• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
I knew about Fionn, but didn't know that the mythological version had a thumb thing going on as well. One thing you didn't mention, Rebecca, is that Fionn (like many Celtic heroes) was a spear-user (or at least seems to commonly be shown in art using a spear), so Finn in DanMachi using spears has a mythological reference as well as being practical for his size.

And speaking of his size, Fionn's also said to be a giant, which is probably why Finn's surname is Fionn's childhood name. I like to think that it's also a reference to Finn's outsize role with regards to his people and in Loki Familia.

Amuro1X, Oonaugh (Anglicized Oona) is a bit of a trickster figure herself, so that makes me think Omori might be heading in a specific direction with Finn's marital ambitions, although he seems to have dismissed spoiler[Lili] as a possibility in that short story. (But after the sixth Sword Oratoria novel, I'm really not a fan of Finn/Tione. I wasn't before, but that sort of clinched it for me.)
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
(But after the sixth Sword Oratoria novel, I'm really not a fan of Finn/Tione. I wasn't before, but that sort of clinched it for me.)

Oh now I have to know, what happens to clinch it for you to not like it, becasue I doubt more Sword Oratoria gets animated too show me why.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
Amuro1X wrote:
Also, I wrote somewhere else about how Bell and Finn contrast I'm their pursuit of becoming a "hero." Where Bell is idealistic and wants to be a hero because of his childhood obsession with them and struggles with defining his own sense of right and wrong, Finn only cares about being a hero in the eyes of the people for his own political machinations. Finn is brilliant and, despite his looks, is no naive child so even if he can intuit that the Xenos are intelligent, he won't go against the grain of the populist opinion.

Here's how I see it when it comes to comparing Bell and Finn.

Finn (who calls himself an artificial hero) is the hero Orario needs but not the one it deserves.
Bell (the sincere and idealistic hero) is the hero Orario deserves but not the one it needs right now.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:08 am Reply with quote
I guess a public apology from Bell just wont cut it in this case, huh? lol

It will be interesting to see if Finn actually doesn't know about final two entrances, or if it's just a part of his plan.

I didn't know the thumb tick mythology origin, nice bit of detail there =)
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:26 am Reply with quote
the real MO i am wondering is bell's reaction when he finds out that Syr spoiler[ is actually Freya in disguise & have been all along ]

it will definitely break his little heart one he discovers that his closest confadant was a BIGGER sharlaton than ishtar!

Last edited by jr240483 on Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:26 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:

Finn (who calls himself an artificial hero) is the hero Orario needs but not the one it deserves.
Bell (the sincere and idealistic hero) is the hero Orario deserves but not the one it needs right now.

Curiously, (mild spoiler for a later volume of Sword Oratoria) spoiler[Finn eventually comes almost to that exact realization himself.]

Covnam wrote:
It will be interesting to see if Finn actually doesn't know about final two entrances, or if it's just a part of his plan.

Sadly, you won't see the full story on that in this series. There is actually a whole 'nother side to this affair which is detailed in equivalent-time-period volumes of Sword Oratoria. And a two-cour commitment on animating more Sword Oratoria would be needed to reach and fully cover it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:14 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
GhostD wrote:

Curiously, (mild spoiler for a later volume of Sword Oratoria) spoiler[Finn eventually comes almost to that exact realization himself.]

I actually wanted to write this in your SO vol 10 review but I completely forgot
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:

Oh now I have to know, what happens to clinch it for you to not like it, becasue I doubt more Sword Oratoria gets animated too show me why.

Well, it's more of a personal pet issue, I guess, because I never really liked that pairing to begin with. Smile Basically that novel goes into the Amazon twins' past and reveals that Tione spoiler[was very well indoctrinated into the culture of violence and slaughter espoused by the Amazons' goddess, Kali. The reason she falls for Finn is that he's stronger than her and she sees him as having saved her. It's less "love" in the romantic (or even sexual) sense and more a case of hero worship and finding her own value in someone else.] It's a really interesting book, but basically my problem with Finn/Tione is almost identical to my issue with Gray/Juvia in Fairy Tail - spoiler[I want her to find worth in herself first, and I thought the novel showed pretty clearly that she had too much emotional baggage that she never dealt with.]
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Treecko Tempo wrote:

