• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Online Petition Demands Content Warnings for Sexual Violence in Weekly Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Summed Up:

1 - Sex Education, for a variety of reasons, needs to improve, be expanded, and last more than just a couple of years.
2 - People should write the manga they feel like, but warnings between chapters, as pointed out before me, may not be a bad idea.
3 - And perhaps definitely, a early teen-oriented manga magazine may not be the best place for said content. A slightly older audience, though, seems fine.
Adv193

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Summed Up:

1 - Sex Education, for a variety of reasons, needs to improve, be expanded, and last more than just a couple of years.

Agreed with Sex Education needing to be improved since it is a very hot debate, as paranoia is still a main issue, due to many worrywart parent being concerned that it encourages sexual activity.
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I think a general warning about content wouldn't hurt.
But what about a loving consensual relation happening?Would people still be up in arms about that?[/img]
burning_scrub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:18 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

We can have both. And no one is proposing a "purge" of lewd manga, just an effort to educate young readers about what is unacceptable in real life.

Part of this petition is for Shonen Jump to survey their readers on their sexual education (which strikes me as an absurd thing for a manga magazine to do) and change their content accordingly. And while it wasn't included in the proposed solution, much of this language suggests that they have a moral obligation to not print such works. That's more than just educating young readers.

Quote:

Your experience is anecdotal, while in academia, there is a growing body of research and evidence that media affects people's attitudes towards a huge variety of subjects, including gender roles and relations. Is it really such a stretch to say, "If Shonen Jump continues to present sexual harassment as funny, then some children will imitate it in an attempt to be funny"? [/i]

If we're talking about literal five year olds- well below the target demographic here, and not representative of Shonen Jump's readership- then sure. Beyond that, I think you're once again using a very broad idea to sneak by a very specific claim. Academic research that some media has some effect on some attitudes doesn't mean that this media has the effect you say it does. I think if you're going to claim that the magazine has a moral imperative to stop hosting certain kinds of content to prevent harm then you need something a lot more solid than "well fiction can make you think things so maybe this fiction will make you think bad things." What's the academic research say about this specific idea? Sexual harassment in fiction and it's influence on young men?

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

On the other hand, it's equally dumb to say "well my friends and I didn't mimic the exact thing we saw in this show, so it doesn't influence anyone's idea of what's okay or not."

If I could resist this insidious influence, I have no reason to believe that the vast majority of people can't do the same. The influence from one's peers dwarfs whatever they get from fiction so absolutely that without hard evidence, I see nothing productive in worrying about fiction turning people bad.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
All of you who missed the point of the petition, should ask a woman how she feels about this.

Not really. I have no problem with age restrictions for content.

But other than that, nobody has the right to tell other people what they can watch, read, or listen too. If you don't like the material, don't watch, read, or listen to it. Too many people try to control other people.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I think this entire discussion is hilarious if only for how dissonant some folks views are. Say what you want about the topic, but the idea that manga in this case, anime by extension, cannot effect a person to the point of impacting behavior goes against the fundamental concept of these as artistic mediums. The entire point and purpose of being for any artistic work is to elicit certain feelings and desires in the reader/viewer. The idea that even unintentionally this cannot at some level thereby effect the way that person views associated behavior is a bizarre stance, especially when the counter argument is that kids at the age of rebellion are somehow going to just accept what their real-life authority figures tell them is right and proper. Juxtapose this story against the fact that ANN is running an article asking what the cultural implications of isekai are, and it all melds into a strange body of information and discussion.

There are many cogs to the machine, and a number of them could use some work. Just because others need work does mean you can't pick one to apply a relatively easy fix to, especially when that other cog is one whose fix has already proven the be generational in nature.
RachelBee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:33 am Reply with quote
I'm seeing a lot of people in this thread who don't seem to understand that the focus of this petition isn't just sexual content, but non-consensual sexual content. To use a million year-old example, the problem isn't necessarily that Orihime has huge boobs, the problem is that Chizuru is constantly grabbing her boobs against her will and it's treated as a joke and not a big deal. I feel like it's common in shounen/seinen works for fanservice to happen against the female characters' will and as a woman it makes me super uncomfortable! The line "it's not okay to look at a woman's body in a sexual way without regard for her feelings," makes so much sense to me. Why does it have to be a non-consensual grope or an accidental nip-slip that leaves the female character ashamed? Can't it just as easily be female characters who have consensual, positive experiences of sexuality?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:00 am Reply with quote
burning_scrub wrote:
Part of this petition is for Shonen Jump to survey their readers on their sexual education (which strikes me as an absurd thing for a manga magazine to do) and change their content accordingly.

