• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aspiring Animation Creator Alleges Corporate Bias Against Diverse Creators

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Brent Allison wrote:
Remember the old days when you paid X cents per text message? Someone should have a business where a user impulsively posts something off-the-cuff, but instead of it automatically posting to Twitter, FB, or wherever, it goes to a "social media filtering professional". This person could charge, I dunno, 50 cents to a dollar a message and then writes a more sanitized version, or simply advises the user to not let it appear at all. Think of the careers that will be saved! It could revolutionize the economy by providing more work-from-home jobs too! Just saying...

What's this got to do with the topic at hand? I think the user was very justified in sharing their experience.

But not the tone.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
But not the tone.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of "tone policing" in the abstract, but sadly social media is still not the best medium for strangers to understand someone else's anger and not simply dismiss it or thoughtlessly spread it. Hence my hire-your-own-tone-police idea.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of tone, putting any group in animation on blast, particularly one as notable as Women In Animation is a one-way ticket to being blacklisted for life. I do genuinely hope that she got some catharsis from calling out Crunchyroll for swearing off Avatar clones and shows that use diversity as their main means of advertising after High Guardian Spice blew up in their faces, because her career is for all intents and purposes, dead. She needs to get another job in another field because her career is over.

As for Crunchyroll, after what happened with that show, and probably being sold a false bill of goods on it by its creator, it’s little wonder they tried to completely paint over the show with tons of Webtoon adaptations. And if it’s a choice between this and say, My Wife is a Demon Queen, it’s easy to see why they would choose the latter.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Regardless of tone, putting any group in animation on blast, particularly one as notable as Women In Animation is a one-way ticket to being blacklisted for life. I do genuinely hope that she got some catharsis from calling out Crunchyroll for swearing off Avatar clones and shows that use diversity as their main means of advertising after High Guardian Spice blew up in their faces, because her career is for all intents and purposes, dead. She needs to get another job in another field because her career is over.

As for Crunchyroll, after what happened with that show, and probably being sold a false bill of goods on it by its creator, it’s little wonder they tried to completely paint over the show with tons of Webtoon adaptations. And if it’s a choice between this and say, My Wife is a Demon Queen, it’s easy to see why they would choose the latter.

Again, it remains to be seen once it’s fully released, especially after Onyx Equinox that’s getting some promo without the focus on diversity despite being made by a Latin woman.

I’ll say it again: execution is the key.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Not my cup of tea.. sounds like the company putting up the $$ (crunchyroll) realized that this project was not going to make $$. And it got the Axe.

This is happening in other mediums as well.. Marvel and DC Comics are proving diversity does not bring in the $$. If you can write a good story with likeable characters and have diversity by all means go for it. But to expect your project to succeed or fail based on any inter sectional political beliefs is silly.

I kinda feel sorry for this creator, as this comes off as more of a whine then anything actually deserving deep thought. Directly addressing an employer or even potential employer in this fashion is never a good idea. I hope this is not a lesson lost on her and that she can continue to create.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The problem with pushing diversity angles is just that: they push it. Rather than have it layered in as though it is normal, which is what it is, they go ahead with promotional campaigns like with HGS, which instantly put people off. The anti crowd will jump on it because that marketing is in your face, and there are those in the pro crowd that will also be ticked off because they are using them as a marketing tool rather than normalise things. The fact CR and by extension AT&T Time Warner didn't expect the backlash and push through kinda surprises me to be honest, though,
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quote
If we like it we'll find a way to support it. That's how this industry works. That's how the people running it knows how it works. This controversy about HGS started because they launched with a trailer that talked about nothing someone might actually watch the show for. It was a failure in marketing.

Diversity is the Veganism of entertainment.

There are good advocates for The Cause, and then there's the ones that won't stop talking about it to the point it affects their relationships and jobs.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
The fact CR and by extension AT&T Time Warner didn't expect the backlash and push through kinda surprises me to be honest, though,

Who says they didn't? Outrage farming is a common marketing tactic these days. Say something inflammatory in the marketing or PR articles and you're guaranteed to generate online discourse and discussion which is free advertising for your work. Companies do it all the time. The thing is I doubt it's actually effective, either for or against a product. You might get a few people who will watch a show or movie to "own the chuds/own the libs" but they're overall negligible numbers. Mainstream audiences don't care about this stuff. They'll either see something if it's something they're interested in, or they won't if it isn't.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Again, it remains to be seen once it’s fully released, especially after Onyx Equinox that’s getting some promo without the focus on diversity despite being made by a Latin woman.

I’ll say it again: execution is the key.

Equinox was getting laughed at pretty hard when it was first announced for all the usual reasons. The lesson was pretty clear, the association is set, and the viewing public won’t forgive these shows for the sins of the ones that came before. Too many occasions of “watch this or you’re racist”, “watch this or you’re sexist”, etc, etc.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Someone might need to advise the 22 year old creator that it takes time to get to the top. Expecting that people and companies are going to roll out the red carpet for you because you're diverse and peddling diverse wares is unrealistic at best.

Any show that touts diversity or forces diversity down my throat is one that I won't watch. I feel like a lot of shows are going down the route of "Let's have a minority LBTQ+ couple because it's the in thing!" right now and are consistently creating pairings only to highlight said pairings. I honestly don't care what color or sexual preference any character has but regardless, I don't want it constantly pointed out unless it's an important plot point. I will never support a show just because the main character is a minority character. Come back to me with an awesome execution, storyline and animation and then we'll talk.

