• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Azur Lane Anime's Uncut BD Release With TV-14 Rating

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Ok but again Funimation stated it's the uncensored version. Until the release comes out and it's shown to be the broadcast version, they aren't lying. And Funimation has the backing of a major corporation, Goku in the Macy's parade, and they make tons of money from major shonen shows like MHA and AOT. I doubt they're that concerned about losing a few sales over Azur Lane because of some social media conspiracy.

Yeah, you are right, the proof is in the pudding. So when it comes out we will know. I don't have any stakes in the fire for Funimation, RAC, or Azur Lane. But I do care about censorship and editing for content. It's been a long road to get where we are at now, not going to accept any backsliding.

Reputation is important too. If you deceive your customers on this issue (not saying that this has been done on this instance), it doesn't just effect one title, but all your titles. You start losing pre-orders, because no one knows if the company is gaming their customers. So they wait until it comes out to find out before they spend their money.

Another issue that anime companies have to face, is that the Japanese home video release (with no censorship or editing for content), with english subtitles is only a couple clicks away on the internet.

I have no problem happily supporting the anime western distribution system for my physical anime BD's. But I draw the line at western censorship and editing for content. Which really is an anathema against Japanese anime.

We anime fans can be whiny brats and difficult to please, but on this issue the western anime companies know fully well they are going to get nailed to the earth. For a variety of reasons they might not fully care, as you said, but I will still vote with my dollars.
Teraman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Bisuketto wrote:
strawberry-kun wrote:
Teraman wrote:

When exactly did this "continue to happen" because as far as I can tell people can only cite Tsugumomo as a time when a censored release was advertised as uncut, and that was just on the box and not an official PR statement.

They do have a small history. Besides Tsugumomo, Haganai Season 2 had a scene that was from the broadcast version. They also attempted to censor Dance In The Vampire Bund before fan backlash made them reconsider. I don’t believe these were ever advertised as uncut though. There’s the Interspecies Reviewers fiasco as well, but that was a admittedly a different situation. That’s not including things like Ben-to and Sankarea both of which were fixed. I particularly question Tsugumomo and Haganai given the content cut in both.

Aye, it is these prior events compounded by the horrible PR and communication from Funimation is why many have lost trust in anything Funi says. Fans have long memories, and even if they are few examples, they are Big ones.

Which is a shame, since they were a quality company.

When people have to second guess whether Funi is actually telling the truth... is a bad place to be in.

So a bunch of things that either didn't happen, were rectified, or are a completely different situation? Still not seeing the supposed "pattern" here.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:

So a bunch of things that either didn't happen, were rectified, or are a completely different situation? Still not seeing the supposed "pattern" here.

Not sure how all examples didn’t happen, were rectified, or were a completely different situation, but sure. It’s hard not to see a pattern regarding a certain type of content after they flat out admitted that they were going to censor Dance In The Vampire Bund due to content concerns. It could be a case of Funimation releasing what they were given, but it’s suspicious that a lot of their mistakes involve the same thing. Even if they were given broadcast versions of content, they have a responsibility to try and get the home video content and at least let fans know that they’re using the broadcast versions. I wouldn’t have wasted my money on Tsugumomo for example if I knew it was using a weird mix of broadcast and home video content.

Last edited by strawberry-kun on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Did you seriously just claim none of those things actually happened? Letting that slide...

You are discounting the effort Funimation took to obfuscate during these issues and only "fessed up" after being held accountable by the fans. Which any company should be held accountable.

Several of these events took weeks to even be acknowledged as an issue by them and a couple were not even rectified.

THAT is the reason why people have stopped giving Funi the benefit of the doubt.

I myself still hold some affinity for them. I will still purchase items but only after reviews and others have validated the product. I have long stopped any pre-orders. However, others have had enough of their games and have walked away.

If you honestly can't see the reason why some are upset by what appears to be a history of consistent slide of Funimation quality over the years as well as their horrible handling of issues in the past then I do not know how to respond further.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Bisuketto wrote:

If you honestly can't see the reason why some are upset by what appears to be a history of consistent slide of Funimation quality over the years as well as their horrible handling of issues in the past then I do not know how to respond further.
It's probably not helped by the number of times social media influencers and AnITubers have cried wolf over minor issues with Funimation's releases that later turn out to be exaggerations or are used to fuel hate campaigns against their translation staff and voice artists.
Teraman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 am Reply with quote
Bisuketto wrote:
Did you seriously just claim none of those things actually happened?

No. Please read the posts you respond to more carefully.

Bisuketto wrote:
You are discounting the effort Funimation took to obfuscate during these issues

They literally announced the Vampire Bund thing before the home video release even came out.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
Alright, they've backpedaled themselves in a hole. I don't see how they could've rated the uncensored version of Azur Lane TV-14. It's a fairly long and gratuitous bath scene, with plenty of close-ups on bare female breasts with nipples. Some of the girls look quite young as well. They've given comparably tamer shows, either with no explicit female nudity (Is This a Zombie?) or scattered scenes in more natural contexts (Tenchi Muyo!) TV-MA.

