• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, J.C. Staff Co-produce Sing a Bit of Harmony Original Anime Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matsushima

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:16 am Reply with quote
Nice. It's been awhile since Yasuhiro Yoshiura's last film.
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:19 am Reply with quote
Oh boy... In spite of being produced by JC Staff (famous for the delightfully adorable/hilarious/sexy fanservice of Index/Railgun) You can already see the Funimation Influence in the designs of the girls:

Namely, conservatively long skirts and baggy oversized shirts to better de-emphasize their legs and bust sizes. The better to NOT scare off investors and distributors in conservative countries.

It seems Amazon and Australia's recent sledgehammer-ban on any Anime/Manga/Light-Novel with remotely sexy female characters have scared Funimation into complying with conservative values, the better to distribute nominally Japanese Anime without the red tape of "moral" outrage getting in the way.

What better way to not have red tape to cross at all, if they just pre-emptively make "Anime" palatable to the values of said conservatives, who have nothing better to do with their lives than to judge other countries for trying to share their culture with the West.

Oh this cannot bode well for Freedom of Artistic Expression for Anime/Manga/Light-Novels in the future.... Sad
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:24 am Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:
Oh boy... In spite of being produced by JC Staff (famous for the delightfully adorable/hilarious/sexy fanservice of Index/Railgun) You can already see the Funimation Influence in the designs of the girls:

Namely, conservatively long skirts and baggy oversized shirts to better de-emphasize their legs and bust sizes. The better to NOT scare off investors and distributors in conservative countries.

It seems Amazon and Australia's recent sledgehammer-ban on any Anime/Manga/Light-Novel with remotely sexy female characters have scared Funimation into complying with conservative values, the better to distribute nominally Japanese Anime without the red tape of "moral" outrage getting in the way.

What better way to not have red tape to cross at all, if they just pre-emptively make "Anime" palatable to the values of said conservatives, who have nothing better to do with their lives than to judge other countries for trying to share their culture with the West.

Oh this cannot bode well for Freedom of Artistic Expression for Anime/Manga/Light-Novels in the future.... Sad

Damn, do you need a heat pack for your shoulders after all this stretching?

__
Anyway, it's a shame Kanna Kii's designs didn't transfer very well to this. The poster looks really nice but their style isn't very recognisable in the actual animation IMO
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:41 am Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:
Oh boy... In spite of being produced by JC Staff (famous for the delightfully adorable/hilarious/sexy fanservice of Index/Railgun)
Not to mention, J.C. Staff is "infamous" for not-so-quality animation of One Punch Man season 2.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:45 am Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:

Or... because it's produced by JC Staff, it features the kind of non-fanservice-oriented character designs seen in shows like Nodame Cantabile, Sweet Blue Flowers, Honey & Clover, Azumanga Daioh, Zakuro, Amanchu, Living for the Day After Tomorrow, Someday's Dreamers, and Snow Fairy Sugar. If the director's previous works like Time of Eve and Patema Inverted weren't known for sexy outfits on female characters, why should we expect Sing a Bit of Harmony to be any different?

But I guess the possibility of "Japanese creators decide to eschew sex appeal once in a while" just doesn't exist for those in the terminal stages of Funimation Derangement Syndrome.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:16 am Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:

If you don't like Funimation, then boycott them. Unsubscribe to their service and don't buy any of their products. Not spout BS like this.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:38 am Reply with quote
...Is this pre-scored? The singing looks pre-scored.
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:41 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

If you don't like Funimation, then boycott them. Unsubscribe to their service and don't buy any of their products. Not spout BS like this.

I never was subscribed to them. I have never forgiven them since the 1990's for mangling the Superpowerd Wuxia-Classic "Dragonball Z" into a Hana Barbara kung-fu "comedy", with their deliberately corny dub, replacing Kikuichi Shunsuke's majestic orchestral score with mindless droning techno, unnecessary sanitation of violence and wiping as many Asian references as they humanly-could until the story resembled Scooby-Doo with Kung fu (complete WITH frequent use of said moronic Hana Barbara sound effects) than a Martial Arts Anime.

I have been a strict Subtitled Original Asian Audio Loyalist since the 1990's thanks to slap-in-the-face treatment of companies like Funimation towards Asian Media.

