• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aggretsuko Season 3 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babaca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
You do realize that the original ona was only 2 minutes long? So that is probably where you were getting the "rushed" vibes of some of it. Download the Aggrestsuko game and if you win you get to download those 100 episodes 1 two minute episode at a time. LOL.

Overall I thought the 3rd season was much stronger than the 2nd one. I do agree with you on that.

DUB? You were watching the dub? I guess I'll have to try that. The subs weremighty fun.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:46 am Reply with quote
^The dub is fantastic. Fenneco’s voice is my favorite, but the whole production is top notch.

I loved season 3. I was also apprehensive about the pure wish fulfillment fantasy of Retsuko joining an idol group, but by the end, I was totally on board (and it kind of makes sense for someone with such a unique singing talent to try out singing in front of an audience, right?)
I was also completely pulled in by Haida’s subplot. I don’t remember the last time I was this torn about a love triangle! It helps that Inui had an absolutely adorable character design (was she supposed to be a collie? A King Charles spaniel? So cute!) and she was a genuinely cool person who had a lot of things in common with Haida.

On that note, I was very impressed with the last 2 episodes spoiler[First they tackled the dangers of obsessive fans. Then they didn’t immediately dismiss or write away Retsuko’s realistic trauma reaction. And then, when Haida tries to simultaneously push her to “pull herself by her bootstraps” out of trauma and push his feelings on her, she rejected him! Even though I was rooting for him, it was gratifying to hear her sing “your feelings are not my problem.” They still left room for them to develop a relationship (slowly, with reciprocal relationship building) but the fantasy of the romantic hero as emotional savior and love confession as cure-all was taken down a notch in a satisfying way. Kudos to this show for not treating a woman’s feelings as a prize a guy can win by physically saving her.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1