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:21 am Reply with quote
I tried to play it for a week or so before deciding to delete everything. For someone who has minimal exposure to Yoko Taro, this game is just mind numbingly boring.

The gameplay is a mess, had this was released in 2014-2015, the game will probably better received. 2017 was already pushing it, but being released in 2020 with this level of gameplay and breadcrumb of stories is just reckless. The weapon system is nice at first, until you realize that the only reliable way to get weapon fodders are by gacha because the ones in shops are too expensive to farm. Even with skip ticket and auto it still felt like a chore.

The story itself is pretty good (edginess aside), but unless you really REALLY love the characters and worship Yoko Taro, it's really not worth to do 100+ nodes of boring battles for less content than a chapter in FGO or GBF (which has much less battle nodes).
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:30 am Reply with quote
So this is what Symphogear (the game) died for. Well not exactly surprised about the technical issues of the game itself considering how Anime hyperU had some issues on the game side. And I think story and how you present it is critical for at least my interest in these games. FGO does save itself by having so much darn story there and telling a pretty solid one. But just giving out bits of abstract musings every now and then just isn't compelling.

Either way was just going to let this thing sit for a while to see how it turned out. But feels like a pretty legitimate skip.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah I agree with pretty much everything here. Although not a Yoko Taro fan as I haven't played his other games (yet), I was very excited for the game and to finally approach his work in some manner. I love the character designs and music, I even like the little sprites in the fights, but the battle system is a bust, the gacha rates are terrible and the pool of obtainable characters is minuscule and, most importantly for me, there's no meat to the story. I haven't done any of the grinding to improve my weapons because I wanted to read the story first but it honestly feels like a chore going through all those battles that really provide no excitement, strategizing or even variety. I also loathe the Colosseum system, I haven't been able to get in even once because the time window is so small and I always forget. I've been kicked from three or four guilds for it and now I don't even bother trying to join others, so my beginner's missions are still incomplete

I haven't deleted the app yet because I rolled on the Little Mermaid step-up gacha and managed to get her, and I really want to read her story, but it's gated behind the 100 or so chapters of all the other characters, which is deeply discouraging.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1