Live Action Western Companies are no better, as Miramax, the western distributor of Jet Li's "Hero" digitally made his eyes on the poster narrower and sinister to make him more in line with the "threatening mysterious Oriental stereotype" , and replaced his Chinese-Sword with a Japanese Katana because western film-goers can't tell, and refuse to learn, the difference between Asian Cultures. The PRECISE same conservative suburban target audience to the 1990's mangled English dub of Dragonball Z.

And now, thanks to the resurgence of conservatism and a pressure to ban any and all Anime more risque than an episode of Full House or The Brady Bunch, Funimation it seems is going RIGHT BACK to their 1990's practices again, but by pre-emptively making conservative-westerner-safe "Anime" this time, so there won't BE anything to edit.

Last edited by Lin Liren on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:51 am Reply with quote
Too early for me to judge but seeing Funimation name in there really doesn't help build excitement. Too much western influence and it ends up being blah. For many reasons. It's a problem that a lot of anime and gaming studios have. They'll get popular globally and then want to hold onto the popularity so they try to cater to western tastes and ideals. But it always backfires because they ignore what made them popular to begin with. People liked them because they were not western. Catering to western tastes is the opposite of what most anime and J-game fans want. Every show with western influence that I've seen has had this same problem. Especially Funimation. So while I like premise it's very hard for me to get excited. The art also looks weird. Oddly baggy yet somehow staying on as if it was tight.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:01 am Reply with quote
This movie looks pretty cute! I'll probably watch it when it comes out.

Quote:

...And why is that a bad thing? Who put salt in your cool-Aid? Also, JC Staff have done plenty of anime that aren't fanservice fests, as Zalis mentioned already. Besides, FUNi have licensed plenty of risque anime like High School DxD, Maken-Ki, Nekopara, and many others. That's not something conservative or prudish companies would do, so you really shouldn't make wild generalizations like that.

Last edited by FireChick on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
JRPictures

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:17 am Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:

JC Staff have produced anime that are not fan service excessive. Not only that, the character designer for this created the Umibe no Étranger manga where the characters are also designed in a way not to flaunt themselves sexually. Not to mention the entire tone of this film from the trailer and plot synopsis implies that it's going to be a largely wholesome, heartwarming & uplifting kind of story where sexuality of any kind is likely not to factor in much at all.

But of course, I'm sure you'll ignore all these points because spreading pointless hate and speculation reigns over any kind of logic.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:51 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Too early for me to judge but seeing Funimation name in there really doesn't help build excitement. Too much western influence and it ends up being blah. For many reasons. It's a problem that a lot of anime and gaming studios have. They'll get popular globally and then want to hold onto the popularity so they try to cater to western tastes and ideals. But it always backfires because they ignore what made them popular to begin with. People liked them because they were not western. Catering to western tastes is the opposite of what most anime and J-game fans want. Every show with western influence that I've seen has had this same problem. Especially Funimation. So while I like premise it's very hard for me to get excited. The art also looks weird. Oddly baggy yet somehow staying on as if it was tight.

I can get what you mean, but it sounds like if every one of them are horrible which I think is a gross generalization.
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:38 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Anyway, it's a shame Kanna Kii's designs didn't transfer very well to this. The poster looks really nice but their style isn't very recognisable in the actual animation IMO
The boy on the right at 0:20 has inherited Shun's face game. There's still hope.

My first reaction to the poster was "no way, did they get--" and they did. Talk about an overnight success. A couple of BL serials and a handful of het oneshots, and now a second movie credit announced the day Umibe hits theaters.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:46 am Reply with quote
Out of all the kinds of anime FUNimation is co-producing, I didn't expect some kind of musical! Can we at least appreciate the fact it's not just another bog-standard action fantasy/sci-fi whatever?

And I know Kanna Kii is just providing character designs and not the actual story, but man it would be neat if this ended up being gay.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:54 am Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:

Japan is a conservative country though Laughing

I'm definitely wary of anything Funimation is involved in, but at the same time this is an original movie they're making so even if it turns out bad It ain't really a big deal. But it depends how involved they are. If they're co-writing it then that's one thing, but if it's just their investment money being used and them just getting the licensing rights in return then that's another thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3