• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Release Fist of the North Star, No. 5, Sensor, Mashle, Undead Unluck, Yakuza Lover Mang

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:26 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I'd find it funny if they brand [Fist of the North Star] under their Shonen Jump line

Why?

Because outside of certain crossovers, Fist of the North Star hasn't been under Japanese Shonen Jump since Tetsuo Hara and a few other guys left Shueisha to form their own company in 2000.

It's basically like what happened with Shaman King when Hiroyuki Takei left Shueisha and took all manga rights with him to Kodansha.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:47 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I'd find it funny if they brand [Fist of the North Star] under their Shonen Jump line

Why?

On top of that NJ_ wrote, it feels a lot more like a seinen work by today's standards. You don't see the sort of gratuitous violence you'd find in FotNS and JJBA in modern Weekly Shonen Jump titles.

~

Speaking of Shonen Jump titles, it's interesting to see Viz commit to a physical release for Undead Unluck so quickly (whereas Mashle seemed all but guaranteed to receive the physical treatment). It feels as if Shueisha is trying hard to push this title as one of their next big hits, especially given how a few series have ended or are ending soon.

What also intrigues me is that Viz did not made a similar commitment to Mission: Yozakura Family, which may or may not be telling, given that it debuted a little earlier than the other two titles set for a print release.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:58 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Because outside of certain crossovers, Fist of the North Star hasn't been under Japanese Shonen Jump since Tetsuo Hara and a few other guys left Shueisha to form their own company in 2000.

It's likely those very crossovers are what helped allow Viz to license Fist in the first place, though. It was generally felt that Coamix co-founder Tetsuo Hara, Tsukasa Hojo, & especially former Jump editor-in-chief Nobuhiko Horie harbored some ill will towards Shueisha, which is partially why they formed Gutsoon & tried to take on Viz in North America. However, things obviously has cooled since then, & both Hara & Hojo even participated in Jump's 50th Anniversary (Hara even did a live interview at Jump Festa that year, I believe) so I don't see any reason why Viz wouldn't release Fist under the Shonen Jump label, especially when it's a major part of its history.

Let's face it, why would Hara/Coamix allow Viz to license Fist, but NOT allow it to be published under the Shonen Jump label? You're only weakening its sales potential that way. And, seriously, when was the last time Viz published a Jump manga (as in "ran in the actual magazine itself") & DIDN'T release it under that label? I believe it'd be Bastard!!, which originally came out before that label & magazine debuted over here, in the first place.

Buster Blader 126 wrote:
On top of that NJ_ wrote, it feels a lot more like a seinen work by today's standards. You don't see the sort of gratuitous violence you'd find in FotNS and JJBA in modern Weekly Shonen Jump titles.

And yet JoJo: Diamond is Unbreakable is still being published under the current Shonen Jump label, even after the older-audience-aimed SJ Advanced label was quietly killed. I mean, come on, freaking Chainsaw Man is being published under the current SJ label (when the same creator's SJ+-serialized Fire Punch wasn't), so that doesn't feel like a good enough excuse for Fist to be kept away from it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
The Shonen Jump twitter account just promoted the news of Fist of the North Star's license with its own tweet, essentially confirming that it will indeed be released under that label.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:27 am Reply with quote
I guess Viz figured if Slam Dunk could get to the end, so could Fist. As for Bobobo, it allegedly has racist content. And Kinnikuman had Brocken Jr.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2