• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Loner Life in Another World GN 1 & 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seagloom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I walked away from this with basically the same opinion. It was entertaining enough up until he went from loner to de facto savior upon reuniting with his classmates. Putting aside the criticisms in the review, which I agree with, it also started becoming boring as the isekai cliches ramped up.

I finally quit around when spoiler[the would-be rapist classmates were about to be reintroduced].
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
In every group of people, there will always be evil ones. I still remember my high school years, and there are always boys who you can see easily as rapists in training.

Not having male predators would have been more unrealistic. The male predator classmates are obviously going to be the villains. No law to control their behavior, given for all intents and purposes super powers of a sort. Recipe for all sorts of villainy.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:35 am Reply with quote
^^It wasn't their existence that bothered me so much as how rote the story had become at that point. The author was basically hitting every isekai cliche possible after having abandoned the only thing that made this story novel. Characterization was nearly nonexistent, and the comedy wasn't strong enough to make up for so many shortcomings.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:51 am Reply with quote
This is that one isekai series that really made me wonder what exactly made it popular.

In a sense, it's similar to when Isekai Smartphone first came out. But while I eventually understood what made Isekai Smartphone stand out after reading the novels, I still haven't figured the 'it factor' for this one.
arkhangelsk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:57 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
In a sense, it's similar to when Isekai Smartphone first came out. But while I eventually understood what made Isekai Smartphone stand out after reading the novels, I still haven't figured the 'it factor' for this one. [/i]

What's that "if-factor", and would it interest someone that gave up on the anime in the first episode?

In comparison I think this one was OK. At least the mangaka realized that the girls being cute can get you to buy the book, so he puts them in the Trial zone. And since I had been waiting for those useless skills to be re-interpreted as hugely useful anyway I wasn't too disappointed when it happened.

As for the girls, I think it is ... at least realistic wish-fulfillment. Let's face it, most people are followers and this is even more true when a mistake means death. Whoever even looks like they have their s*** together, be it male or female, is likely to be recognized as pack leader and Haruka looks like he figured out how to play the game. That he becomes leader is pretty much inevitable. It's not like this class is particular mysognyst - they were willing to follow a girl, too, at least for awhile. It's more like Class Rep didn't manage to exploit her temporary advantage, so she lost control.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1