• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jujutsu Kaisen (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ vashfanatic - the show does not translate Ryoumen Sukuna. It just refers to Ryoumen Sukuna's finger as the curse. Sounds like Harleyquin is correct and there simply isn't any English equivalent that would make sense.

Works for me! My only goal is to have the synopsis be helpful and accurate to the show for anyone looking it up. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:45 am Reply with quote
I would say you've succeeded in that case. Boy, I've certainly read synopses that didn't do their shows justice before. One tiny, tiny quibble. In your synopsis, it's mentioned that Itadori attempts to save "a friend." It's actually two friends, but the distinction is so minor I don't think it even bears correction.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:13 am Reply with quote

It's a common trope for Shounen mangas to throw their protagonists into all kinds of situations which they have no hope of surviving on paper. This story arc is a typical case. After hearing the explanation from the Academy's minder about the different grades of curses, it rams home the point of how short-handed the Academy is that they have to send first-year students to almost certain death.

The rest of the episode is seeing the trio get absolutely overwhelmed by the special grade, until Itadori decides to make himself bait for Fushiguro to escape. It works for the most part, then Sukuna gets to show what he's really made of. The big flaw in this plan is Itadori himself; it appears he has lost control of his body and Sukuna has realised this. Next week's trailer indicates Fushiguro needs to make good on his promise to kill Itadori.

It's not a big surprise to learn one of Sukuna's appendages is behind today's incident. Begging the question: Does that mean more incidents are going to happen because Sukuna is beginning to sense a great opportunity to make himself whole again? It certainly looks like it, because Itadori not regaining consciousness and control while the count is still at 2 makes one wonder how he's going to finish the job when he has 20 in total to look for.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:06 am Reply with quote
The episode did change what I forgot about power levels, in the sense that these guys were pretty much powerless against this special grade, the special grade itself was powerless against Sukuna, and presumably their teacher is very confident that he could beat Sukuna. This all after Itadori has shown himself as pretty impressive.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:45 am Reply with quote
Well, Itadori did learn one useful thing: any physical damage he receives in his non-Sukuna state will be healed when Sukuna does arrive on the scene. So there's that. Damn, this show is so good. If I had access to all 24 episodes, I'd be marathoning the poop out of it, I'm sure. I love Fridays even as they are but the appearance of a new JJK episode really puts the icing on the weekend cake.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote
I don't think healing the damage is automatic as Sukuna. In fact, I think Sukuna wanted to avoid regenerating the left hand to screw with Itadori, but he accidentally did so (or so I gathered from his dialog with himself).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Valid point. Okay, then let me amend my observation to state that physical damage taken by Itadori can be healed by Sukuna but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope episode 5 gets to the point. The point being: addressing spoiler[Yuuji's ignorance and weakness]. I normally can't handle non-binge watching but each episode of JK is just so worth watching ASAP. Seeing spoiler[Yuuji] grow is worth the wait, I suppose, thanks to episode 4. I'm doing my best to hold back and avoid rereading the manga to keep the experience fresh. However not knowing where the episode will stop at is always the worst experience for someone who likes to binge watch.

Hurry up and get here, Friday. Evil or Very Mad

Edit: Oh, and I think I found a mistake in episode 4.
spoiler[https://twitter.com/Zhenocnra/status/1320515626599804928]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Before this arc started, they stated the 2018 incident resulting in the death of a first year student. With this end of this arc, it gives a time to this series (it's pre-Covid by two years) and a way to portray everyone as everything was prior to early 2020.

Sukuna knows he's stuck with Itadori Yuuji, so it gives him great pleasure to mess around with Yuuji's body when he's still in control. It appears the relationship between Itadori and Sukuna is not as simple as a host who's naturally gifted at controlling the lord of curses in his own body. With the last part of the episode, it's also clear death as far as Itadori is concerned is not as simple and straightforward as it may seem.

