• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket Anime Gets 'Final' Season in 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
When the first season ended, I predicted that, at the pace that it was going, Furuba was going to have three 25-episode seasons.

A quick Wikipedia search after season 1 ended would have made 3 anime seasons very obvious because season 1 covered 7 of 23 total manga volumes.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I somehow worried that if Furuba season 3 have 13 episodes (50+13=63 episodes), the pacing may end up rushed and some chapters/scenes may be skipped/removed at all because of it. The one cour may ruined season 3.

I even thought this too. Attack on Titan played this, they had one season with 24-25 eps, second season was only 13, then back to the 24-25 eps with season 3. I think they should stick with the 25 episodes with Season 3 of Fruits Basket as they have with these first two seasons. And as stated before, if they don't rush, (and considering what's next, they shouldn't rush) they'll have enough for them and possibly a couple of extra. They don't want to screw this up.

Tokyo Ghoul should be an example of what happens when you rush and use too few episodes. The creator is trusting them in this.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, when was the last time we got a shoujo anime that lasted longer than 50 episodes over the last 20 years?

NANA ran for 47 episodes (I imagine it might of been continued if the manga hadn't been put on permanent hiatus.)

Super GALS! ran for 52 episodes.
Pelican

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they announced S3 immediately! We already knew they were aiming for a complete adaptation, but it's still best to have zero doubts about it.

Haru Kambe wrote:
Chihayafuru has 3 seasons with a total of 70+ episodes

Chihayafuru's a josei series, though, not a shoujo.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:26 pm Reply with quote
It’s weird to think about how we finally have a modern shojo anime longer than 26 episodes that isn’t Sailor Moon Crystal or Precure after forever.
OrangeRafi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Haru Kambe wrote:
FireChick wrote:
I figured this would be the case. Since the manga's so long in and of itself, I didn't think just 50 episodes would be enough to cover the whole thing. It getting a third season is a pretty big achievement. Also, when was the last time we got a shoujo anime that lasted longer than 50 episodes over the last 20 years?

Chihayafuru has 3 seasons with a total of 70+ episodes

Chihayafuru is not a shoujo though, it's a josei.
niiica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:04 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
Quote:
Also, when was the last time we got a shoujo anime that lasted longer than 50 episodes over the last 20 years?

NANA ran for 47 episodes (I imagine it might of been continued if the manga hadn't been put on permanent hiatus.)

Super GALS! ran for 52 episodes.

Shugo Chara ran 51 episodes with a second season of another 51, and a third season of 25 to boot! That's 120+ episodes.

Yume-iro Patissiere had 50 episodes first season, and 13 episodes for its second season. It was released around 2009.

But yes I do get your point that there hasn't been that many over the past couple of decades.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
I somehow worried that if Furuba season 3 have 13 episodes (50+13=63 episodes), the pacing may end up rushed and some chapters/scenes may be skipped/removed at all because of it. The one cour may ruined season 3.

I even thought this too.

I've never thought of this as a possibility, because this 3-season series was clearly planned and funded as a single project from the beginning, and was first announced as "the entire story."* With the ability to plan ahead and decide which chapters go where from the very start, there was no reason to allow, for example, an average 1.5 chapters per episode for the first 50 and then a jump up to 3 ch/ep for the final season. That would be an insane mismanagement of resources. (I mean, unless the source manga had problems with useless content and slow pacing in the final arc, that could warrant such trimming. Obviously not the case here.)

* animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-12/hana-to-yume-magazine-briefly-lists-new-anime-for-natsuki-takaya-fruits-basket-manga/.139273
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-19/funimation-reveals-cast-staff-streaming-for-new-2019-fruits-basket-tv-anime/.139680
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Maybe by the time the next season airs in 2021 the English dub will have finally caught up. . . Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Maybe by the time the next season airs in 2021 the English dub will have finally caught up. . . Rolling Eyes

Well, they had reason to be delayed. But I'm sure by Christmas, they'll have it all out. So we should be all right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2