• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Adult Swim Announce Shenmue Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:29 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Sonic as a franchise has not been good in decades.

Yeah that largely depends on how much of a Stan your are for the old genesis era games, which of course not everyone is.
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Truly, Bloodstained and Eiyuden were robbed. Shenmue 3's time in the crowdfunding spotlight was pretty shallow in hindsight when it's known Sony was already throwing a tiny bone before the Kickstarter took off.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Trying to compare this to Sonic X is totally unfair. Besides being based on Sega properties, these two productions have zero in common.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I will reserve judgement for Shenmue before it premieres. I can only hypothesize that it will be a more condensed version of the first two or three games or a new plot divergence.

I'm honestly amazed this is getting made at all!
Beatdigga wrote:
Even on Twitter, people are asking for an intentionally awful dub. Which is stupid.
Why? Because the fans have been accustomed to that particular dub for 20 years and it's only natural to expect the same for the production of the anime with the same voice cast from the game?

Honestly, the calls for the dub to have the same cast as the game was pretty much a foregone conclusion. This should come as a surprise to no one.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:03 am Reply with quote
seoulman1985 wrote:
Truly, Bloodstained and Eiyuden were robbed. Shenmue 3's time in the crowdfunding spotlight was pretty shallow in hindsight when it's known Sony was already throwing a tiny bone before the Kickstarter took off.

What were they robbed of?
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:46 am Reply with quote
The honor of being the indie games to get the most crowdfunding out of Kickstarter.

Igarashi Kouji had been the name behind much of Castlevania after Symphony of the Night until the franchise took a different direction, so he left Konami on his own terms. Bloodstained was his creation, and it initially held the record thanks all the support it had, but then Shenmue III gets announced, and just broke the records, in the same year.

Eiyuden Chronicles recently met all its stretch goals thanks to some support and input from IGA, in addition to the fans and backers. Both endeavors had to drum up support from Kickstarter before getting backing from other major entities that would help make these games a reality.

To date, Shenmue III has the record, followed by Bloodstained and Eiyuden Chronicles. It's worth mentioning that when EC's Kickstarter launch, the site crashed due to overwhelming pledges and support. That'll be two years til the game is released, but given this is from the creative minds behind Suikoden, AND they got input from IGA, there's no doubt this will go far, meanwhile, Shenmue III is mired in its various blunders and flubs.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:45 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Why? Because the fans have been accustomed to that particular dub for 20 years and it's only natural to expect the same for the production of the anime with the same voice cast from the game?

Honestly, the calls for the dub to have the same cast as the game was pretty much a foregone conclusion. This should come as a surprise to no one.

Because that dub is to put it mildly, crap. Now is an opportunity to make it...not crap. To make it sound like something being said by someone whose first language is English. To throw that out in favor of the crap dub limits the show’s reach to the same people who realized when Shenmue III came out that the series wasn’t that great once you got by how impressive it was in 1999, and then they shouldn’t even bother.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
seoulman1985 wrote:
The honor of being the indie games to get the most crowdfunding out of Kickstarter.

Shenmue 3 had the advantage of being apart of an established brand compared to Bloodstained and that other game which are technically knockoffs of existing IPs. It also had the issue of it's eagerly anticipated 3rd game having been in the making for nearly 2 decades. Ultimately though it getting that designation over those two games is a a rather minor nitpick over all three games ultimately securing funding and development.

seoulman1985 wrote:

AND they got input from IGA, there's no doubt this will go far, meanwhile, Shenmue III is mired in its various blunders and flubs.

Were those blunders comparable to Mighty No.9's blunders and flubs?
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Cool news! I've been wanting to try out the games but this anime will be a great stepping stone for me.

I just wonder now who will be handling the English Dub?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3