• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Rose of Versailles, Hajime no Ippo, Project A-Ko Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6etNWtfEtXY&t=256s

It's Tobikage! Hide your wallets!
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Just got done watching Rose of Versailles a couple of months ago. Such a wonderful show that's aged extremely well,and I'm happy that I'm able to upgrade to blu-rays! Will probably pick up Hajime no Ippo,due to so many good things I hear about it.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Hajime no Ippo? That's a pleasant surprise given the Geneon from like 15 years ago bombed, and hasn't been picked up again until now. I guess it was just poor marketing, release format, and popularity of sports anime/manga outside of Japan at the time, cause I do believe it did well on Crunchyroll. Anyway, hopefully it sells well this time, and who knows, maybe it could lead to another season of the anime.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
I also have those Rose of Versailles dvds in my backlog, but I won't be getting the BDs since I never bothered to watch the copy I already have (or at least not yet).

Konosuba 2 is a definite buy and I'm sure I'll be getting Symphogear S 1&2. Project A-Ko will also be a buy, though I curious to see how it looks first.

I'm going to wait to see on the the Cobra TV BDs since I was pretty happy with the quality of the DVDs RightStuf put out, so I have to see some comparisons. If it's significant I'll probably upgrade them.

I enjoyed Black Heaven, but I don't think enough to upgrade those. I might pick up the Battle Athletes set, though I'd like to see some comparison shots on that too, but I imagine there's going to be a marked difference.

I'm thinking of starting City Hunter tomorrow (picked up both parts of the first season recently), so it was nice to see that the rest is streaming and the implication that more is coming to BD.

Ninja Robots seemed... interesting. Hopefully this one gets reviewed here.

I enjoyed the stream, so hopefully they can do it again before the end of the year Smile
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:08 am Reply with quote
Is the Project A-KO one just first one or all of them? Ether way I'm going to have upgrade my DVD of the first one.

Battle Athletes Victory is also a get because I always wanted to watch it but never got around to it. I'm also a sucker for old Pioneer dubs because they did some great OP and ED dubs of the songs (the Tenchi Series comes to mind).

And Holy Dempsey Rolls Hajime no Ippo! It's very unlikely their will ever be a 4th season but I could see when the Manga is ending (so never?) their could be a OVA or Movie. The Reddit page will be going nuts soon.

Last edited by ZelosZoidberg on Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:35 am; edited 2 times in total
DopeyDragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:31 am Reply with quote
I will be eagerly following the Tobikage release for more on the search for the Ninja Robots dub and its staff. That was honestly the most shocking and bizarre thing they revealed and I'm here for it. These are the kinds of releases that really endear Discotek to me.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
All I needed was Symphogear G being confirmed and got it!

Sigh of utter relief with that one. The other announcements were good to be sure. A lot of really nice ones and should make for a great year ahead in terms of picking up great shows. But easily the highlight came at the end there with one of the best seasons of Symphogear getting confirmed. Hopefully they keep this rolling steady and release a season per year.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:59 am Reply with quote
Rose of Versailles will be a day-one purchase for me. I missed out on the initial DVD release and had regretted it ever since.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:08 am Reply with quote
Battle Athletes! Woo! That is exciting. I had hoped that the announcement of the new series would help push someone to re-license the original. I always enjoyed the series but hated Pioneer's butchered release. It sounds like DiscoTek is going to be fixing a lot of those mistakes.

I'll probably pick up Devil(man) Lady as well. The ending is spoiler[depressing as hell] but the show is really good overall, and does a good job of rising above its initial monster-of-the-week vibe.
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
Discotek Media normally licenses old anime, but they grabbed Konosuba 2?! Which means that they got to the license before the original licensing company or...am I missing something?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:59 am Reply with quote
Title, title, title, Battle Athletes...

Stop. It's both the OVA and Victory series with the dub and the video fixed plus some unreleased extras all on a SD BD disc? Sounds almost ideal.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:27 am Reply with quote
loveliver wrote:
Project A-Ko is NOT a new license for Discotek. They released this back on DVD years ago. License announced 10 years ago.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-07-27/discotek-adds-2-galaxy-express-999-films-project-a-ko

But the fact they're planning to release Project A-Ko on Blu-Ray is news, especially given how they described the situation in their panel. Apparently, there aren't good enough film masters (or a Japanese BD?) to make a Blu-Ray, so they're using a process by which they go back to LaserDiscs and use a new invention called a "Domesday Device" which supplies the raw RF signal off an LD player, to give them a clean-as-possible source to upscale. However, since LDs have likely experienced bit rot since they were pressed 30 years ago, they're going to use five separate copies of the A-Ko LD and combine the results. And then do a frame-by-frame restoration. The slide from the presentation is here: https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1305689881490780161

Akemi Tachibana wrote:
Discotek Media normally licenses old anime, but they grabbed Konosuba 2?! Which means that they got to the license before the original licensing company or...am I missing something?

They've done a few more recent anime… Konosuba, as you mentioned, but also Symphogear. And stuff like Hells and True Tears aren't that old. I wonder if for something like Konosuba, either they licensed home video rights from Crunchyroll, or if Crunchyroll only ever got streaming rights and home video remained up for grabs.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:27 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Battle Athletes Victory is also a get because I always wanted to watch it but never got around to it. I'm also a sucker for old Pioneer dubs because they did some great OP and ED dubs of the songs (the Tenchi Series comes to mind).

Just so you know, they didn't do that with the Battle Athletes songs, but the dub itself has held up well enough for what it is--it's still as listenable as El Hazard in my opinion.

Akcoll99 wrote:
I'll probably pick up Devil(man) Lady as well. The ending is spoiler[depressing as hell] but the show is really good overall,

True, but it's still spoiler[a technically happier ending] by comparison to Devilman Crybaby.

This article and Discotek absolutely made my day. Devil Lady and Battle Athletes? Both of which definitive Yuri classics? I had been waiting far too long for these titles, Discotek, especially with the latter (and just in time before the sequel series comes out). Not to mention that the Battle Athletes TV series will likely have the epilogue ending to the last episode that had forever been absent on the original Pioneer release. Much, much, much appreciated, here's hoping that new fans will have their chance to check these titles out! Woo-hoo!!!
paulchaested

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:28 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I wonder if for something like Konosuba, either they licensed home video rights from Crunchyroll, or if Crunchyroll only ever got streaming rights and home video remained up for grabs.

It’s definitely a sub license from CR. CR commissioned the dub and on the back of the blu ray case of S1, you can see CR’s name and logo imprinted on it which is clear indication that they are the holder of the master license.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:02 am Reply with quote
Akemi Tachibana wrote:

Like the first season, it's part of their ongoing distribution deal with Crunchyroll.

invalidname wrote:
But the fact they're planning to release Project A-Ko on Blu-Ray is news, especially given how they described the situation in their panel.

But it's not a new license, that's the point loveliver's trying to make because it gives the impression that they lost the license at one point or never had it but they did in 2010 (and 2017 for the sequels which are also getting Blu-ray releases).

This is the second time this reporter has added already-known licenses as if they are new since last week, he claimed all of Dancouga & 1001 Nights were newly-announced licenses when the former's TV series was originally announced 3 years ago for DVD and the latter was during their last online panel back in May. Thankfully that article was edited to remove them (though they still can be seen through both Twitter accounts) so maybe the same can happen here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4