On the face of it, it's an absurd thing for a manga magazine to do... but if content needs to be calibrated to the level of understanding the audience has of the subject, there's not a whole lot of other ways to find out what that level is.
burning_scrub wrote:
If I could resist this insidious influence, I have no reason to believe that the vast majority of people can't do the same. The influence from one's peers dwarfs whatever they get from fiction so absolutely that without hard evidence, I see nothing productive in worrying about fiction turning people bad.

"If I can, the vast majority of people can" doesn't necessarily hold true, though. And sure, the influence of one's peers is a significant factor... but if most of your peers are consuming the same media (which tends to be pretty likely), said media ultimately still has a lot of influence on you.
RachelBee wrote:
Why does it have to be a non-consensual grope or an accidental nip-slip that leaves the female character ashamed? Can't it just as easily be female characters who have consensual, positive experiences of sexuality?

There are certain types of people for whom the non-consensual aspect or the ashamed female characters are key to the appeal, and/or are very opposed to the idea of women and girls expressing their sexuality on their own terms. Some are more vocal and honest about it, others more covert, and they tend to worm their way into positions of some influence or power, including in the various entertainment industries.
edit: And some it's just a kind of cultural inertia. This is the way sex jokes have always been done, so it's just the way they're done, so that's the way authors continue doing them.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:20 am Reply with quote
The irony of people claiming "teens can perfectly diferentiate reality from fiction" when a lot of fully grown men think the real life Japan is exactly as they see it in anime. I strongly suspects there's a lot of overlap between the two groups too Rolling Eyes

Even though the petition didn't garner a lot of signatures, it signifies a change of the tide that I find encouraging. This isn't the first time people in Japan speak up against the issue of normalizing and trivializing the sexual assault of women used as joke fodder in entertainment and I'm sure it won't be the last. It might take a while for publishers to realize society has long evolved past the need of comic-relief pervy characters who spy on women's bathrooms and steal their underwear, but I'm sure it'll get there, hopefully sooner rather than later
OceanwaveIII

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:23 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
The irony of people claiming "teens can perfectly diferentiate reality from fiction" when a lot of fully grown men think the real life Japan is exactly as they see it in anime. I strongly suspects there's a lot of overlap between the two groups too Rolling Eyes

Even though the petition didn't garner a lot of signatures, it signifies a change of the tide that I find encouraging. This isn't the first time people in Japan speak up against the issue of normalizing and trivializing the sexual assault of women used as joke fodder in entertainment and I'm sure it won't be the last. It might take a while for publishers to realize society has long evolved past the need of comic-relief pervy characters who spy on women's bathrooms and steal their underwear, but I'm sure it'll get there, hopefully sooner rather than later

eh not sure what reality you live in but gag humor is pretty central in alot of Japanese shows an entertainment , change .org doesn't really signify anything really Don't think you'll last very long watching popular Japanese shows shin chan or gintama , Gag humor is not going out of style or any less popular today . with men or woman in japan . Recent anime Grand Blue about dudes running getting stripped naked and humiliated and swimming , and that's getting a movie ..so yeah no gag humor with sexual jokes is not disappearing from Japanese media. . a small group of signature on change .dot org is not a social movement or a trend lol. I can't see them removing gag sexual humor particular for imaginary drawings .

Not sure what you mean when you say "People think japan is just like the anime " People who never been there ? lol.. of course it's not real to them they don't live there . No one who lives in japan who has visited believe japan is an anime so your point doesn't make any sense. And I bet people think India looks like Bollywood and people break out into song and dance to !.. people also think america is like movies , Because they don't live there . People always project fantasy on places they don't live that like normal , it goes away pretty quickly iif they live there for any extended period of time . No one in Japan thinks Japan looks like anime the media is designed specifically to not be like everyday reality and to be the polar opposite of realism .. so that point doesn't really support the confusing fantasy and reality .

Last edited by OceanwaveIII on Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:57 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
I think this entire discussion is hilarious if only for how dissonant some folks views are. Say what you want about the topic, but the idea that manga in this case, anime by extension, cannot effect a person to the point of impacting behavior goes against the fundamental concept of these as artistic mediums. The entire point and purpose of being for any artistic work is to elicit certain feelings and desires in the reader/viewer. The idea that even unintentionally this cannot at some level thereby effect the way that person views associated behavior is a bizarre stance, especially when the counter argument is that kids at the age of rebellion are somehow going to just accept what their real-life authority figures tell them is right and proper. Juxtapose this story against the fact that ANN is running an article asking what the cultural implications of isekai are, and it all melds into a strange body of information and discussion.

