• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Shaman King Anime's Teaser Reveals Cast, Staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I never read this or saw the original anime and the synopsis in the article is rather generic. Would anyone mind sharing a slightly longer, spoiler free, synopsis to help spur some more interest?
Joa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
El Hermano wrote:

I don't see why they would change Chocolove just for Americans. Promised Neverland seemed to do just fine despite some people complaining about Sister Krone. These designs aren't really seen as a big deal in Japan, although maybe whoever licenses it might censor it but that's on them if they try to market it towards kids here again.
They gave Mr. Popo a redesign for DBZ Kai

Wasn't that only the Toonzai version? Pretty sure his design was unchanged in the Japanese version.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:12 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I never read this or saw the original anime and the synopsis in the article is rather generic. Would anyone mind sharing a slightly longer, spoiler free, synopsis to help spur some more interest?

Basically a battle shounen where people can utilize the power of ghosts and fuse with them to gain their abilities. They're all competing to be the Shaman King in a tournament. I guess you could say it's kinda like Soul Eater with the weapon partners, if you've ever seen that.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:48 am Reply with quote
Joa wrote:

Wasn't that only the Toonzai version? Pretty sure his design was unchanged in the Japanese version.
Ah yes that's right but there have been in other cases in anime most famously the redesign of Jynx in Pokemon.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:46 am Reply with quote
Joa wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They gave Mr. Popo a redesign for DBZ Kai

Yes and only on Toonzai, the Nicktoons & Toonami broadcasts and home video version were unchanged as well.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Basically a battle shounen where people can utilize the power of ghosts and fuse with them to gain their abilities. They're all competing to be the Shaman King in a tournament. I guess you could say it's kinda like Soul Eater with the weapon partners, if you've ever seen that.

I mean that's like saying Yu yu Hakuso is kinda like DBZ because characters shoot beams, but otherwise you're right! It's a spiritual battle manga that ruminates on the pointlessness of fighting, at times. Surprised

Covnam, I suggest even a cursory google search if you want to know more? If it sounds good, the whole manga will be up on Comixolgy(ugh) for relatively cheap soon-ish, hopefully!
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:10 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Thanks Smile So basically a tournament show?

Gem-Bug wrote:
If it sounds good, the whole manga will be up on Comixolgy(ugh) for relatively cheap soon-ish, hopefully!

Appreciate the suggestion, but I'll just stick to the anime. I'm reading enough right now without adding a 30+ volume series to my list Laughing
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

There isn't a tournament until later in the manga.

The first few chapters are more lighthearted and goofy; the mc just uses his powers to communicate with ghosts and solve problems. Then other shamans appear and it becomes a battle shounen.

So kind of like what happened with Katekyo hitman reborn or Mahou sensei negima
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

I don't see why they would change Chocolove just for Americans. Promised Neverland seemed to do just fine despite some people complaining about Sister Krone. These designs aren't really seen as a big deal in Japan, although maybe whoever licenses it might censor it but that's on them if they try to market it towards kids here again.

Less to do with marketing the show towards kids and more than it's the kind of thing that international audiences in general would frown upon these days. And while I've seen Mr. Popo get brought up, there's a loooooooaaaad of difference between a blackfaced alien who's largely in the background, and character with a design based off of 1920's black caricatures who's part of the main cast (there was the stuff with Sister Krone in TPN too, but the anime did tone down her facial expressions a lot from how gross they could be in the manga, so if anything that just further emphasizes the point). The latter is gonna draw a lot more negative attention, and while audiences in Japan might not care, it could affect how the show will do oversees and that does matter a lot more to anime production these days than it used to.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

They already changed it for the Kodansha release by removing the big pink lips. Won't be surprised if his anime counterpart gets a similar treatment.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Will say thought it was interesting in the old show and its dub that Anna was Bulbasaur in English while her Japanese va was Pidgeotto on both sides of the Pacific.

While it's been a bit and don't have the thoughts of nostalgic casting, especially since I missed much of the episodes that would introduce said new characters, perhaps a dub could have accents that fit more. Never heard his voice, but heard Lyserg didn't have a British accent in the old one, which could've fit. Was one I read him having in the Viz manga.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:55 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
They already changed it for the Kodansha release by removing the big pink lips. Won't be surprised if his anime counterpart gets a similar treatment.

That's only the American release which from what I've heard is just the original Viz version which was also censored back then too. I doubt the anime will change anything, at least on the Japanese side. They didn't change other characters like Mr. Popo from Dragonball Super, Darkshine from One Punch Man, or Krone for The Promised Neverland. I see some people saying Krone was toned down in the anime but eh I don't see it myself. Plenty of scenes are shot for shot remake of the manga. The anime even gave her that creepy doll toy that wasn't in the manga that also has a lot of other stereotypes and connotations associated with it. Any perceived differences might just be because sometimes the anime looks kinda cheap next to the more detailed and expressive manga art but that happens in more scenes than just Krone ones.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
While I understand in regards to his design and it should be change, as a black man myself, I greatly disagree in regards to his backstory, Its powerful,emotional and all too real ( at least in regards to my own experience) people don't seem to understand that point of the backstory was to show you how Chocolove wasn't always about jokes laughter, back in the day the man felt pain, anger and sorrow and how did channel all that ? spoiler[ by Killing people ] he didn't live a good life and wasn't until he meet you know who that changed his life to the character we know now, if they removed it, any backstory he gets wouldn't be as good and would actually destroy chocolove's character a good example is the 2001 backstory its utter garbage and it doesn't do Chocolove's character any justice, so hopefully the new anime actually follows the real story and keep's the backstory.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:40 pm Reply with quote
The Chocolove situation isn't that hard to figure out. Just give him a redesign that makes him look less stereotypical. That's what they did with Pyunma in most recent versions of Cyborg 009.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For me the appeal of Shaman King is in the strong character writing and the supernatural themes and it has a good solid balance of action, comedy, and serious moments with a large cast of likable characters. I also like Yoh is a more laid back character and not the usual hotheaded protagonist you see in a lot of shonen action manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4