• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: U.S. Representative Ilhan Omar Gets Her Gundam (Fanart)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Seems pretty hypocritical given her views on military/police defunding, but eh, "Pokemon Go to the Polls" is a common thing now with politicians trying to seem relatable to the younger demographic.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Seems pretty hypocritical given her views on military/police defunding, but eh, "Pokemon Go to the Polls" is a common thing now with politicians trying to seem relatable to the younger demographic.

You really got the point of Gundam huh
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Seems pretty hypocritical given her views on military/police defunding

Ah, yes, who can forget the Universal Century timeline's consistent "the military/law enforcement are great, they don't need oversight at all" message. Laughing
Wyaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Gundam is one of the most closely related to political landscape turmoil. It's just appropriate. Not to mention it just makes OTHER people who aren't as tolerant as fans of a genre that understand being civil and embracing differences uncomfortable. So just laugh and leave all the unnecessary political view points for a different website. Here do this, without criticizing each other or the actual politician, which Gundam would you want your politician to have or seems like them the most?
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:
Seems pretty hypocritical given her views on military/police defunding

Ah, yes, who can forget the Universal Century timeline's consistent "the military/law enforcement are great, they don't need oversight at all" message. Laughing

Even worse in Zeta, the Titans are literally born out of the Federation/Military/Law Enforcement as a major antagonist of that show.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Defund the Earth Federation Force. There's no reason they need so many mobile suits. This fear that Zeon will attack us the moment we don't have military weapons is unfounded. Razz
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

Selling merchandise to consumers, if we're being honest.

There's certainly plenty to be said about a franchise whos entire existence is pandering to military otaku and kids with cool military aesthetic fights and robots to sell merchandise while also trying to denounce wartime conflict leading to a mixed and possibility hypocritical message, but I doubt this will become a nuanced discussion about it with attempts to take potshots like this one.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I would be more supportive of the Green New Deal if most of the funding was directed to Mobile Suits. Gotta make vehicles for the Space Force!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Posts deleted. Keep it nice, people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Isn't she a chavista apologist?
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
The Gundam was going to say a quote from his grandma (Kamen Rider Kabuto reference)

Seriously though, isn't it nice when a politician, on the level especially, opens up to admit to a relatable fandom? As a Minnesotan, I approve this crossover!
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Seems pretty hypocritical given her views on military/police defunding,

It's okay to admit that you've never watched Gundam.
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
ATastySub wrote:

There's certainly plenty to be said about a franchise whos entire existence is pandering to military otaku and kids with cool military aesthetic fights and robots to sell merchandise while also trying to denounce wartime conflict leading to a mixed and possibility hypocritical message, but I doubt this will become a nuanced discussion about it with attempts to take potshots like this one.

Hypocrisy is human, and it's brilliant in Gundam. It would be foolish to dismiss it for being so. I mean, selling merchandise is what stores do. Gundam, if you take a moment to remember, is a franchise for stories and characters (and robots (that you can build))(that you can buy on blurays or whatever). There's something to be said that the formula of cool military giant robot action mixed with a humanist and anti-war theme appeal to both sides of the aisle, that is the timeless formula behind the 40yo franchise.
kae kurono

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
ATastySub wrote:

Yes & No. Yes to the money hungry greedy corporate. No to the directors, writers ,& artist like yoshiyuki tomino, & Hiroyuki Yamaga? if you ask them they never created gundam with the intention to JUST sell toys.
tojikomori

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Even putting the particulars aside, I love the idea that people should constrain their entertainment to stuff that’s thematically consistent with their politics. I’m picturing a world where libertarians forbid each other to watch Star Trek; climate activists buy carbon credits to offset their fumes in Mario Kart; god help anyone caught watching Game of Thrones.

Wyaku wrote:
Which Gundam would you want your politician to have or seems like them the most?

I can’t resist a bad pun, so let’s give the movie retconned XXXG-00W0 to Tim Walz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2