• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils Appare-Ranman! Anime's English Dub Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense that Caitlin Glass would be directing this. She's a little over halfway done with Fruits Basket S2 and loves working on PA Works shows in general. I like that the cast is a mix of actors I recognize and don't/only know them from much smaller roles. It should be a fun show to check out dubbed!

Also, they posted a short clip as well for anyone interested: https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1306699817687678976
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Pretty neat to have Xanthe Huynh playing one of the main characters given she's an LA VA.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Okay but the 2nd image is a massive plot spoiler also it's missing spoiler[Richard].
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:19 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Okay but the 2nd image is a massive plot spoiler also it's missing spoiler[Richard].

As someone who hasn't watched the show at all I dont see how seeing the second picture would scream spoiles to me.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow, really unexpected cast list. And this exact kind of series I would want to hear dubbed. But Caitlin is usually a hitter.
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to my friend Jalitza Delgado!
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:35 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Pretty neat to have Xanthe Huynh playing one of the main characters given she's an LA VA.

Given that everyone's remote anyways, I doubt it's all that different from working with local actors currently.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
TexZero wrote:

As someone who hasn't watched the show at all I dont see how seeing the second picture would scream spoiles to me.

Alright let me explain it in....

spoiler[The person they list as Chase is first introduced as Gil T Cigar. He's using that name because of GIl's reputation for being a brutal criminal. He is not actually Gil and you don't find this out until around episode 8.]

This is also why i hid the other name because it too is part of that.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote
^You’re thinking of a different character. spoiler[Chase is the Gil imposter’s brother, not the Gil imposter]. So there are no spoilers in the images.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Still, it's a smart move, spoiler[keeping the voices for both the fake and real Gil under wraps].
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^You’re thinking of a different character. spoiler[Chase is the Gil imposter’s brother, not the Gil imposter]. So there are no spoilers in the images.

Wow...i'm dumb i looked at it and got them confused indeed.
So yes that's not a spoiler and as another user pointed out that's a good move on their part.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:59 pm Reply with quote
This looks great. I think I'm going to enjoy this. It's been a long wait but it was worth it. I doubt that anyone here would be surprised of me liking this. Very Happy

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Given that everyone's remote anyways, I doubt it's all that different from working with local actors currently.

Its still kind of a big deal because most (if not all) LA VAs are in the Union so they don't really do shows in Texas because Texas is a right to work state. So most LA VAs that appear in Funi dubs usually use pseudonyms save for ones that moved from Texas to LA like Cherami Leigh, Jeannie Tirado, Todd Haberkorn, and a few others. Or VAs who are popular enough where psedonyms are useless like JYB, Michelle Ruff, or Cristina Vee to name a few.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:12 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Its still kind of a big deal because most (if not all) LA VAs are in the Union so they don't really do shows in Texas because Texas is a right to work state. So most LA VAs that appear in Funi dubs usually use pseudonyms save for ones that moved from Texas to LA like Cherami Leigh, Jeannie Tirado, Todd Haberkorn, and a few others. Or VAs who are popular enough where psedonyms are useless like JYB, Michelle Ruff, or Cristina Vee to name a few.

Well, there is a thing called "financial core" (fi-core), which lets union actors/actresses work on non-union projects.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1