• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2020 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I see. Thank you!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:27 am Reply with quote
I won´t wait till December to see all the noteworthy pilots there are this season so let´s do this.

Akudama Drive I expected nothing from this take on Karas (2005) starring Batman villains but he hacks at Pierrot of all studios and a bunch of nobodies at the helm managed to pull out an amazing looking pilot with lots of style. It’s another matter altogether if the fully original show has enough steam to stay good. Ep 2 certainly proved that fear. The story failed to advance at all, the budget already shows major signs of dropping out (a fight is skipped for example) and a groan inducing way to cheat death is introduced. The strong censorship isn´t helping either. Ep 3 will be my last if 20 semi-promising minutes are all the anime is worth for. 6/10 but likely less.

Golden Kamuy S3 Ep 25 adapted 4 chapters, that´s 80 pages! The anime continues to be paced like a cocaine rush but the meager animation seemed less terrible than usual. More on model than last time too, I think, and ep 26 followed that trend. Continue viewing this as a supplement to the award-winning manga so nothing much changed. 6,5/10

Higurashi: When They Cry – Gou (True) It was revealed when ep 2 aired that the now renamed show is both a reboot and sequel due to the time loop nature of the IP. It only shows how dry the udder is. Which again raises the main question: Who is this for? Newcomers now have over 60 eps to catch up on before starting with the non-reboot and old fans have to give up on the conclusion(s) they once saw. Doesn´t Exist/10.

Osomatsu-san S3 had another wacky pilot that likely won´t be a good way to judge the overall season but it was still lots of fun. I am not worried even if the heights of S1 will remain as the peak of this (top to bottom) reboot. 8/10, for now.

Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season begins December 7th. Just in for the anime of the year vote.

Taiso Samurai started alight and then fell off a cliff right before the halfway mark of the pilot. The anime has no idea what it wants to be and neither do I. 5/10

Ultraman S2 is still scheduled to drop in 2020.

Yuukoku no Moriarty The Jump manga and the a bit changed IG adaptation are ok but I am at least 15 years too old for the kiddie pool version of From Hell meets The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Funny how 2 anime this season adapt a manga featuring Jack the Ripper but Golden Kamuy is Seinen so it can go all out with him when/if S4 is made. 6/10

One legit anime is already airing and will be trumped by AoT S4 at the end of the season. Undeniably an improvement on the last 2 seasons that were plagued with mediocrity and production delays. Anime is on its way back.

Jiang Ziya: Legend of Deification is a Chinese production but could become the highest-grossing film of 2020 so it´s worthy of being mentioned. Its set in the same universe Ne Zha (2019) is set. That one was basically Naruto x Dreamworks and the somewhat more serious indirect follow-up prominently features the original Chinese version of the Nine-Tailed Fox. Hm. I liked the 2019 film so I am optimistic. The IP is China´s answer to the MCU and the series is only days away from crossing the billion-dollar mark so there is blood in the water. China´s animation output will likely begin to dramatically expand in the coming years so keep an eye out.
The anime industry made 2.3 billion in 2019. A Post-COVID China could catch up soon due to its size but quality control is another question entirely. Stuff like Ling Long: Incarnation or Scissor Seven begin to show basic competence so progress is being made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:32 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
"desert scene straight out of the North American Midwest"
(about Magatsu Wahrheit -Zuerst-)

I know this is a bit picayune, but even is you use one of the newer, expanded definitions of "Midwest" to mean Ohio and the states westward bordering the Great Lakes and the Mississippi and Missouri basins, instead of the original definition of the Ohio and the states westward bordering the Great Lakes, there are NO deserts in any of those states. Even the Dakota badlands aren't deserts...

Perhaps Southwest was what the reviewer meant to write?

Sorry, but I'm having some flashbacks to my childhood when the people in the midwestern industrial wasteland town I was born in were excited to hear that there was a TV series coming out that was set in our town, only to find that when it came out the idiots in Hollywood had put MOUNTAINS in the background shots of the town for a Central Michigan automotive industry town (better known now for having toxic water) and the main character worked in a steal foundry... not an auto factory. It's like they didn't even bother to look at pictures of the town let alone visit it for reference. Geographical inaccuracy has struck a sour note with me ever since.

That's one of the things I love about the anime industry. They frequently go to extremes with making their background scenery match precisely what they are aiming for, and frequently make trips to places to get reference materials for scenery. (I'm sure the places in Japan that have tourism as a result appreciate it too.)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
Might as well bump this because there was one more Fall season title that premiered (even had a preview screening), and that's 1st episode of Bushiroad's D4DJ: First Mix. You can even watch it here, for free and legally! Cool

I knew I was going to enjoy this because the music is my kind of jam, and this does not disappoint. The opening episode is pretty typical since we have our excited, rather hyperactive protagonist Rinku wanting to get into the world of DJing after seeing her first rave party; I heard from Bang Dream fans Rinku is like a combination of 2 girls, but I have no clue. So yeah, it doesn't have a crazy ass premise as Hypnotic Mic, but one does wonder how the heck can a school hold rave parties.

Like I've said before, the music is utterly sick, and this is where Sanzigen really shines during the rave parties particularly during Peaky P-Key's concert. I expect lots of good beats throughout this entire series so I had a fun time with this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14