I don't see many kids fighting on the streets with a katana , jumping from buildings because the think they could flight, shooting or beating each otter to dead in tournaments.
By your standard If they going after ecchi moments, they also should remove violence, because that violence can influence the behavior of kids.
I think somebody blowing out a city block during a fight, killing many bystanders is allot worse than falling on some girl boobs by accident.

Now seriously, kids know what is proper behavior and bad behavior and act accordingly and what is reality and what is not. If they are going to have improper behavior is because they have problems, nothing to do whit reading some manga.

OceanwaveIII wrote:

eh not sure what reality you live in but gag humor is pretty central in alot of Japanese shows an entertainment , change .org doesn't really signify anything really Don't think you'll last very long watching popular Japanese shows shin chan or gintama , Gag humor is not going out of style or any less popular today . with men or woman in japan . Recent anime Grand Blue about dudes running getting stripped naked and humiliated and swimming , and that's getting a movie ..so yeah no gag humor with sexual jokes is not disappearing from Japanese media. . a small group of signature on change .dot org is not a social movement or a trend lol. I can't see them removing gag sexual humor particular for imaginary drawings .

It's true If they watch some of the morning entertainment shows in TV they would go nuts.
An American producer would cancel 75% of the shows that are broadcast on TV because of the kind of humor showing there. When i was working there i remember a show where a gravure idol in bikini would get a pie in the face whenever she missed a question.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:13 am; edited 2 times in total
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:05 am Reply with quote
OceanwaveIII wrote:
But I am going to assume the same market that wanted 50 shade of gray probably won't enjoy the toned down version of it and won't buy it .They wanted whips and chains and an attractive asshole not a pillow lol. Same apply to male oriented fan-service.

Eh, that's kinda the thing with media these days. Stuff like 50 Shades and Twilight were super huge with women, but they also drew a lot of haters and critics who shamed women for liking that stuff and wanted to tell them what books and movies they should be liking instead. Lots of people want to police media and tell you what's appropriate to like and what should get made these days. And some people just have trouble admitting what they like and think they'll be shamed for it, especially in the era of social media.
stefand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:22 am Reply with quote
Yes, there might be some exampes of bad sexual jokes in Jump. Some kids might copy them (but, really, do kids want to identify with an old lecher like Muten Roshi?).

Everyone who, wants to regulate manga in some way should take a look at what happened to american comics after the 50s (https://www.vox.com/2014/12/15/7326605/comic-book-censorship, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics_Code_Authority). One of the reasons, why manga developed in a so much more free, creative and diverse way than comics in the US, might be the censorship that happened there after an imense paranoia, that comics would corrupt the youth.
So, yes, some regulation might be necessary in some cases, but please be always aware, that too much regulation can strangle a medium.

Teenager (at least the male part, can't spek for the other) will always search for sexual content. Better they find it in manga then in the internet.

In any case parents should not expect media like manga to educate their children.
Q4000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:52 am Reply with quote
burning_scrub wrote:

The thing is, it's the teeny tiny minority that puts the vast majority in a bad light. School shootings and violent video games?

Honestly, we can't predict an individual's behavior presented with the same stimuli as everybody else. There will always be outliers and exceptions to the general trend. That is the problem.

Yes, media is not a cause for deviant behavior, and people with such behavior tends to have mental health issues. That is correct. And because they have mental health issues, the media they consume may have a greater (or worse) effect on them as compared to mentally-sound people.

One thing WSJ may do is to reassess their target audience. If they are still primarily targeting elementary-aged kids, their standards should be focused there, and not on the older readers. If they decide to pivot to the older readers, then they realign their standards to that demographic. Whichever they choose to do (or not do), will always have consequences to their entire readership.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:02 am Reply with quote
Q4000 wrote:

One thing WSJ may do is to reassess their target audience. If they are still primarily targeting elementary-aged kids, their standards should be focused there, and not on the older readers. If they decide to pivot to the older readers, then they realign their standards to that demographic. Whichever they choose to do (or not do), will always have consequences to their entire readership.

They never target elementary aged kids (kodomo), even if some of them read Jump.
Their target is teenage boys (shonen).

For elementary kids, the magazines are some like CoroCoro Comic and Comic BomBom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7