• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online: Progressive Light Novels Get Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
Basically they are adapting what SAO should've been.

+1 to this! The first arc is BY FAR the best, till now i dont understand why da f they did cut it so short... ;/
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
TichoSlicer wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:
Basically they are adapting what SAO should've been.

+1 to this! The first arc is BY FAR the best, till now i dont understand why da f they did cut it so short... ;/

It wasnt cut short, it was just never written fully developed as the writer originally submitted a s a short story for web novel contest, it was eventually turned into a ln but it kept almost everything intact so it still had the same gaps as the original story. Progressive is restart as it developed kirito. Asunas and the rest of the players pace by floor so there is more actual development unlike in the original where it bounces all over the place.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
More SAO is always better and looking forward to an animated kizmel
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see what Kirito and Asuna were doing during the time skips in the Aincrad arc.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Can't wait to see what Kirito and Asuna were doing during the time skips in the Aincrad arc.

I think it involves glopping
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Way more excited for this than I was for the Alicization announcement. Progressive has the whole stuck in a game thing that pulled me in during the original SAO arc, and I really liked the few LNs I read.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Time to return to Aincraid!

Judging by the key visual and teaser, it looks like they're going to follow the manga by making Asuna more of the central POV character for the adaption.

I wonder if the dub will recast Argo now that she's not going to be a one-off character like she was in season 1. I mean, I guess Cassandra Lee can play two characters but I can see the sense in them recasting like they've done with PoH and Miller.

(Actually will they recast Patrick Seitz as Agil?)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I never read the Progressive novels but I've heard a lot of positive things about them so I was really hyped when I heard the news it was getting an anime adaptation. I was also surprised we were getting it so soon after Alicization as I recall it wasn't until a few years after Mother's Rosario that we got GGO Alternative and the Ordinal Scale movie. So I wasn't expecting us to have any new SAO content announced for awhile. I'm also excited we're getting to return to Aincrad as while I still enjoy the newer SAO seasons, part of what got me into the franchise to begin with was the whole trapped in a video game but this time you can actually die for real angle that felt so shocking when the original first came out.

The newer seasons are still entertaining but it's also sometimes hard to fully accept the drama they're trying to sell you when with the newer episodes there's not as much of that high stakes threat we had with the original series. I also just really enjoyed the world of Aincrad and all the world building that went into it and I liked the whole concept where it was a fantasy RPG without magic and more of an emphasis on sword skills. The PV also looked pretty impressive with the animation and I hope it won't be a long wait to see this.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:35 am Reply with quote
Genuine question out of curiosity from someone not into SAO: What's the point of adapting Progressive into an anime when season one of SAO already exists?

Progressive was always pitched to me as just a bunch of side-stories filling in gaps in the events of the Aincrad arc, so I'm not sure what the intent is here.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:39 am Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Genuine question out of curiosity from someone not into SAO: What's the point of adapting Progressive into an anime when season one of SAO already exists?

That's like saying Kanon the tv series should never have been made because the movie was already made, or the same with Air...
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:13 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
yurigasaki wrote:

That's like saying Kanon the tv series should never have been made because the movie was already made, or the same with Air...

Literally do not know how that is even comparable, but thanks for your input.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:41 am Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Literally do not know how that is even comparable, but thanks for your input.

Both movies were abridged versions adapting their respective visual novels. the tv series fleshed them out. No different than here...
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
So based on the description in this article, I would like to ask a dumb question and make absolute sure of something (since I’m not a viewer of the SAO anime save for the GGO spin-off, which I enjoyed). Do I need to watch any of the previous anime to watch Progressive or is it completely safe going into it blind with no knowledge of what’s already aired or yet to come? Because if it is safe for someone like me, I may want to take a peek at this whenever it comes out.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
So based on the description in this article, I would like to ask a dumb question and make absolute sure of something (since I’m not a viewer of the SAO anime save for the GGO spin-off, which I enjoyed). Do I need to watch any of the previous anime to watch Progressive or is it completely safe going into it blind with no knowledge of what’s already aired or yet to come? Because if it is safe for someone like me, I may want to take a peek at this whenever it comes out.

Should be safe, it's a fleshed out retelling of the first arc so there's no backstory you need to be aware of.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Should be safe, it's a fleshed out retelling of the first arc so there's no backstory you need to be aware of.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the quick response. Looking forward to seeing this then and I hope that it receives a good adaptation as well. It’d be a shame if a truly fleshed out retelling of an arc that already exists doesn’t get translated well, but here’s hoping that doesn’t happen here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3