• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Pretty Pretty Precure

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:26 am Reply with quote
I remember one of the pre-preview guides listing Precure as one of the shows being looked forward to, and I was thinking, "but isn't watching fansubs against ANN's code of conduct?"

Guess this explains why.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:54 am Reply with quote
As a couple of others have said, getting the movies would be good.

During some bad weather in November 2018 in Obihiro, Hokkaido, I watched both "I want to eat your pancreas" anime and a Precure movie at their Cinema Taiyo (which also had what they called 包みピザ / tsutsumi pizza which was a great snack):

...and the obligatory DANZEN!ふたりはプリキュア song in the closing credits.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I think I should start watching these =)

Hopefully this will lead to Mewkledreamy being legally streamed soon, I really wanna watch that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:02 am Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:

Yeah, while I'm extremely excited that Precure is finally legal to stream, I also took it as a sign that they gave up trying to market this to kids outside of Japan. As much as people harp on Glitter Force, it seems like that was their last chance to really enter the kids market. I'm happy as a long tme Precure fan, but a part of me is a little sad that the show will seemingly never be easily accessible to its target audience again.

Family check site Common Sense Media even has Glitter Force reviews by parents and kids.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:20 am Reply with quote
I'm with the penguin. It's better to do nothing than to have to deal with human beings.
TAnthonyAuld

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:21 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
If I had to rank all the recent series since Heartcatch, it'd probably look something like this

-Heartcatch
-Doki Doki
-Star Twinkle
-Go! Princess
-Smile
-Happiness Charge
-Suite
-Kirakira
-HUGtto
-Mahou Tsukai

I'm not going to rank Healin' Good yet since I like to wait until the end, but I'm liking it so far.

Overall it's nice to see some of Precure in the west, and hopefully the other series can eventually be added. Would also be nice to see the movies and other specials, but those generally never get picked up by Crunchyroll so I won't hold my breath.

I'm honestly surprised by the love for Heartcatch Precure. I didn't know it was that liked?
It warms my heart!
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
TAnthonyAuld wrote:
I'm honestly surprised by the love for Heartcatch Precure. I didn't know it was that liked?
It warms my heart!

I believe it was the first Precure series a lot of American fans watched. There might have been fansubs of the older series prior to it, but around Heartcatch's airing was when I noticed a lot of new people were first discovering the series. Perhaps that's a primary factor why it's so loved, but it's also a pretty solid series with great action and animation. The art is pretty distinct which is probably why it caught so many people's attention at the time.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
You dodged a bullet by ignoring À La Mode in favour of HealinGood. Traded one of the blandest seasons in the series (and annoying IMO with sugary treats forced onto everything) for a good one that also happens to have Best Girl Hinata.
For another series, heartcatch will always be the best option: accessible, energety designs and backgrounds, never gets boring and Erika, a larger goofball than Hinata, truly bringing the facegame to Precure.

As for Miple and Maple, Futari Wa fairies were very annoying. If not the worst, they got very close. Their abrasive and bratty personalities didn't make them very endearing.
All seasons have fairies, but not all fairies are made equal. Many seasons have a personal fairy for each Cure, but many don't. Some are good, some are annoying, some are part of te background.
On this I like to look back on Fresh, which had an awful magical baby but also had Kerberos' long lost brother and nothing else, so it was a net win. And sometimes a fairy can get a very nice promotion...

Quote:
I can easily imagine a shallower take where Nodoka wants to help because Helping Is Good and that's why she wants to be a doctor

We've actually had our fair share of those... also ones that do have a reasonable justification as well, like knowing how it is to feel truly helpless.

gsilver wrote:
It'll be nice if Splash Star gets brought over. I always thought that that one was really good.
Maybe I just have a soft spot for spoiler[Kintolesky, a giant muscled warrior, vs Korone, an ordinary housecat, who he is convinced is also a mighty warrior and a worthy opponent]

Though I haven't seen a Pretty Cure series since Smile, so I'm way behind the times.

Splash Star wasn't that special of a series but HE was.

El Hermano wrote:
If I had to rank all the recent series since Heartcatch, it'd probably look something like this

[snip]

Huh, mine would be very very different, something like this [adding the older series for good measure]
-Heartcatch
-Suite
-[Fresh]
-[Futari Wa]
-Hugtto
-[Yes! Precure 5]
-Go! Princess
-Mahoutsukai
-Star Twinkle
-Smile
-[Splash Star] (not really sure)
-DokiDoki (extra points for its gloriously ridiculous finale, minus points for that "betraying expectations" deal)
-Happinesscharge (I was so hyped for this one as well)
-KiraKira
-[Yes! Precure 5 GoGo]
-[Max Heart]

Although it's a lot of very samey seasons so I guess it's more about small variance rather than a huge difference in tastes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2