• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? 2 BR

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:39 am Reply with quote
The problem is not about having the message spelled out to you as the message is still their, the problem is the hypocrisy of the message itself.

I mean you have this story that tells you that regardless of your circumstance you still have value despite your profession and your pureness but than the series itself cops out by stating they are still pure, meaning they had gone out of their way to say that message but still unnecessary made the effort to highlight they are still pure and never done the did to cater to the majority that actually want that pureness.

All it is really saying they will say those words but dont really mean it. It is in bad tastes to do it like this as it is pure hypocricy at its best example.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:52 pm Reply with quote
@youarenotanorc
While I can understand, and even agree somewhat with you.
There is a major problem, If you can not actually talk about sex in your work due to your demographic and only hint at it..... THEN WHY THE #(@!#% would you then make a major new character a sex slave and have many rape attempts on them and the mc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so sorry but is it that crazy an idea to go HEY MY HANDS MIGHT BE TIED IF I DO THIS TOPIC IN MY STORY, MAYBE I SHOULDN'T DO IT!!

Just because you can do something maybe you should stop and consider if that means you SHOULD do something.
pibburns

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:56 am Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:
Quick Question, did they include an English dub for the OVA? I haven't seen anyone confirm if it was and I feel like it would be kind of a waste not to dub it especially considering they dubbed not only the movie but also released the one OVA in its own separate release.

Yes, the season 2 OVA is dubbed in English on Sentai's blu-ray release. Doesn't make any more sense in English than in Japanese.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that I just watch Dan Machi for Ryu Lion...

Ah, i see you're a person of culture as well!

Since i'm a reader of the novels, i haven't yet felt the need to watch this season, though i'm disappointed to hear the adaptation of the Apollo arc wasn't paced well; that was a favorite arc of mine in the novels.

Regarding that one plot point, i have to agree that it was indeed an unfortunate copout. The whole point of that arc's climax was that,spoiler[ regardless of her so-called "purity," Haruhime is no less worthy of being saved than anyone else. Whether or not she's had sex doesn't define her worth or value as a person! Revealing that she was "pure" all long is just a slap in the face.]

In a sense, this reminds me of Fushigi Yuugi, which tried to pull this "twist" off TWICE. spoiler[The first time, it works; After being seperated from her best friend Miaka and crush Tamahome, Yui is assaulted by bandits, leading her to resent Miaka for having a protector, and becoming a primary series antagonist. Whether or not she was actually raped (and it turns out she wasn't) isn't important, because what matters was her feeling of helplessness and resultant (highly understandable!) feelings of pain and resentment. The second time absolutely does NOT, as Miaka is led to believe she has been raped by the other primary antagonist for the sake of melodrama that is almost immediately forgotten (man, these classic shojo isekai played fast and loose with sexual assault, didn't they?).
]

I guess my point is that this sort of thing CAN be used for good storytelling, even if it really shouldn't.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
For all it's worth, the anime handled that twist better than the novels, since both Bell and Haruhime are actually unaware of it, as Aisha pretty much only tells the audience about it. Which, now that I think about, can be seen as even more cynical. Uh, nevermind.

Both the second season and the current ongoing third season (so far, of course) felt like it had more of Sword Oratoria's pace/level, where almost every episode is just kind of ok wherein the first season had some pretty bad ones followed by very very good ones. I liked first season's style of adaptation better - yeah it rushed some stuff, but at least the climaxes were incredibly well done.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For all it's worth, the anime handled that twist better than the novels, since both Bell and Haruhime are actually unaware of it, as Aisha pretty much only tells the audience about it. Which, now that I think about, can be seen as even more cynical. Uh, nevermind.

I totally agree with the first part of that statement, but not the cynical part. The message wasn't undermined because Bell would have done the same thing either way. The reveal isn't saying anything about Haruhime, it's saying something about Aisha. spoiler[ And again, what matters is that Bell acted under the assumption that she was a prostitute and still deserved to be saved. It still baffles me that people can look at that and say "I would have liked it better if Haruhime HAD been raped" and not "Oh, Aisha actually cared enough about Haruhime to protect her."

Like, think about it another way, this is information Aisha knew all along! She wanted Bell to save Haruhime, and she probably would have done it herself if she hadn't been charmed by Ishtar. It was a test of his character to withhold that info. A real cop out in my mind would have been her telling Bell BEFORE he decided to rescue her that she was a pure maiden. Instead he had to re-evaluate what being a hero really meant to him, and whether sticking to his ideals was worth risking his new familia members. The reveal about Haruhime doesn't suddenly negate all of that. In fact, we see it even more in S3 when Bell rescues and protects a monster, because it's the RIGHT thing to do, even if it means turning all of society against him.]

All that said, to me there's something coming up that I consider a REAL narrative copout, even though I'm personally ok with it. Novel readers know what I'm talking about.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
youarenotanorc wrote:
Post removed

1) The first time you bring up Index is for its handling of religion. The second time that I've quoted here is for its handling of sexual dynamics, which frankly I don't recall it ever using as a plot driver. Enlighten me as to when that was, by all means.

2) I don't see any segment of the review where Theron attributes the prurient nature of the Haruhime Arc to otaku pandering. Only the revelation that spoiler[Haruhime is pure after all and thus waifuing her is A-OK weebs!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2