This episode also crams in quite a bit of background exposition about forces working behind the scenes. The thus far unnamed personage with supernatural sight is advising curses on how to wage war against the sorcerors. One of his conditions straight up declares Gojou as the biggest obstacle to the victory for the curses; Gojou's threat midway through the episode sounds less outlandish than it seems after that revelation.

Now that the seniors to the two surviving first-year students have been introduced and the next story arc being telegraphed in advance, all that remains is how Itadori is going to be written back into the series (he's dead, but Sukuna is potentially going to hold a conversation with him while the corpse is in the school morgue.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:15 am Reply with quote
This show is just so damned good. Nice to meet some of the second years, including Panda. Looks like we are in for a tournament arc. I imagine the Kyoto students are just as freakish as the Tokyo lot. I'll be very interested in Itadori's convo with Sukuna. Argh, I wish I could binge this show.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:32 am Reply with quote
I made the mistake of watching one episode and now I'm on episode 5 waiting for episode 6. The show has Zinki vibes, Bastard overtones and Naruto grouping. Im all about it. After watching all of Dorohedoro im craving more hammer action and Kugisaki is excellent.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Welcome fellow JJK addict! And yes, Dorohedoro is the perfect companion show. They are my two top favourites of 2020.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:15 am Reply with quote
Episodes 1-5

This is a *very* stylish show. I need to look for more stuff by MAPPA to make up for all the anime I haven't watched the last few years. Absolutely love the OP and ED themes. They remind me of funk rock bands like Scoobie Do and BRADIO: super catchy melodies, great vocals, and nice up tempo rhythms.

I love me some supernatural horror action. After re-watching Demon Slayer (TV) earlier this week, I'm on a bit of a demon/monster kick, and the tone of JJK really fits that. The dark color palette for the art and the slick animation do wonders for this genre.

As for the characters, Yuuji almost struck me as the typical hot-head shounen lead, but I'm glad he dialed it back by the end of ep. 1. It's also odd, but pleasant, that he just accepts things for how they are and is going from there. As in, no real training, just a learn-as-you-go approach. Although, it did get him killed. But if he's got the King of Curses in him, I'm sure things will workout. Hopefully, he won't rely to much on Sukuna's power and actually gain his own abilities, later.

Surprisingly, Nobara is the hot-head, which I like a lot. I think it's funny that she's a bit of a country bumpkin and has all these expectations that rarely get met. I also like that she's a bit of a cynic, though I feel Megumi is supposed to be the straight-laced one. I like the little bits of backstory they showed for each of them. Hope they show more as it goes. Gojou-sensei feels like Kakashi from Naruto, but with both eyes covered. I'm sure his eyes are cursed artifacts or something, so it'll be cool to see when he uses those.

As for the other newly introduced characters, not much to say, since we just met them. Toge is pretty funny since he just speaks in sushi ingredients, and I'm hoping Panda will be outrageous. Other than that, looks like it's time for a training and tournament arc. I'm excited to see what kind of jujutsu and other things they sprinkle in to expand the lore of their world. Very fun show, thus far.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I can think of a couple of other MAPPA series you might like. One is their adaptation of Tezuka Osamu's Dororo. The other is anime-original Shingeki no Bahamut. While both series are "dark," Bahamut has a larger dose of comedy compared to Dororo.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh, damn. The new Dororo is directed by Kazuhiro Furuhashi, who did my all-time fave anime in Rurouni Kenshin (TV and first OVA, at least), so I'll definitely watch that one. I also did watch the first Bahumut way back when it was still airing. I just got busy with things and lost track of it. That one seemed pretty cool, and I always did mean to finish it and check out the sequel and spinoff.

Looking at their list, I think the only titles I've seen to completion are Hajime no Ippo: Rising and Terror in Resonance. Watched part of Bahumt and Kids on the Slope, and there's a whole bunch of other popular ones I've heard of. Will definitely do the two, first, and work my way down.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14