• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2020 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This works fine for most games – and, of course, this is based on a card collecting mobile rhythm game created by a record company to capitalize on several popular voice actors – but usually leaves anime creators scrambling to build a stronger narrative.

Except it’s not based on a game at all? The game came out in March. It’s one of the last pieces of media that have come out for this franchise, which started with a series of singles, one for each group, back in 2017.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:10 pm Reply with quote
My vote for James Becket to do the daily streaming reviews of HypMic entirely in rap verse
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:36 pm Reply with quote
So is "is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon" back to being a relatively sex less action adventure, or is someone still getting raped (or almost raped) every episode?

I know that is a mild exaggeration, but I can not deal with it in SAO, and I can't say dan machi handles it that much better, and it's way more jarring to me in dan machi.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Jujutsu Kaisen knocked it out of the park, this is gonna be amazing.

Tonikaku Kawaii was pleasant, so I'm looking forward to seeing it ramp up.
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
So is "is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon" back to being a relatively sex less action adventure, or is someone still getting raped (or almost raped) every episode?

I know that is a mild exaggeration, but I can not deal with it in SAO, and I can't say dan machi handles it that much better, and it's way more jarring to me in dan machi.
spoiler[A couple of degenerates thirsty for a harpy show up and die in short order.]

The beginning of this episode was rushed, but I've still got hope for the season. Wiene slicing Bell's arm was wonderfully visceral.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Jujutsu Kaisen was great! Im definitely on board.

And I laughed unreasonably hard spoiler[at the gym teacher frozen stiff while the students took selfies and piled stuff on top of him.] I dont know why THAT of all things really cracked me up, but I actually had to pause the episode.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:23 am Reply with quote
Well, that was quite the opening day for the new season. Has there ever been this many titles in the preview guide on day 1 before?

The only new show I watched tonight was Danmachi S3 and it was great. I just rewatched the second season last week, so it's nice to be able to keep things going. Really excited to see the Xenos arc that so many people have mentioned Smile

Also, for those who haven't played it, the Danmemo mobile game has a short bit of extra story content available after each episode airs.

Probably going to wait for some of the full reviews to come out before trying out many of the shows from this season, but so far based on the previews it looks like it's going to be a good one =D
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:21 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Unless I'm misremembering something or the adaptation embellishes, episode 1 is probably the peak of the season on the fan service front. There's one scene that will probably pop up in episode 5 which could involve sexual content, but that it. The Ishtar Familia arc was very atypical for the franchise.

Covnam wrote:
Well, that was quite the opening day for the new season. Has there ever been this many titles in the preview guide on day 1 before?

What you're seeing here was titles from two days. There are also six that have been confirmed for debuts on Saturday, including the Inuyasha, Love Live, and Mahouka sequels and something that's having a special preview, and that's without considering that Wandering Witch could come off delay at any time. This is about as front-loaded as I can ever remember a season being.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:51 am Reply with quote
Woo-hoo, just noticed that Funi is offering Wandering Witch at 9am EST! Sad that there's no mention of Gal & Dino returning to their schedule today.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:06 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Woo-hoo, just noticed that Funi is offering Wandering Witch at 9am EST! Sad that there's no mention of Gal & Dino returning to their schedule today.

That was because Gal and Dino is airing episode 1 this week instead of starting from where they left off, so yeah, we might have to wait a bit more Wink
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:35 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Says here that Gal & Dino returns with new episodes November 21.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:55 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the update, guys. Didn't see the news buried in that huge list of Funi shows.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
Ep 1 of Yashahime almost gave me whiplash. It starts with Towa, already in feudal Japan, being interrogated by a bigshot, but switches by flashback to being basically 90% an Inuyasha episode, with all the major characters from that making an appearance. Which should keep the old time Inu fans happy for a while. I imagine this was done to introduce the show to the current generation of fans who may not have seen Inuyasha, what with the 10 and 15 year gap since the original.

Then, after the flashback, minor spoiler[ the rest of the trio show up, and the ep ends pretty quickly.]

Ep 2 looks to be the proper start of Yashahime, from the preview. This ep started kind of in media res, with Towa already in feudal japan and spoiler[ working with the others].

Minor flashback spoiler[ The flashback is after the end of the original show, and Miroku and Sango have three kids now.]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Ep 1 of Yashahime almost gave me whiplash. It starts with Towa, already in feudal Japan, being interrogated by a bigshot, but switches by flashback to being basically 90% an Inuyasha episode, with all the major characters from that making an appearance. Which should keep the old time Inu fans happy for a while. I imagine this was done to introduce the show to the current generation of fans who may not have seen Inuyasha, what with the 10 and 15 year gap since the original.

I rather doubt the bolded part. That totally felt like a nostalgia trip for established franchise fans, and I think it's safe to assume that particular incident is going to have repercussions into the time of the new cast.

Forgot to mention in the review that I did like how Miroku was introduced as "Delinquent Monk" in the on-screen text.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I liked wandering witch, but holy crap, worst parent ever! And I feel like her parent and Fran get off way too easily. First Elaina is already facing setback by not being able to find a tutor, so getting someone to to force to deal with setback makes no sense. Second, either someone never face setback, in which case its pointless for them to learn to deal with them, or someone will eventually face a setback anyway and will learn to deal with it then, setting one up is then pointless. Third, what was the parent goal? How would having Elaina serve as a de facto slave for a month teach her anything? Sure Fran ended up teaching her a "good" lesson but that wasn't her parent goal. Also I'm not sure the lesson is a good one, it sounds like Elaina had literally no other option but to apprentice under a witch, what should she have done if Fran really was bent on just exploiting her, steal the badge while Fran is asleep and claim she's a witch now? But everything is fine cause Fran said she was sorry (after beating up Elaina) and Elaina is just okay with her parent? I don't think I'd ever want to see my parent again after they'd pull something like that on me and even if Fran ended up teaching me anything I would not be sad at all seeing her leave.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Warlords of Sigrdrifa links to Inuyasha in the guide.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14