• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bushiroad and NIJISANJI Are Taking Online Harassment Seriously

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I’m so glad this is being taken seriously. Bullying is not cool, online or otherwise. If we want a better, kinder world then the digital world needs to be a part of that also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
The timing... Mano never even got a chance to shine, and it's sad only until a little later after others' incidents happened and hers included that this president is set. Nijisanji basically fired shots here, now other agencies are have no excuse in taking protecting these talents more seriously.
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
If we want a better, kinder world then the digital world needs to be a part of that also.

Well said. We're all people taking a trip on this impossible rock together, and there's better ways to deal with matters than bullying.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Takedown notices for aggressive behavior? Define aggressive behavior because if it's a threat, that's grounds for arrest not for a post to be taken down, that's taking things too lightly.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate mention on Kimura-san suicide, many changes come from KyoAni attack. If KyoAni attacks not happen, Kimura-san suicide would have slowly brushed away from headlines.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote
No offense but I'll believe it when I see it. And a take-down notice isn't likely to do much when the person can just abandon the anonymous account and make a new one. I don't see any viable recourse, honestly, unless the person is using an established account. But these people usually make new accounts to do the bullying and what not. It's pathetic.
pokefreaks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm a fan of Shizaki Kanon and Shindou Amane, who have to face some haters which some are even BanG Dream! fan themselves, I felt more relived that they are taking it more seriously.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:42 am Reply with quote
One other thing they could probably do is get in touch with the platforms themselves. Coordinate with twitter devs or what have you. I don't know if twitter accounts get banned by moderators or if it's all automated, but social media platforms need to start taking harassment seriously as well.

At the very least it sounds like a step in the right direction, even if cops are universally useless.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
No offense but I'll believe it when I see it. And a take-down notice isn't likely to do much when the person can just abandon the anonymous account and make a new one. I don't see any viable recourse, honestly, unless the person is using an established account. But these people usually make new accounts to do the bullying and what not. It's pathetic.

They will be more difficult to find, leave a larger trail for law enforcement if necessary, and generally be discouraged from benefiting from their malicious activity by gaining presence and recognition in social media. If the reach is weakened, the effects will be weakened too. Plus people will be more wary about crossing the line.

I'm happy that Aloe got a mention in this article. Her case was devastating as she was barely a newcomer who got maliciously attacked by her harassers taking advantage of her unknown status and painting a negative picture of her from social media posts from many years ago.

Last edited by #914276 on Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

A bunch of anti accounts on twitter were already yeeted by those people themselves (probably because they're afraid of legal consequences), so it already works.

Hoppy800 wrote:
Takedown notices for aggressive behavior? Define aggressive behavior because if it's a threat, that's grounds for arrest not for a post to be taken down, that's taking things too lightly.

They're clarified that on top of "taking down posts/videos etc" they would fill reports to police/court, accompany liver/talent/employee to a police station where they would be provided with better protection (in case of being stalked e.g.) and do a lot of others things:
Quote:
● 被害を受けたタレント等に対する救済措置の実施
タレント等に対する「攻撃的行為」や「誹謗中傷行為」が発生した場合、当社は、主に下記の内容での被害者救済措置を実施いたします。
① 産業医によるメンタルケア
② 誹謗中傷行為に該当するインターネット上の情報の送信防止措置
③ 被害者が警察署へ出頭する際の対策チームのメンバーによる同行
④ 警備の強化

● 加害者に対する責任追及措置の実施
当社は、「攻撃的行為」や「誹謗中傷行為」の加害者に対しては、下記の内容での責任追及措置を実施いたします。なお、事案の性質に応じて、外部法律事務所等の第三者機関とも連携のうえ対応してまいります。
① 警察への被害届の提出
② インターネットプロバイダ等への発信者情報開示請求
③ 加害者に対する損害賠償請求
④ 加害者の各種SNSアカウント等が判明している場合の加害者への対策チームからの直接的コンタクト
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:45 am Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

A bunch of anti accounts on twitter were already yeeted by those people themselves (probably because they're afraid of legal consequences), so it already works.

I disagree. Making a new account is free. That's exactly my point. It's not really punishment. They just make a new account and resume their attacks. Like a bad ex-girlfriend. The smarter ones also use proxies and such so their IP can't be tracked. I'd bet that at worst this will scare off some less knowledgeable of them but the worst offenders with a lot of experience doing this won't be affected at all.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I disagree. Making a new account is free. That's exactly my point. It's not really punishment. They just make a new account and resume their attacks. Like a bad ex-girlfriend. The smarter ones also use proxies and such so their IP can't be tracked. I'd bet that at worst this will scare off some less knowledgeable of them but the worst offenders with a lot of experience doing this won't be affected at all.

Of course it's not a punishment, but much less people would dare to spread hate/harass towards livers/talents/employee. The punishment would be a legal action(s) against those who would dare to doxx/stalk/harass those people.
Ofc there's ways for some people to evade a detection, but come on - it's a small percentage of people. The real threat comes not from anonymouse, but from stalkers or doxxers that call on your phone. Not to mention that Ichikara would provide a help with protection and mental health treatment.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Hololive followed suit.

https://cover-corp.com/2020/09/08/2307/

Hopefully, it will cut down on the crazies on 5ch that want to make Vtubers suffer.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:59 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

. I'd bet that at worst this will scare off some less knowledgeable of them but the worst offenders with a lot of experience doing this won't be affected at all.

Scaring of smaller less knowledgeable but many is pretty effective since the worst ones tends to do it for attention. It's better to prevent the worst from coming than cleaning up them.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
i think the biggest hurdle might be getting the JP police to take anything but the most serious harassment seriously enough to devote resources to. There's always a way to find those even using obfuscation tactics, it's just a manner of getting enough resources to take action enough to curtail things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1