I'm happy that we are getting the uncut version; I'm just surprised and understand Robert's confusion with it being TV-14.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:21 am Reply with quote
Bisuketto wrote:
Did you seriously just claim none of those things actually happened? Letting that slide...

Teraman was asking for examples of things advertised as uncut that were actually censored on release aside from Tsugumomo. Based on the response:
-Haganai season 2 had some broadcast material, but was not advertised as uncensored. (didn't happen)
-Dance in the Vampire Bund was outright stated to be an edited release, yet in the end they changed their minds. (didn't happen)
-Interspecies Reviewers was simply dropped, not released censored. (different situation)
-Ben-to and Sankarea were rectified.

I'm no FUNimation stan but I can't take the anti-Funi crowd seriously at all. They complain at the tiniest of things (not saying this is one of those tiny things) and I've never seen any of them own up to anything they were wrong about. And I'm willing to bet 90% of them never planned on buying in the first place, so their complaints are meaningless anyway.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:27 am Reply with quote
Whether they were advertised as such or not, they’re mess-ups. Fans shouldn’t have to police Funimation for this kind of stuff. They announced the Vampire Bund stuff beforehand but never addressed things or only addressed things far after release for the others. This is why people don’t trust them. The very fact that they even had the gall to try and censor Vampire Bund has eroded my trust in them even all these years later. It was reversed, but it never should have been an issue to begin with. I don’t recall other major anime companies doing shady things like that. At least to my knowledge.

I’ve been collecting anime for over 20 years, so I do buy stuff. Too much stuff actually...

This is probably my last post on the matter. I feel like I’m mostly repeating myself here. People that don’t trust Funimation will continue to do so. People that don’t care about Funimation’s mess ups will continue to do so as well.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:58 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's probably not helped by the number of times social media influencers and AnITubers have cried wolf over minor issues with Funimation's releases that later turn out to be exaggerations or are used to fuel hate campaigns against their translation staff and voice artists.

Here's the thing: you don't get to tell people if something is a minor issue or not. People can freely voice criticism of a way a company handles its product and they also have the choice to support it or not. Whenever someone says something like "Is just a minor change anyway" all that's doing is trying to downplay the facts and invalidate their feelings on the issue. It shouldn't be a surprise a lot of people dislike Funimation, they've been around forever and have always had issues with their handling of shows. If it wasn't censorship it was bad Blu-Ray upscales, cropped 16:9 releases, or general poor video quality like the numerous bad Dragonball Z boxsets they put out.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:39 am Reply with quote
Azur Lane was never really my thing, so the odds of me picking this up were low to begin with. But those odds turn to Zero if the Funi release is different from the JP release in any way.

Funi's handling of past releases has not gone unnoticed by the JP IP holders. One does not need to go back very far to see some examples of this. Or you can go back 20+ years and see that Funimation was just as bad as 4kids.

Things are already changing on the horizon, JP IP holders are starting to market to Western Audiences directly in a go around of companies like Sony. These IP holders have made it pretty clear that they do not like their works getting tampered with in any way.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
It shouldn't be a surprise a lot of people dislike Funimation, they've been around forever and have always had issues with their handling of shows. If it wasn't censorship it was bad Blu-Ray upscales, cropped 16:9 releases, or general poor video quality like the numerous bad Dragonball Z boxsets they put out.

Or in the case of Dragon Ball Super, a missing combined episode that has been streaming on their website since it's Japanese premiere which has more animated footage than the episode cuts that they did release. I expect the same to happen to One Piece when they get to that set of episodes for DVD.

Then there's what happened with Senran Kagura which was a case of false advertisement over the missing OVAs.
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:35 am Reply with quote
I completely forgot about the Senran Kagura OVA issue.

In fact, think that was the exact event which caused me to stopped pre-ordering. So I don't know why I forgot about it.

While Funimation does put out some quality products, they have given plenty of reasons over the years to be wary of anything they say. A position I hate to be in since they used to be great.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Keep it civil folks. Some of you are getting a bit passive aggressive towards each other.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Funi's handling of past releases has not gone unnoticed by the JP IP holders. One does not need to go back very far to see some examples of this. Or you can go back 20+ years and see that Funimation was just as bad as 4kids.

Things are already changing on the horizon, JP IP holders are starting to market to Western Audiences directly in a go around of companies like Sony. These IP holders have made it pretty clear that they do not like their works getting tampered with in any way.
If you're referring to that YouTube channel being run by Japanese anime studios, that's a Japan only YouTube channel focused on old niche children's shows and nothing to do with Funimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6