Well, it's more of a personal pet issue, I guess, because I never really liked that pairing to begin with. Smile Basically that novel goes into the Amazon twins' past and reveals that Tione spoiler[was very well indoctrinated into the culture of violence and slaughter espoused by the Amazons' goddess, Kali. The reason she falls for Finn is that he's stronger than her and she sees him as having saved her. It's less "love" in the romantic (or even sexual) sense and more a case of hero worship and finding her own value in someone else.] It's a really interesting book, but basically my problem with Finn/Tione is almost identical to my issue with Gray/Juvia in Fairy Tail - spoiler[I want her to find worth in herself first, and I thought the novel showed pretty clearly that she had too much emotional baggage that she never dealt with.]

That and she's a yandere. Don't know if its considered canon but DanMemo expanded on spoiler[Finn's proposal to Lili. After the fiasco at the restaurant, a scene showed Tione stalking and threatening Lili when the latter was on her way home alone]. Honestly it creeped me out.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But just like there's usually a choice between doing what's right and what's easy, there's often a similar one between believing – do you try and understand the difficult truth? Or do you just go with what the most people believe the loudest? Most of the townsfolk have definitely gone with the second choice,

I don't know if that's really a fair reading of the townsfolk here. At least how it's been presented in the episode, they are reacting to the specific information that they have been given. Namely that Monsters found their way into the town from the dungeon, and that Bell stopped one of the monsters from being destroyed on the spot, because he called dibs, which led to more destruction.They weren't told about the xenos being sentient, or anything like that. Just that Bell's actions led to more destruction of Orario.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:41 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
Treecko Tempo wrote:

That and she's a yandere. Don't know if its considered canon but DanMemo expanded on spoiler[Finn's proposal to Lili. After the fiasco at the restaurant, a scene showed Tione stalking and threatening Lili when the latter was on her way home alone]. Honestly it creeped me out.

its probably the reason why lili did what she did since she obviously knows bell doesnt love her romantically!

having that yandere go into "school days" dead end mode wouldnt have beem good for ANYONE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
the real MO i am wondering is bell's reaction when he finds out that Syr spoiler[ is actually Freya in disguise & have been all along ]

Has that actually & finally been confirmed? I thought it was still just a theory.

Key wrote:

Sadly, you won't see the full story on that in this series. There is actually a whole 'nother side to this affair which is detailed in equivalent-time-period volumes of Sword Oratoria. And a two-cour commitment on animating more Sword Oratoria would be needed to reach and fully cover it.

Hopefully this series continues to do well enough that we'll see more of both, but if we don't get more Oratoria, at least there's a chance we'll see it in the mobile game.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

Has that actually & finally been confirmed? I thought it was still just a theory.

To my knowledge, that hasn't been confirmed. The Familia Chronicle: Episode Freya novel specified that spoiler[Freya found the girl that she would name Syr as a dying child (and probably specifically named her Syr - which is an alternate name for Freya in mythology - because the girl said she wanted to become Freya)], so that seems highly unlikely.

Quote:
Hopefully this series continues to do well enough that we'll see more of both, but if we don't get more Oratoria, at least there's a chance we'll see it in the mobile game.

Yeah, SO novel 6 (the first one past where the anime stopped) did get used as the main October/November event in DanMemo, so there's hope that the game will get to it eventually even if the animation doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:11 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Covnam wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

To my knowledge, that hasn't been confirmed. The Familia Chronicle: Episode Freya novel specified that spoiler[Freya found the girl that she would name Syr as a dying child (and probably specifically named her Syr - which is an alternate name for Freya in mythology - because the girl said she wanted to become Freya)], so that seems highly unlikely.

This deals with Vol 16 spoilers so definitely don't read since Vol 16 won't see an English release until later next year at the earliest, spoiler[but yeah, Freya is the Syr we've known all along. The Syr that Freya took in gave her name to Freya and became Helen, an adventurer with a skill that allows her to take on Freya's form. Meanwhile Freya becomes Syr Flover.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:54 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Volume 16 fills out the rest of the orphan's & Freya's story.

Helen (or Helun),whom makes brief appearances in both the main & SOs novels-

spoiler[ Is the original Syr].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13