• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uma Musume Pretty Derby TV Anime Gets 2nd Season in 2021

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:15 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah !! more horse racing, idol and slice of life Very Happy
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:25 am Reply with quote
Ahhh, a S2 before the game came out and sadly after a couple horses whose names they're based on passed away. Sad

Maybe this will be the time Cygames will finally announce when the mobile game is coming out.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:31 am Reply with quote
No studio confirmation yet? Either way, I'm SUPER hyped for Teio anime. Hopefully Machico can talk about it a bit this weekend at Kurocon
bennyl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:42 am Reply with quote
The mobile game will likely never come out. either some of the holders of the horses naming rights didn't realize they already sold their rights for games, or cygames didn't do their due diligence and thought if they secured rights for an anime that they automatically would have rights for a game, but one side or the other failed. I forget which ones, but several of the main protagonist names could not be secured for game use.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:42 am Reply with quote
This was unexpected, but not unwelcome. I liked the first season for what it was. Will watch the second.
Azza Murphy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:09 am Reply with quote
from that trailer it seems the MC is not going to be the same I don't know if that is a good thing or not.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
Then there are the live shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm6fdmaiIlw
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
Cool. Teiou is actually my favorite character. I assume P.A. Works is coming back.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
I just started watching season 1 for the first time a few days ago and I am so loving it. I will be looking forward to season 2
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:41 am Reply with quote
Teio fan here too, i wanted another season so badly and it's finally coming !
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the first season but I'm surprised this is getting a second season after all the problems with the mobile game. I wonder if the recent shorts did well? I want to see more of El Condor Pasa.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Anime I actually like aren't supposed to get sequels, something is very wrong.

I will buy S1 BDs when they get a North American release sometime in the 2040's
Charou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, this announcement just made it a special week.

Teehee.

Came for the extraordinarily out-of-character Iwashiro Taro music (better known for sweeping grandiose scores like Red Cliff, Arslan, Onimusha 2, Shinobi: heart under blade), stayed for the extraordinarily wholesome, well-animated sports-antics of what could have been a really...awkward combination of concepts: cute girls, horse racing, idol singing, and a single male MC-kun, all conceived by Cygames. Yeah, almost nothing BUT Iwashiro's involvement could have sold me on that immediately -- saw his segment about it on Anison Station (WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT SHOW!?) and was like, yep, we are watching *that*.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I love Taro Iwashiro's sound, since Gargantia and Kado he's become the composer I'm most interested in (Kado score was the most expensive CD I've bought to date). I don't think I found out he was involved in Uma Musume until after I watched it. I loved the obvious design-by-committee concept as soon as I heard of it, it was my most anticipated show of the season and favorite anime of 2018.

The trainer is not the MC, that would be Special Week, and I wouldn't call him an "MC-kun" generic self-insert figure, though like IM@S he ought to have that faceless role in the game. It was clear from the leadup that this was going to be a CGDCT, not a harem.
Charou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:

The trainer is not the MC, that would be Special Week, and I wouldn't call him an "MC-kun" generic self-insert figure, though like IM@S he ought to have that faceless role in the game. It was clear from the leadup that this was going to be a CGDCT, not a harem.

Eh. I called him MC-kun because this anime was made primarily to sell us on a (much delayed) mobile game in which I assume you play...well, you can figure out the rest. And if you look at the list of horse girls, it's...very long, full of voice actresses who don't do much else, hallmark of a nascent harem gacha franchise.

I'm not sure you're entirely right with declaring umamusume a CGDCT and not a harem, but on the other hand I see no need to distinguish the two given the anime and the game are, much like other multimedia 2.5D efforts like Revue Starlight, probably very different in approach. Which is precisely what works -- hook us with your bursts of dramatic sakuga and great music, and we'll play your damn waifu collector.

Sure as heck worked for Fate. Razz

(...because the Deen original was totally full of sakuga...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2