• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Discontinues Production of 3DS Series of Handheld Consoles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:30 am Reply with quote
SPAMBOT ACCOUNT. --Crisha
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:31 am Reply with quote
No surprise there. I sensed the end of the 3DS coming sooner rather than later, especially with the latest Pokémon games moving to the Switch.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
Once I’d learned the Switch has a touch screen and was mobile I knew this day would eventually come, bittersweetly.

The DS has been around for over half of my lifetime, more than half of my lifetime that I’ve spent with it. I have grown and so too must Nintendo.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:00 am Reply with quote
I knew they weren't making games for it anymore, so it's not a surprise.

However, I do have to say that the 3DS was a great system. IMO, it was the best system Nintendo has ever made post-Gamecube. It was packed with games, and a lot of them were excellent entries to their franchises.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:58 am Reply with quote
It was a matter of time, and I think everyone knew that it was coming eventually. But it's still a bit bittersweet that the end has come. The Nintendo 3DS has been my favorite handheld, and while I don't play mine all that much anymore - last time I played it was to re-play Story of Seasons for a month or so before ACNH came out, but before that I probably didn't touch mine for several months before that - I still love it and so glad that I have it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:54 am Reply with quote
I have to give Nintendo credit for getting as much longevity out of it as they did with various iterations. I also have to give them credit for keeping handheld alive with the Switch when you'd keep seeing how mobile would be the death of handheld, instead they leaned into making use of a dedicated gaming system. Honestly, I wish Sony had tried half as hard to make a go of it with the Vita.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The 3ds accomplished a lot in its time.

1. Kept Nintendo relevant after Wii U flopped.

2. Saved Fire Emblem franchise from retirement. Now Fire Emblem is one of Nintendo's highest money generating smartphone games on both android and ios.

3. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate sold well enough outside of Japan that Capcom figured they could go bigger by developing MH:World
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1