• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wandering Witch - The Journey of Elaina

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
I might have missed it, because I was laughing too hard at how ridiculous it all was, but did they explain how an eight year old with no special powers managed to single handedly take down three grown adults, one of which was a super powerful magic user with experience fighting violent serial killers?

I think it's fair to say that part was glossed over but if you wanted to fill in the blanks, I suppose you could argue that even a child with a knife could do some damage if they had the element of surprise.
Florete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:14 am Reply with quote
Everyone, I think Elaina's mom, Fran and Sheila's teacher, and Nike might all actually be the same person! Crazy idea, I know, but I've just got this feeling, and since no one seems to be thinking of this I just wanted to put it out there.

(Yes, that was sarcasm)
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:55 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
I might have missed it, because I was laughing too hard at how ridiculous it all was, but did they explain how an eight year old with no special powers managed to single handedly take down three grown adults, one of which was a super powerful magic user with experience fighting violent serial killers?

I've seen enough anime to know that the more tragic your backstory, the stronger you become.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Reviewer-san for the article that got me to check out Ep9 after checking out of this show at Ep3! While not a laugh-riot for me, it was a nice little drama that was delightfully disconnected from character building so at the end I didn't care in the least what had happened. Well, I did care about just two things. Why was Selena not automatically suspect after hearing Estella's story and why did Stupid Elaina not take off with the mondo bag of money after going through all that given how hungry she was. I don't like very sad stories, and this was just right. Heck, even Selena looked like she was having a good time (being decapitated). Vapidly pointless and a good reason why I should stay away. The artwork is gorgeous though...
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
And thus, every witch that has appeared more than once is tightly related to each other.
The episode itself was very nice, but I can't shake off the feeling that doing this makes what should be a large and mysterious world feel very small. Everyone knows (and have learned from) each other and they have been to the same places.

ThrowMeOut wrote:

Well, the reason why the witch didn't defend herself is pretty clear.
The abusive parents, however... child killer superpowers I guess. She probably also made some sick flips and pirouettes while doing the deed.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:34 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
And thus, every witch that has appeared more than once is tightly related to each other.
The episode itself was very nice, but I can't shake off the feeling that doing this makes what should be a large and mysterious world feel very small. Everyone knows (and have learned from) each other and they have been to the same places.

ThrowMeOut wrote:

Well, the reason why the witch didn't defend herself is pretty clear.
The abusive parents, however... child killer superpowers I guess. She probably also made some sick flips and pirouettes while doing the deed.

She drew the knife in a sexy way? It worked for our apprentice witches after all against whole group of battle-hardened thugs Smile
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Well I find the show to be at times superficial and not very good, so seems fitting. Laughing

I had really high hopes for this one based on the first episode, but it's now more a "meh" for me.

On the plus side, I did like this latest episode. And the sad part is probably because Elaina was not in it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Kiskaloo wrote:
On the plus side, I did like this latest episode. And the sad part is probably because Elaina was not in it.

I had that same reaction. I quite enjoyed this installment then realized I hadn't seen Elaina at all.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:23 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:

I had that same reaction. I quite enjoyed this installment then realized I hadn't seen Elaina at all.

I remember having the same reaction to lack of Arararagi in many arcs of the Bakemonogatari's second season. Usually it's the bland male harem protagonists that are the weakest part of the cast (not saying that Araragi was bland, this just general remark).
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Personally I like Elaina's arrogant and selfish personality. Not so much the inconsistent way she reacts to the world.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:40 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Personally I like Elaina's arrogant and selfish personality. Not so much the inconsistent way she reacts to the world.

I feel she would be great MC in a different show, or maybe just with different selection of visited cities and kingdoms. Like a more competent Aqua (from Konosuba). Maybe stuff like the pointless work city from Kino, I feel there are several episodes of Kino's journey where Elaina could be inserted instead with interesting results.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

I feel she would be great MC in a different show, or maybe just with different selection of visited cities and kingdoms. Like a more competent Aqua (from Konosuba). Maybe stuff like the pointless work city from Kino, I feel there are several episodes of Kino's journey where Elaina could be inserted instead with interesting results.

I feel like the doll country was a missed opportunity.
It had the right ingredients: a country with an odd gimmick, something interesting going on, Elaina's involvement at its center and the situation played to all of her character traits. Too bad the actual execution pulled its punches and decided to go for absurdist humour (again) and couldn't become something actually memorable.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

I can't even tell if we're supposed to think she's arrogant and selfish, because when she was in the country without liars, she tried to write, "I have a twisted personality," and it turned into, "I have a pure heart." Wasted opportunity for a bit of self-aware humor, in my opinion.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:34 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

I can't even tell if we're supposed to think she's arrogant and selfish, because when she was in the country without liars, she tried to write, "I have a twisted personality," and it turned into, "I have a pure heart." Wasted opportunity for a bit of self-aware humor, in my opinion.

I think Elaina as a character and the whole show itself would be sooooo much better if they treated her narcissism as a character flaw but that scene in the Lying country really made her insufferable and also made me dislike the overall story for trying to tell me that Elaina is in fact beautiful and perfect and purehearted
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

I think the spell was like a lie detector, in that her saying she has a pure heart is the truth of what she believes, but isn't necessarily the actual truth of what her character is. If the spell made people speak facts, then a person could learn what other people are hiding, like checking to see if they can say "my husband is cheating".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18