• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wandering Witch - The Journey of Elaina

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
If you like the idea of this show but are frustrated with the show's handling of Elaina, I urge you to check out the manga or LN. She laments being unable to change things, struggles with how much to interfere, and pretty much every story featured in the show has a more ambiguous, less melodramatic ending. I have absolutely zero idea why they made the changes they did, and it's awful that it's given people the impression of it that they seem to have.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I must be dumb, because I greatly enjoyed episodes like the bodyswap and the council of Elainas. My thought on the different versions were kind of like the Matsunos. You have the sort of leader with not as much personality Osomatsu. One who likes to think of themselves as smart and acts high over it while avoiding actual responsibility, Choromatsu. A total ditsy idiot, who would be Jyushimatsu. A cingey version who could be none other than Karamatsu. Like three varied versions of dark and depressed Ichimatsu. And, they are all kind of Todomatsu.

They had a ghoul Elaina, but I also thought I saw a plant zombie version too.

At least we can agree that this episode resembled Osomatsu.

There was indeed a plant Elaina. I was told that almost every Elaina was in reference to past chapters which the anime skipped over.
Pettanthropology

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
So in the end, Elaina got her wish of finally sleeping with herself. Frankly, I'm surprised there wasn't a large orgy involved. That alone would have redeemed this. .10/10
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
A haiku:

The worst show ever.

Fades to black gone forever.

No one remembers.

Cute poem, but I'll remember this show. These cases of squandered potential are fascinating to study and pull apart. It had all the ingredients for a smash hit, but instead it came out of the oven an under-baked, soggy mess. As someone who loves writing fiction myself, it was damn educational.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
"My Next Life as a Villainess" did this "council thing" so much better...

After the first episode, I expected this to be my favorite show of the dozen I settled upon watching, but it ended up being my least. I don't regret watching it and it certainly was not a "hate watch".

I haven't read the source material (and honestly have no interest in doing so after my experience with the anime) so maybe the adaption team did the source material a great disservice or maybe they did the best with what they had.

If there is a second season, I don't plan to be there unless Mr. Dupree is assigned to review it - assuming he's willing to take another bullet, of course. I found his reviews more entertaining then the actual episodes and not in a cynical or snarky way, either. I believe he did the best with what he was presented with and I appreciate that.
Leahi84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:35 am Reply with quote
I really liked this show a lot, and hope there's a second season. I also hope someone less cynical reviews it if there is a second one. Way too negative.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:13 am Reply with quote
Leahi84 wrote:
I really liked this show a lot, and hope there's a second season. I also hope someone less cynical reviews it if there is a second one. Way too negative.

A difference in reviewer isn't gonna make it any less negative, so long as they still dislike the show.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote
This final episode was really good, but the series as a whole was very hit or miss. It does heartwarming really well, but its attempts at being dark or serious fail spectacularly. Some of the more CGDCT-esque episodes bored me more than anything.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:21 am Reply with quote
The last episode was hilarious. I mean, it wasn’t brilliant, and if it was trying to be touching, that didn’t quite work (Violent Elaina’s breaking point was the haircut? Not slavery, mass murder or man eating plants?) but as a silly exploration of Elaina’s self obsession and anime characters tropes, it worked (I liked how all the “Dark Elainas” had a variation of the theme). And could there be any more self aware gag on Elaina’s self love than her literally sleeping with herself? *Chef’s Kiss*

The stinger confused me because I thought “Amnesia” was Violent Elaina.

Overall, this was a show I wanted to like. The animation and music were fun to watch throughout, and tonally it tended to be lighter than the other shows I’m watching this season, so it wasn’t a hate watch as much as a mildly disappointing watch. The only episode that outright offended me was the “Higurashi” one. It’s link of “abuse victim killing abusers in self defense” to “serial killer” reflects some ignorant ideas about real life issues it wasn’t qualified to address. I’m glad that the reviewer and most of the commenters here called the show out on it.

But most of the comedy episodes were mostly harmless.

Very curious how the anime differs from the source material, if anyone would be so kind and share some examples.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
I'd put Sleepy Princess ahead of Elaina when considering the fall season's cute-girl offerings.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, I enjoyed the show for sadistic reasons. Eliana's smugness isn't to the degree that it makes her unbearable but boy did I love seeing her get egg on her face.
Kevin Chung Lin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
ChurchChills wrote:
The issue I have with comparing this to something like Kino or Mushishi is there was a limit to what either of them could do. Both Kino and Ginko are skilled at what they do but they're not super powerful.

The fact that Elania has tons of magical power and no restrictions on using it and then decides to not help in either situations feels lazy both on her part and just the writing in general. It's not like she made an attempt but was rebuffed by some law or rule of the land, she just went "Oh well, that sucks" and dipped.

You have the ability to improve the situation! Do something! At least try to do something!

I really wonder as to how you think Elaina could've handled things without the possibility of any problems or consequences. Cause I seen literally none, and if you say otherwise, then you're probably overestimating her magic proficiency like she's Saitama or Kirito or someone similar.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'd put Sleepy Princess ahead of Elaina when considering the fall season's cute-girl offerings.

It also works if you consider fall season's evil or at least cold-heart heroine offerings.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:15 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

It also works if you consider fall season's evil or at least cold-heart heroine offerings.

Nana vs Princess
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:17 am Reply with quote
Kevin Chung Lin wrote:
ChurchChills wrote:
The issue I have with comparing this to something like Kino or Mushishi is there was a limit to what either of them could do. Both Kino and Ginko are skilled at what they do but they're not super powerful.

The fact that Elania has tons of magical power and no restrictions on using it and then decides to not help in either situations feels lazy both on her part and just the writing in general. It's not like she made an attempt but was rebuffed by some law or rule of the land, she just went "Oh well, that sucks" and dipped.

You have the ability to improve the situation! Do something! At least try to do something!

I really wonder as to how you think Elaina could've handled things without the possibility of any problems or consequences. Cause I seen literally none, and if you say otherwise, then you're probably overestimating her magic proficiency like she's Saitama or Kirito or someone similar.

Was this question directed at ChurchChills specifically, or can anyone answer? Because while I can’t tell what would’ve worked without problems or consequences in episode 3, I can tell what would have made Elaina sympathetic to me.

The problem was that the girl was a slave, that showing her the life and happiness she was missing was likely going to drive her to suicide, and that the son was oblivious to all this, yes? The bottle was right there. Elaina could have put the girl’s feelings of despair into the bottle and showed them to the son. Maybe also the father. Let them discover what they’re doing to her.
Maybe they change their ways out of shock and shame, and try to make amends. Maybe it doesn’t work out. Maybe the father lashes out, or the son becomes overwhelmed and too afraid to act. But either outcome would have been the result of Elaina trying to help, and an act of decency and responsibility on her part.

It could have been a story about the power of empathy to break down huge social ills, or it could have been a story about how good intentions can't fix everything. I would have preferred either one to the “If you see someone in trouble, just look away” message Elaina gave us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 18 of 18