• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster Tamer

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Monster Tamer

A new series released by J-Novel Club digitally.

I quite enjoyed this novel. Finished it in one read through.

An entire Japanese High School gets transported to another world. Teachers, staff, and students.

After many causalities from monster attacks, it is discovered some have exceptional special abilities, some have mediocre special abilities, and most others no apparent abilities.

But not too long after, all semblance of modern civilized behavior disappears in a night of chaos, power grab, murder, rape, and terror. Which is where we meet our dying protagonist.

Which is where he learns, that he too has an ability, hence the title.

One of the strengths of this first novel in the series, is that it doesn't delve too much into the entire student body. Maybe in the future, there will be more interactions with the more powerful members of the transported students, but even right now we know nothing much of the teachers and staff, or even if they are alive or were killed off in the purge. There are monsters and powerful monsters, but the student body appears to be the most dangerous threat, because of their numbers, but also the doubt about there intentions.

There is no law, there are no institutions. Once things fell apart people's worst intentions come to the fore. For me this is the most realistic portrayal of what happens when things go to hell. Even those who wouldn't be considered evil before, many still let there baser impulses rule them. Rape is a feature in this, in that it is shown happening, but without the descriptors that are usually present. And the implication that while this has happened with this small group, it is happening across the greater group of the student body. It is the end of modern civilized behavior among the students.

This is what the main protagonist is fleeing. And his new power allows him to survive monster attacks and human attacks to some degree.

While some may say this is more of the same Isekai stuff, just dressed differently, and they probably wouldn't be wrong, I found this novel engaging, and I can't wait for more.

Supposedly there are local humans in the area, but they haven't been found yet.

In Overlord, one player is transported, in Arifureta a whole class is transported, and now we have a whole school student body transported. What's next, Tokyo?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Volume 2 was released digitally.

Finished it on my plane ride from Phoenix to Norfolk.

This volume mainly deals with the Monster Tamer and his monsters. Lot of character development among the group.

We don't learn much outside of the group. Though that will change when he meets the spoiler[local humans at the end of the novel]

spoiler[New monsters are tamed, new abilities discovered, and the edge of the forest discovered.]

I find the volume and the characters engaging. Wasn't able to put it down.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Volume 3 of Monster Tamer came out last night digitally.

We learn much more of the world outside of the forest.

There is more character development with Rose and Mana.

The residents of this world due to their historical circumstances are much too accepting of the new arrivals. Which is going to be a problem when they meet all the evil human students who betrayed and massacred the Colony. Even some of the rescued students, have started showing their true colors.

Guess with hero summoning, too much of a good thing, can be bad too.

Can't wait for the next book (Volume 4), and maybe someone willing to talk in these light novel threads.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Been reading the chapters as they come out weekly on J-Novel.

Well, things have been getting quite dire for some time now, with the latest chapters going to the nth degree.

Seems we have an over abundance of evil exploration team members.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
Just when you think things couldn't get even darker they do. I thought this chapter things would turn around, but they didn't.

I worry about Mana, not because she was kidnapped, but because of the warning Kudo gave her early.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1