• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Azur Lane Anime's Uncut BD Release With TV-14 Rating

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:

The game doesn’t have nudity. There’s no sources that say they spoke to a company rep and confirmed it’s censored. This comparison makes no sense.
It would make no sense to release a video game aimed at teenagers that's based on a supposed M rated franchise.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It would make no sense to release a video game aimed at teenagers that's based on a supposed M rated franchise.

You’re literally just making things up. No one said that it’s an M rated franchise. You’re ignoring the different circumstances around each release. I’m convinced you’re trolling this thread. I’m ignoring you.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:

You’re literally just making things up. No one said that it’s an M rated franchise. You’re ignoring the different circumstances around each release. I’m convinced you’re trolling this thread. I’m ignoring you.
It's literally the premise of the whole argument and was specifically brought up earlier in the thread by other users like this post yet it seems like the franchise as a whole is being marketed to teens in spite of one episode that has a little T&A in it.
Quote:
Alright, they've backpedaled themselves in a hole. I don't see how they could've rated the uncensored version of Azur Lane TV-14. It's a fairly long and gratuitous bath scene, with plenty of close-ups on bare female breasts with nipples. Some of the girls look quite young as well. They've given comparably tamer shows, either with no explicit female nudity (Is This a Zombie?) or scattered scenes in more natural contexts (Tenchi Muyo!) TV-MA.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The last thing I’ll say is that the anime possibly warranting a higher rating does not mean people are claiming the franchise is M rated. Besides, anime ratings have always been inconsistent. The main reason it’s an issue is because of the RACS thing. Like I said, different circumstances. Now, I really am ignoring you. Bye.

Last edited by strawberry-kun on Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:04 pm Reply with quote
And my point is that if the fans are admitting the rest of the franchise is perfectly marketable towards a teen audience, it's not unprecedent then for Funimation to market the anime to the same teen audience that plays the mobile game and the other video games in the series and that one episode with fanservice might not be a justifiable reason to give it an TVMA and it can still be uncut.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Here are the mobile game's age ratings:

T by the ESRB
12 by PEGI
6 by the USK in Germany
Has two submissions in the Australian classification database, both on the same day; one is PG, one is M

I was unable to find the CERO rating for it, but Azur Lane: Crosslane (the game for PS4 and Switch) was CERO C (15+) for the PS4 and CERO D (17+) for Switch.

Most of this franchise is rated as suitable for teenagers; however, none of the games contain actual nudity as the anime does. It is possible that Funimation considered the target audience and decided to overlook the bath scene to give it a TV-14. Another possible theory is that the contract required that it be accessible to a younger audience (this would line up with the re-rating on the same day to get a PG for the mobile game in Australia), and Funimation was intending on releasing the censored version before the backlash.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
A third option is that maybe the employee who worked for Funimation that day RACS contacted wasn't super familiar with all the details or misunderstood the question they were asked about the rating and mispoke with the initial response. It happens. If RACS really contacted Funimation directly before making their initial claim, as far as I'm aware, they haven't released the email, so we don't really know how RACS phrased their questioning or the exact wording Funimation used in their response to RACS. All we have is RACS' spin on the conversation, assuming they really did email them about it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
While I understand fans being frustrated wanting the uncensored version is it really such a huge deal that fans were ok with watching the broadcast version streaming but not for buying the physical release? This isn’t like something where it alters the plot in any way or something like Terraformers where the censorship made the show unwatchable and it’s not like it’s being censored by Funimation themselves against the studio’s wishes.

Yeah, it is a big deal. I don't really care about Azur Lane, but I do like collecting blurays.
Why would I want to buy an inferior version compared to what people are pirating? That just feels like shit.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Another issue that anime companies have to face, is that the Japanese home video release (with no censorship or editing for content), with english subtitles is only a couple clicks away on the internet.

Not really throwing my hat into this thread's argument, but just wanted to point out that the above statement is not true at all. The vast, vast majority of Japanese blu-rays do not include English subtitles and the Azur Lane releases are no exception. (I imported the first two volumes of the Azur Lane blu-rays so I can speak to that on authority).
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Another issue that anime companies have to face, is that the Japanese home video release (with no censorship or editing for content), with english subtitles is only a couple clicks away on the internet.

