• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wandering Witch - The Journey of Elaina

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:13 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
I can't even tell if we're supposed to think she's arrogant and selfish, because when she was in the country without liars, she tried to write, "I have a twisted personality," and it turned into, "I have a pure heart." Wasted opportunity for a bit of self-aware humor, in my opinion.

She's narcissistic, of course she honestly thinks she's beautiful inside and outside.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, it was a return to stupid comedy but, just like the previous episode, there was some more relevant stuff sharing the spotlight.
As trite or problematic as some of the tropes might have been, I'll admit I laughed quite a few times. Didn't notice the body swap though, Saya and Elaina were acting entirely normal!

Anyway, it felt weird to ommit both OP and ED for this, since what happened isn't all that important? It had a couple of moments about Elaina and her relationship with Fran and Nike, and it was a big reunion showing how small the world is (because of course Mina ALSO had to be tutored by someone we know), but it's hardly anything world-changing or that comes with revelations and great changes in perspective or about the future.
Although speaking of the future, there was that mention of an island to the north producing those weird curio so I guess that's where the series will choose to end.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Didn't notice the body swap though, Saya and Elaina were acting entirely normal!

I will be honest here. I got spoiled on the "Elaina french kisses her own reflection" scene by Twitter, and the possibility that wasn't really Elaina didn't occur to me until the body swapping ensued.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:47 pm Reply with quote
That episode was a lot of "Wait, that was it?"

They round up the robbers. "Wait, that was it?"
They catch the leader. "Wait, that was it?"
They return the town to normal. "Wait, that was it?"
Time skip and Elaina and Saya are back to normal, making their body swap completely pointless outside of a few quick gags. "Wait, that was it?"

"Anticlimactic" doesn't feel like a strong enough word. It's still rather low-hanging fruit, but they didn't even bother having the two need to adjust to a new power level, since Saya is likely noticeably weaker than Elaina.

Yuvelir wrote:
Didn't notice the body swap though, Saya and Elaina were acting entirely normal!

I dunno, Saya looking at Elaina with disgust doesn't feel like Saya to me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Despite everything, I did still on some level still enjoy seeing Saya in Elaina's body loving herself slightly more than Elaina usually does.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote
That 2.5/5 score feels awfully generous for this week's episode. When I finished the episode, my first thought was that I needed a drink because of the sheer absurdity of it (something earlier episodes hadn't even manage to do).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leahi84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I think the reviewer has been way too harsh on this show. I've personally enjoyed it from the beginning. The only episode that bothered me was the murderous girl one, but that was only cause of the over the top violence seemed so out of place. I hope there will be another season.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
After talking it over with editorial we've decided the only fair and objective way to properly assign an arbitrary star rating is to abandon numbers and use Calvin & Hobbes panels. Starting retroactively with episode 9:

NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
After talking it over with editorial we've decided the only fair and objective way to properly assign an arbitrary star rating is to abandon numbers and use Calvin & Hobbes panels. Starting retroactively with episode 9:

Brilliant!!! (And always lovely to see my best boys Very Happy )
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote

I feel swindled!
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I think in the end one of this series' greatest flaws is that it's unable to control its own tone.
On paper, the concept of meeting different versions of yourself that took different choices in life is pretty interesting, but the execution was the usual inner-sides council taken to the extreme. Nothing wrong with having humour be the protagonist in such a ludicrous scene (I liked a few of the gags there, specially the Protagonist Me bit, and that a couple of the Elainas were so similar to the "original" gave credit to the premise) but once again the lack of control turned the humour into Osomatsu-tier absurdism, and the Ichimatsus weren't the worst of it by a long shot!
I liked the issue with "Violent Me" and what that entailed, and the battle was cool, but unfortunately she was defined by those situations where she couldn't make a difference (even though she could) and specially the horrendous "Higurashi" episode. If it was going to be so pivotal for Elaina's inner world, they really should have done better.

In the end I liked this show more than I hated it, but unfortunately it was full of obvious mistakes and dissonances that don't let it take off.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I have only one request if there will be a season 2, please let Mr Dupree continue reviewing the show, also please continue using Calvin & Hobbes panel for a grade if you ever feel numbers along aren’t enough
Florete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:08 am Reply with quote
Don't forget that one of the Elainas was literally in love with all her selves.

I definitely expected way more from this show. I read the first 2 volumes of the novel before the anime aired and I think I bought volume 3 as well, and while it always had some weirdness to it the anime really soured me on buying any more. It doesn't help that what I thought were some of the better chapters didn't get animated.

On the other hand, I stopped reading Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear quickly after the first volume, but I've been enjoying that anime way more despite much lower production values.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:57 am Reply with quote
I must be dumb, because I greatly enjoyed episodes like the bodyswap and the council of Elainas. My thought on the different versions were kind of like the Matsunos. You have the sort of leader with not as much personality Osomatsu. One who likes to think of themselves as smart and acts high over it while avoiding actual responsibility, Choromatsu. A total ditsy idiot, who would be Jyushimatsu. A cingey version who could be none other than Karamatsu. Like three varied versions of dark and depressed Ichimatsu. And, they are all kind of Todomatsu.

They had a ghoul Elaina, but I also thought I saw a plant zombie version too.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
A haiku:

The worst show ever.

Fades to black gone forever.

No one remembers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18