The reason why older shows featuring couples were successful was because they weren't constantly pointing out the racial make-ups of their couples. People loved "I Love Lucy" because it was a genuinely funny show (albeit with some humor that hasn't aged well) and not because it solely focused on the different racial backgrounds of its two main characters.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Someone might need to advise the 22 year old creator that it takes time to get to the top. Expecting that people and companies are going to roll out the red carpet for you because you're diverse and peddling diverse wares is unrealistic at best.

Any show that touts diversity or forces diversity down my throat is one that I won't watch. I feel like a lot of shows are going down the route of "Let's have a minority LBTQ+ couple because it's the in thing!" right now and are consistently creating pairings only to highlight said pairings. I honestly don't care what color or sexual preference any character has but regardless, I don't want it constantly pointed out unless it's an important plot point. I will never support a show just because the main character is a minority character. Come back to me with an awesome execution, storyline and animation and then we'll talk.

The reason why older shows featuring couples were successful was because they weren't constantly pointing out the racial make-ups of their couples. People loved "I Love Lucy" because it was a genuinely funny show (albeit with some humor that hasn't aged well) and not because it solely focused on the different racial backgrounds of its two main characters.

Imagine having a take that characters can only be LGBT or of color so long as it’s important to the plot but every white and straight character can be straight and white without having plot relevance get out of here with that crap. I’m guessing you don’t complain about the thousands of shows with straight relationships or the thousands of shows that have majority white cast.

{Mod Edit} I edited your post. Leave out the insults. ~ Psycho 101
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
People loved "I Love Lucy" because it was a genuinely funny show (albeit with some humor that hasn't aged well) and not because it solely focused on the different racial backgrounds of its two main characters.

ActuallyI Love Lucy was groundbreaking and controversial in many ways, including the interracial, multicultural starring couple and the amount of power Lucille Ball, a *gasp* woman had over the production.

Quote:
1. CBS DIDN’T THINK AMERICANS WOULD BUY THAT LUCY WAS MARRIED TO A “FOREIGN” MAN.
When CBS approached Lucille Ball with the offer of turning her popular radio show My Favorite Husband into a television show, she was agreeable with one condition: that her real-life husband, Desi Arnaz, would be cast in the role of her spouse (played on the radio by Richard Denning). The network balked—there was no way that American viewers would accept average housewife Liz Cooper (her character’s name on the radio series) being married to a “foreign” man with an indecipherable accent. Never mind the fact that Lucy and Desi had been married more than a decade; such a “mixed” marriage was unbelievable.

Quote:
The show was groundbreaking in terms of a female taking the lead role, both on screen and behind the scenes. Some would say I Love Lucy paved the way for other sitcoms led by a female cast. And Lucille herself went on to break more ground as a comedienne, actress, television and film executive, producer and model.

Last edited by all-tsun-and-no-dere on Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Someone might need to advise the 22 year old creator that it takes time to get to the top.

To add, just the other day there was an article on Japan Today on the harsh world of screenwriters;
Code:
https://japantoday.com/category/entertainment/'90-of-what-you-experience-is-rejection'-the-world-of-screenwriting-as-told-by-japan-expat-matthew-allen

Note, the forum can't parse that url correctly, that's why in code...
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
The fact CR and by extension AT&T Time Warner didn't expect the backlash and push through kinda surprises me to be honest, though,

Who says they didn't? Outrage farming is a common marketing tactic these days. Say something inflammatory in the marketing or PR articles and you're guaranteed to generate online discourse and discussion which is free advertising for your work. Companies do it all the time. The thing is I doubt it's actually effective, either for or against a product. You might get a few people who will watch a show or movie to "own the chuds/own the libs" but they're overall negligible numbers. Mainstream audiences don't care about this stuff. They'll either see something if it's something they're interested in, or they won't if it isn't.

Oh I fully understand that, though the fact they are having cold feet now makes me kinda wonder what went wrong this time. Normally companies double-down, but unless they are seeing this reaction plus the reaction to Marvel's recent misadventure and thinking maybe they shouldn't push it
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:
Imagine having a take that characters can only be LGBT or of color so long as it’s important to the plot but every white and straight character can be straight and white without having plot relevance get out of here with that crap. You sound very ignorant by saying that, I’m guessing you don’t complain about the thousands of shows with straight relationships or the thousands of shows that have majority white cast. Mods of you want to delete this go ahead this is off topic but this person is showing their true colors.

Please show me where I wrote that "every white and straight character can be straight and white without having plot relevance". You can't because I didn't write that.

I don't think anyone's race, sexuality, etc. should ever be an issue or stressed on any show. I watch shows because the plot looks interesting.

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
ActuallyI Love Lucy was groundbreaking and controversial in many ways, including the interracial, multicultural starring couple and the amount of power Lucille Ball, a *gasp* woman had over the production.

Yes, and I never said it wasn't groundbreaking nor controversial. What I said was that the show was loved because it didn't harp on the multicultural element. Nor did it harp on the main character being a woman or a woman being in charge of the production. It was a genuinely funny show and that's why it was loved as much as it has been.

{Mod Edit} I edited your post. Leave out the flamebait comments about removing posts. ~ Psycho 101
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4