• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2020 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I wish there was a way Healin Good Precure could still be added to the list. I know it didn't pass the summer polling but the first 12 episodes weren't streaming then which I think played a role in not many people voting for it and I feel like it should get a second chance on the polls for daily streaming now you can watch it from the beginning. But I understand not including it and it would be a lot to ask the reviewers to catch up on the past episodes. I personally hope people will vote for Dragon Quest as I'm really looking forward to it and I hope the Digimon reviews will continue. I'm also glad classic streaming reviews are still continuing even though we're back to the normal rate of shows being aired.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:28 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first ep of Osomatsu's 3rd season, and it was almost as good as the "lost" debut episode from season one. Here the sextuplets discover that, spoiler[since they no longer comply with the values of the new Reiwa era, the production committee has replaced them with perfect alternates: boyishly charming, kind, industrious and living in harmony with not only each other, but with a total of 18 sextuplets, including girl sextuplets and international sextuplets for diversity points. Naturally, the originals' first impulse is to straight-up murder the replacements.] From there, as one would imagine, things flow downhill like, well, shit. Lots and lots of literal, color-coded shit. And nudity. And violence, and city-wide destruction. All the things we've come to expect from Osomatsu-san!

But hands down, the best part, which I had to watch 3 times, was when the brothers spoiler[confronted their own seiyuu in animated form - except for Totty, whose animated seiyuu, Irino Miyu, has mysteriously been replaced by a generic-looking stand-in named "Kouji Murakami." Trying to enlist their counterparts' aid, the guys discover the actors don't really care if they lose the Osomatsu gig since they have plenty of other work to keep them busy, "yay!"] It's wonderfully surreal. Laughing
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:48 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I wish there was a way Healin Good Precure could still be added to the list. ... it would be a lot to ask the reviewers to catch up on the past episodes.

I'm actually almost caught up (watching took a hit during Preview Guide), so at the very least, there'll be a review at the end of the show. spoiler[Right now I love how Cure Earth is so different (in every way, but specifically in her powers and costume) from the other three girls.]
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Pop tart was nice enough, I really hope going forward there will be less boob moment (they're not even joke) and less idol stuff (hopefully those dance segment are too expansive and they'll show up only once every 3-4 ep). Nothing was that funny, I guess the bagworm joke was something I never saw, but most of it was entertaining at least.

Also, wasn't there another show along the line of "group of girsl have to become fruit theme idols to save X from being demolished" just a few years ago?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:18 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Also, wasn't there another show along the line of "group of girsl have to become fruit theme idols to save X from being demolished" just a few years ago?

I didn’t find any fruit themed idols in recent years, but maybe you were thinking of Action Heroine Cheer Fruits. It does involve a group of girls becoming fruit themed performers to revitalize the town, but they put on a local sentai show, not idols. At least that’s the first show that came to mind when you mentioned that.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:08 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
meiam wrote:

I didn’t find any fruit themed idols in recent years, but maybe you were thinking of Action Heroine Cheer Fruits. It does involve a group of girls becoming fruit themed performers to revitalize the town, but they put on a local sentai show, not idols. At least that’s the first show that came to mind when you mentioned that.

Yeah that's probably what I was thinking of. Sentai, idol, is there much of a difference if they're all girl?
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
None of them want to be idols, but if it's idol or die, they'll try it. If they have to. They guess.

I have to say... A quick review of a low-rent idol show is about the last place I expected to see a sneaky Red Green reference.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Yashahime Ep 2: Wasn't really going to talk about 2nd eps here, but since this is the real start of the series I think it's more appropriate. Anyway, it was definitely okay. spoiler[I presume that we'll learn fairly early on why even Kohaku doesn't know who Moroha is? Also, while I presume it's a call back to how the original series started, I don't find the gem(s) that demons want again to be very compelling]

Akudama Drive: Well, it's certainly got presentation down. I hope we learn more about the society as that seems like an interesting setting. I would have preferred if there was at least one more female Akudama to balance out the cast a bit more

Maesetsu: I laughed a few times, but for being a comedy that's not great. I'm probably going to watch a few more eps in the hopes that it picks up before dropping it.

Anime Kapibara-san (short): turned this off in less than 30 seconds...

Sore dake ga Neck (short): this was an odd short. Might take an ep or two more to see if it's worth watching

Looks like Friday is going to be the best day of the week this season. Looking forward to the reviews to see if there's anything else worth checking out

There seems to be a number of action sword and sorcery series this season (1,000,000 lives, King's Raid, Our Last Crusade etc), so I'm hoping at least one or two stand out in a few weeks
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:55 am Reply with quote
Funimation finally put the subs up for (deep breath) Magatsu Wahrheit -Zuerst-. You can see where it's going (especially from the promo image), but the spoiler[two-protagonist-who-are-mutual-antagonists] story is one of my favorites, so I'm sticking around. It also has a spoiler[delightfully messy fight (I love when a show happily makes fight scenes ugly and messy and poorly coordinated)]

Remember, kids, don't leave new employees unattended on their first day.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:22 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

I have to say... A quick review of a low-rent idol show is about the last place I expected to see a sneaky Red Green reference.

It's always a good time to drop by Possum Lodge! (Also you made my day by getting the reference. Smile)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I'm actually almost caught up (watching took a hit during Preview Guide), so at the very least, there'll be a review at the end of the show. spoiler[Right now I love how Cure Earth is so different (in every way, but specifically in her powers and costume) from the other three girls.]
I'm glad you're watching it and I look forward to your review.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:45 am Reply with quote
This season is pretty depressing. Funimation nabbed like all but 3 of the new shows. If this keeps up it will be the end of legal anime streaming for most of the world.
The only point of light is that Yashahime has multiple companies streaming it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:54 am Reply with quote
Terry Lang wrote:
This season is pretty depressing. Funimation nabbed like all but 3 of the new shows. If this keeps up it will be the end of legal anime streaming for most of the world.
The only point of light is that Yashahime has multiple companies streaming it.

This is a gross exaggeration. By my count CR picked up 16 titles with full-length episodes as well as several shorts, and that's not counting titles continuing from past seasons or short runs like Burn the Witch. They're still listing three TBAs, so there might be others that they're co-releasing, and they almost certainly have Attack on Titan 4.

Now, if you're talking only about titles available on CR in a country other than the U.S. or Canada, I can't comment on that since you don't specify where you live.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
It seems I miscounted quite a bit, its not as bad as it seemed to be.
But even so I only get to 8 new CR shows and 2 followup seasons based on the article. Yashahime, Dragon Quest, 1,000,000 Lives, TONIKAWA, Jujutsu Kaisen, Haikyu, Sport Climbing Girls, Noblesse, Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon and Osomatsu-san. Am I still miscounting or is more coming?

Luckily, Crunchyroll shows that are region-locked for me are pretty rare.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:16 pm Reply with quote
^
You're missing the new Love Live! season (which is a standalone), Golden Kamuy s3, Strike Witches s3, Is The Order A Rabbit? BLOOM, TSUKIUTA 2, and of course a mess of shorts. IDOLISH7 Second Beat is also supposed to be resuming the run from the spring season that was disrupted by COVID (though I don't think new episodes have been posted yet). Granted, all of those (except the shorts) are sequels, but they still count.

Hmmm, in looking back, most of those weren't reviewed in the Preview Guide. Looking at this page would be more accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14