• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion Theme 'Cruel Angel's Thesis' Tops Anisong General Election

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
The most important news here is obviously Butterfly being in fourth place which I’m glad so many people still love Wada Kouji.
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Is that an UtaPri song??
I approve.
akamarulover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:05 am Reply with quote
Did I just overestimate the popularity of Cowboy Bebop OP? I knew it was more popular in America, but couldn't even make top 30?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:29 am Reply with quote
The lack of respect that anisong artists like Chiaki Ishikawa/See-Saw, Mikuni Shimokawa, Ichiko, and Mami Kawada get in these lists is just ridiculous.

The songs in this list were picked mostly not because of the actual quality of the song but rather the popularity of the anime. Disappointing.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:58 am Reply with quote
akamarulover wrote:
Did I just overestimate the popularity of Cowboy Bebop OP? I knew it was more popular in America, but couldn't even make top 30?

Cowboy Bebop was never particularly popular in Japan. The fact that the song is instrumental and doesn't have much "remixes" like Lupin's theme don't help either.

I'm surprised that Inferno made it to top 10, I know it's pretty popular, but I didn't expect it to be THAT popular.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:41 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Ya, I guess I meant "recently". In the last year there's literally been hundreds of different covers for Gurenge. Tenshi has probably had more online but they've been staggered throughout the years.

I guess it can't be helped, since Demon Slayer came out in the era of mainstream internet, and any show/movie/song that becomes popular now suddenly pops up everywhere until it annoys the heck out of people, regardless of its actual quality.

I'm sure if Evangelion had come out in the late 2010s, we'd all be sick of Cruel Angel's Thesis too.

I always say that I'm glad The Lion King came out in the 90s. Can you imagine if Hakuna Matata became as ubiquitous as Let It Go? I'd jump off a bridge Laughing
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The lack of respect that anisong artists like Chiaki Ishikawa/See-Saw, Mikuni Shimokawa, Ichiko, and Mami Kawada get in these lists is just ridiculous.

The songs in this list were picked mostly not because of the actual quality of the song but rather the popularity of the anime. Disappointing.

I think that's kind of a given for any popular-vote contest like this. Like nothing against Gurenge at all, it slaps pretty hard, but at the end of the day it's pretty straightforward peppy J-rock that didn't seem particularly memorable to me. First place was a given as the ur-opening, and it was great to see Yamato place so highly, but damn if Lupin's theme shouldn't be right the hell at the top too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2