• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams Zoids Wild Anime in U.S. on August 14

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:47 am Reply with quote
This was unexpected, Can't to see whose in it.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:54 am Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:

Zoids Wild has already been fully dubbed and aired so you can most likely find the cast posted online already.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:

Zoids Wild has already been fully dubbed and aired so you can most likely find the cast posted online already.

You mean the Hong Kong based dub? Perhaps this one will be the one produced by Hasbro which would be different from the Hong Kong based dub.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:58 am Reply with quote
This isn't encouraging given how little Hasbro has been promoting the fact that they've got the western rights again. Given how they just dumped some of the other IPs they have on Netflix and those didn't do well, I'm not expecting much from this either.

Wonder if it'll go the way of LBX/Danball and how that was just given the bare minimum of effort (highly edited show that really, didn't need to be edited, incredibly late release of the source game and no sequels both via the show or game, the models not doing well at all, etc)

Last edited by GNPixie on Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Only in the United States? I hope it can reach other regions as well.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Any chance of Netflix picking up the original Zoids?

The DVDs range from 20 to 200 dollars off ebay. I mean I own every volume, but for those who don't...
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:

As stated, that dub (which doesn't credit its actors) was produced in Hong Kong for the Asian market. The game's localization features a different voice cast and name changes that would conflict with it. This is likely going to be a separate dub.

GNPixie wrote:
This isn't encouraging given how little Hasbro has been promoting the fact that they've got the western rights again. Given how they just dumped some of the other IPs they have on Netflix and those didn't do well, I'm not expecting much from this either.

Wonder if it'll go the way of LBX/Danball and how that was just given the bare minimum of effort (highly edited show that really, didn't need to be edited, incredibly late release of the source game and no sequels both via the show or game, the models not doing well at all, etc)

Hasbro hasn't publicly acknowledged Zoids Wild at all. If it weren't for fans leaking trade materials, we wouldn't have known of their involvement until the game's localization was announced. They've had ample time to prepare, yet they can't even muster any pre-launch promotional support for the show's debut on Netflix ... All of this suggests they have no confidence in it.

I do have concerns over how this show will be handled. The game's localization has clued us in to a few name changes, with the most concerning being Death Metal's rebrand to Dark Metal. While the show is very much geared towards children, thematically it's a lot more serious than the anime you'd find on Disney Anime hyper. It's hard to think they're not going to try to write around certain plot points (good luck) when they seem to be afraid of saying "death." Hopefully being on Netflix lets them have looser standards than if they were on Cartoon Network.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Hopefully being on Netflix lets them have looser standards than if they were on Cartoon Network.

I feel like they dubbed all 50 (assuming they didn’t skip or combine any episodes) episodes and made all the dub edits first, then pitched it to TV networks and/or streaming platforms, with Netflix eventually picking up the already-edited-dubbed version.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:08 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Primus wrote:
Hopefully being on Netflix lets them have looser standards than if they were on Cartoon Network.

I feel like they dubbed all 50 (assuming they didn’t skip or combine any episodes) episodes and made all the dub edits first, then pitched it to TV networks and/or streaming platforms, with Netflix eventually picking up the already-edited-dubbed version.

And could the dubbing studio be the same one that did the recent Transformers shows which was based in NY?
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Primus wrote:

You might be right, though it's never good business to produce something in its entirety before having any distribution partners attached.

There's been conflicting information regarding the episode counts. Initially, Hasbro's trade materials lined up with the show's Japanese run. However, more recent documents have the show listed as 26 half-hours. It's unclear if that's a typo (there's been varying info on other Hasbro shows), just referring to the first half of Wild or an indication of a crazy hack job.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Hasbro hasn't publicly acknowledged Zoids Wild at all. If it weren't for fans leaking trade materials, we wouldn't have known of their involvement until the game's localization was announced. They've had ample time to prepare, yet they can't even muster any pre-launch promotional support for the show's debut on Netflix ... All of this suggests they have no confidence in it.

Usually your info is on point and I don't have to correct you, but this isn't right. Zoids Wild wasn't leaked, the first time we heard about their involvement was in 2018 when they advertised their 2018 MIPCOM booth in the 2018/2019 TV Kids Guide which was published online for all to read for free (page 65). They would then mention it again in a press release (which wasn't public, but also not secret) in 2019 when Hasbro Studios publicly became Allspark.

To be shopping this around for two years and still not see a product on the shelves means they probably couldn't get retailers interested and moving the anime to Netflix is just a last ditch effort to make a little cash where they could.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
^So basically it got the Glitter Force treatment since Saban's handling of Smile made it obvious that it was meant to be broadcast on Nick but didn't happen.....ironically that also took 2-3 years before they decided to send it to Netflix.
SakuraYakushi :3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Primus wrote:

Usually your info is on point and I don't have to correct you, but this isn't right. Zoids Wild wasn't leaked, the first time we heard about their involvement was in 2018 when they advertised their 2018 MIPCOM booth in the 2018/2019 TV Kids Guide which was published online for all to read for free (page 65). They would then mention it again in a press release (which wasn't public, but also not secret) in 2019 when Hasbro Studios publicly became Allspark.

To be shopping this around for two years and still not see a product on the shelves means they probably couldn't get retailers interested and moving the anime to Netflix is just a last ditch effort to make a little cash where they could.

Emerje

I hope this isn't true… Do you think this is really what happened? Are we really not going to see these model kits in stores? Some UK-based toy shop put some pictures up on Facebook… But then again that's just the UK… Is the US really screwed on the models?
CRE040295

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:16 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Primus wrote:

You might be right, though it's never good business to produce something in its entirety before having any distribution partners attached.

There's been conflicting information regarding the episode counts. Initially, Hasbro's trade materials lined up with the show's Japanese run. However, more recent documents have the show listed as 26 half-hours. It's unclear if that's a typo (there's been varying info on other Hasbro shows), just referring to the first half of Wild or an indication of a crazy hack job.

Hey Primus, did the Ocean Group and/or Blue Water Studios is confirmed dubbing Zoids Wild into English or they decided to choose the non-union New York voice actors instead?
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:22 am Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/JRPictures/status/1294196224665370624
https://twitter.com/JRPictures/status/1294198645164711936

Now available on Netflix and the dub was done at Ocean in Vancouver apparently over a year ago since it features Gabe Khouth who passed back in July 2019.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2