• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Adult Swim Announce Shenmue Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Hopefully this is a good anime, unlike most other anime based on SEGA franchises. Remember Sonic X? Yeah, that show was REALLY bad, even in its original Japanese version.
The first season wasn't very good, but the arcs that adapted Adventure 1 & 2 are pretty good retelling. And the last season had some good character moments.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:55 am Reply with quote
So what will Ryo be doing in the anime? Wander the streets aimlessly and chat with his neighbours? Collect minifigures, play games and darts, feed a cat, go home when it starts getting late? Ask where he can find some sailors, work at the harbour, race forklifts, challenge quicktime events and enjoy the sandbox feel? It might work but first they need to write a plot.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:04 am Reply with quote
I don't see how this is supposed to work. Shenmue in its form is something that can't really function well as an anime. Yes it has a story and the 2nd game maybe even enough to fill a season but that is just a small part of what makes these games so great. It's more about the exploration of your neighborhood at your own leisure, you taking your time to polish your moves and everything else in between like caring for a cat, collecting gacha figurines, going to the arcade and so on.
At least Yu Suzuki is the executive producer, but still I wouldn't expect too much.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:06 am Reply with quote
Love that visual. Definitely going to keep a close eye on this one
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:51 am Reply with quote
Telecom Animation Film is a solid studio but the source game scrips aren´t good or all that juicy adaptation wise and the director is a mediocre workman.
Then we have the 13 ep order. Another cheap middle of the road game to anime show it is then. On the pile it goes. Maybe it will have a nice OST?

Of interest. Sega on ANN: company#79
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:20 am Reply with quote
A Yakuza anime would be pretty cool too.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:31 am Reply with quote
Who asked for this?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:22 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Who asked for this?

Outside of how ever many "Shenmue" fans, maybe Japanese rights holders?
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
Man they should just let this old franchise die already. Watching it struggle to limp along for decades is just painful to watch.

The old Shenmue games just aren't that good, and the story is bland and stretched waaay beyond its limits. Unless they completely rewrite the story from the ground up you're gonna have the world's dullest anime.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:32 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Who asked for this?

With no hyperbole, a lot more people than Onyx Equinox.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Who asked for this?

I thought it, is that good enough?
faboo95

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
So what will Ryo be doing in the anime? Wander the streets aimlessly and chat with his neighbours? Collect minifigures, play games and darts, feed a cat, go home when it starts getting late? Ask where he can find some sailors, work at the harbour, race forklifts, challenge quicktime events and enjoy the sandbox feel? It might work but first they need to write a plot.

That would be awesome! Start the anime with an episode setting up the revenge plot, but then have the rest of the series just following Ryo doing mundane things
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
So does it have a plot? Just telling me the title really isn't enough to get me excited or put off by this.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So does it have a plot? Just telling me the title really isn't enough to get me excited or put off by this.

At its core it’s a revenge/detective story with kung fu. Bad guy kills hero’s father over possession of a mysterious artifact. Son vows revenge. Detective works leads to a massive Triad.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Man they should just let this old franchise die already. Watching it struggle to limp along for decades is just painful to watch.

The old Shenmue games just aren't that good, and the story is bland and stretched waaay beyond its limits. Unless they completely rewrite the story from the ground up you're gonna have the world's dullest anime.

That's simply not true. Both Shenmue and Shenmue II are great games and the story may not be the best but is everything but bland.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3