Not really throwing my hat into this thread's argument, but just wanted to point out that the above statement is not true at all. The vast, vast majority of Japanese blu-rays do not include English subtitles and the Azur Lane releases are no exception. (I imported the first two volumes of the Azur Lane blu-rays so I can speak to that on authority).

It is true, but not in the same sense you're thinking of. The footage from the home video release is generally remuxed with the English subtitles already available, either from a fansub or whoever was legally streaming the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:19 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

When I said only a couple clicks away, I wasn't talking about Japanese BD releases, but rather fansubs. For the same reason you mentioned above. I wish English subtitles were available on all Japanese home video releases. I got the Japanese Puella Magi Madoka Magica BD's, but not really worth it to watch them since there are no subtitles. Just pretty to look at.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
Not really throwing my hat into this thread's argument, but just wanted to point out that the above statement is not true at all. The vast, vast majority of Japanese blu-rays do not include English subtitles and the Azur Lane releases are no exception

Anyone would infer from that what TarsTarkas meant with those clicks was blu-ray rips/remuxes with subs slabbed on to them you can easily find out there...

TarsTarkas wrote:
When I said only a couple clicks away, I wasn't talking about Japanese BD releases, but rather fansubs.

That might have been more true a few years back, but accurate statement today would be stream-subs slabbed on blu-ray rips/remuxes(you were talking about the home video release), aside the few odd ones where there were no stream subs available.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I feel like people are forgetting that companies like Funimation can't control what masters they receive. If the Japanese company gives them censored masters, it's quite possible they can't do much about it. They can try and ask for the uncut, but this will mean a delay in getting the release out. Sometimes the Japanese company won't even give them uncut (or higher quality etc.) masters, so Funimation etc just has to deal.

Normally, i'd agree with you. However, Azur Lane is a bit of an odd prospect because a large part of the market for the anime would be those who also play the game. Not releasing the uncut version to Funi would be a bit odd considering the game itself has plenty of lewd skins and Yostar likely (im guessing here though) would have had a seat at the production committee table and they definitely arent anti-lewd so would possibly have argued against restricting the uncut masters.

As others have said, when the release is made and people are able to check is when we'll get a conclusive answer. but before then, due to many questions and suspicions about Funi and censoring stuff, i think public opinion will lean towards skepticism.

I know i'm going to wait til the conclusive proof is out before considering buying. Anime's expensive here so im not interested in buying a censored cut. If it is legitimately uncut (ie the JP home release version) then i would shell out to get it.
Stormtrooper53

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, I just wanted to step in here and come to the defense of RACS because I may have been the one who touched all of this off. I have been waffling back and forth on getting the import versions of the Azur Lane Blu Rays but I just can't stomach 70 bucks for two episodes. I'm a subscriber to the RACS email newsletter thing and on Friday two weeks ago and saw that RACS had listed a domestic Blu Ray for AZ. I immediately tried to preorder it but I noticed RACS had it listed as TV-14 and wondered if it would be censored. Bob with RACS has ALWAYS been great about answering product questions for me so I sent RACS an email to find out if they knew. Bob replied that he did not know but he would check with Funimation. In the meantime I went to Funi's website to see if maybe RACS had the rating wrong (doubtful). When I saw that it was rated TV-14 on their website I emailed Funi's customer service. The email I received back from Funi verbatim was:

"I'm really sorry but it will be censored.

Hint: any title rated TV-14 will be censored.
Any title rated TV-MA will be uncensored."

(I will not publish the name of the Funi CS agent that emailed me, but it was included.)

I shot this information over to Bob and he replied back that Funimation had just told him the same thing. This was on Tuesday, 09/15/20. The following Friday RACS put in their newsletter that the domestic release would be censored. He was stating that based on what Funimation had told both him and me.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Stormtrooper53 wrote:
"I'm really sorry but it will be censored.

Hint: any title rated TV-14 will be censored.
Any title rated TV-MA will be uncensored."

So this is all the fault of a Funimation rep trying to sound like they knew what they were talking about without checking with the higher-ups first. Funimation has ecchi titles that are TV-14 and uncensored; they just tend not to have any detailed nudity (female nipples), which is why the TV-14 for uncensored Azur Lane is surprising.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6