• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Announces Final Fantasy XVI Game for PS5, PC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:47 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
I have all the faith in the world in Yoshi P., but I would be lying if I said I was extremely enthusiastic after watching the trailer. I was really hoping for a more traditional FF game. Oh well, I will still probably enjoy it.

There's no such thing as a "traditional" FF game; the whole point of the franchise has been to try new things. Trying to force the games to carry on a "tradition" was what made them stagnant for so long.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:51 am Reply with quote
The gameplay looks cool but other than that is isn't really exciting me. It's the same dev team, so it's understandable, but it really does look like an FF14 expansion. Giving me some 12 vibes too... both entries I find really plain, character and setting-wise. I hope the actual game changes my mind.

meiam wrote:

But there's pretty much no traditional JRPG being made anymore, every half decade we get a DQ game and that's pretty much it (well atelier game here and there, but their quality is so bare bone it's impossible to care).

If you'd look past Atelier's simple graphics, you'll probably find the kind of game you're looking for.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
this statement makes no sense. The only footage that exists is PC. Most the time PC versions are the first ones made. This was even true for FFXV. They just artificially hold back because Sony pays them to. It being "in development" has nothing to do with the PC version specifically not releasing "anytime soon". Though I doubt even the PS5 version is coming out soon.

PC versions are usually delayed because of the work necessary to figure out compatibility with a variety of different PC configurations and implement custom settings. Some can manage simultaneous releases. Many stagger them because console optimization for fixed specs is simpler and quicker.

It could also be acase of waiting for more widespread availibility of faster SSD adoption if those specs are critical.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope this time we get a bit of romance.
We did not have any romance in FF (for main chars) since FF10 ....
And Yoshi P is not know for that...
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:05 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Traditional JRPG are really going extinct, aside from the deluge of RPG maker.

They are still making the Trails series.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
meiam wrote:
Traditional JRPG are really going extinct, aside from the deluge of RPG maker.

They are still making the Trails series.

Falcom recently stated to Famitsu that the next Trails game will have a new battle system with "action elements and greater real-time nature"
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:

Falcom recently stated to Famitsu that the next Trails game will have a new battle system with "action elements and greater real-time nature"

Oh, lol. Though I'm not sure what that means. Then again I personally wouldn't mind even if the series went to real-time combat.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:

Oh, lol. Though I'm not sure what that means. Then again I personally wouldn't mind even if the series went to real-time combat.

Think it's speculated to be something like YS but different.

However there is also games like Bravely Default that is turned based, and isn't the Atelier series turn based? I haven't played those games in a minute so I don't remember.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Cam0 wrote:

Think it's speculated to be something like YS but different.

However there is also games like Bravely Default that is turned based, and isn't the Atelier series turn based? I haven't played those games in a minute so I don't remember.

Each entry has some extra little attempts to innovate, but yeah, they're still all at their core turn-based. The last two games had a sharp increase in quality, too. They're obviously not FF-levels of graphics, but not everything has to be photorealistic.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Yay! Another Final Fantasy to add to my Steam library! Smile

Now if S-E can just release I & II on Steam, it would make the PC the only platform to hold all numbered titles from the main series!

these games are garbage though. If they are going to port this to pc they would have to put the psp anniversary editions. final fantasy 1 by itself , the android version I cleared in 59 minutes 42 seconds. Complete garbage. the only pc port we want is the psp anniversary edition. It includes all the cutscenes from the ps1 edition + multiple difficulties, language options and the extras from dawn of souls for gba.

That is why we dont' have that yet.

However, if SE is true to their word, they are still bound to the road map they published 2 years ago that says ff 1 and ff2 are going to get pc ports.

Personally, after the dissapointment that was FF1 on android, I'd rather just get the FF Legends , adventure of mana and crystal chronicles as well as have them port over the old DQ games stuck on android.

But they dont' seem to care tbh.
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:34 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So I guess turn base final fantasy is well and truly dead, the gameplay of FF1 to 13 is gone, to be replaced by the gameplay of FF15, Wohoo Rolling Eyes

It looks more like a devil may cry than anything really, which I just don't really care for. Traditional JRPG are really going extinct, aside from the deluge of RPG maker.

Everyone keeps forgetting about World of Final Fantasy, which has ATB, like that of FF9 and prior FF games. It did leave room for a sequel too. I guess it was overshadowed by XV. It is a wonderful game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3