• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:50 am Reply with quote
srlracing wrote:
If we read all of Dr. Silverman's Danmachi reviews do we get a degree in literature?

Hope so. Im learning so much from these reviews. Literature and mythology. And I don't usually take much interest in those
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:37 am Reply with quote
I can say after episode 11 that while I never liked Ains, I never disliked her until now. She could have pulled even if she immediately broke her sword after Weine tore off her claws but it probably didn't even occur to Ains how equivalent their weapons were. Moral high ground here, moral high ground there but then suddenly she's the monster... I've always been aware in the utter hypocrisy in the terms humane and humanity "to be human is to be humane, ah the wonder of humanity" while people kill each other for little or less reasons forever but Ains' problem is that she tried to set a standard beyond species. "Well, you don't have to be human, just don't be cruel, don't make the weak cry" which she utterly failed to live up to herself.

Ains wasn't the monster in the scene but she was THE monster there.

But then the wing incident happened and that was where i lost all respect for Ains. Also, she beat Ryu Lion... off screen even... so there's that but how can one being watch another being self mutilate and feel nothing? Say "Wait" Say "Stop" say "No", say something, anything.

The story took awhile to get going and I still have some qualms about some of the character motivations... the black minotaur especially... but this has been the best overall season of the show.
Joryn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:34 am Reply with quote
Amuro1X wrote:
Even if he didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of beating her. His experiences with gaining familia members, the Xenos, and defining what being a hero means to him have steadily given him more and more reasons to grow strong than just catching up to Ais, so that even if there paths do diverge, the strong emotion that powers his rapid growth won't disappear.

Can't wait for the finale!

The final episode will really solidify part of this for you.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
srlracing wrote:
If we read all of Dr. Silverman's Danmachi reviews do we get a degree in literature?

Hope so. Im learning so much from these reviews. Literature and mythology. And I don't usually take much interest in those

Even if srlracing was being sarcastic, you both just made my day.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I admit I was slightly sarcastic at the start but I was being honest when I said I was learning stuff through reading the reviews so....you're welcome.
srlracing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
GhostD wrote:
srlracing wrote:

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. Reading these Danmachi reviews have been hugely educational and add to my appreciation what is already one of my favorite stories by giving me a deeper appreciation and understanding beyond my very surface level understanding of the story.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Great episode. That scene with Wiene was very powerful, it hurt to watch. I thought Ais immediately stopping without any follow up from her seemed a bit quick, though perhaps nothing more really could have been said and a few moments of quiet contemplation wouldn't have fit the run time.
I would have liked to have seen Wiene say something to Tiona, even a 'thank you', just to see her reaction to a monster understanding and responding to what she said.
Next week's title sure does make for an interesting teaser (not to mention that post credits scene), so looking forward to the finale. Hopefully we also hear about more content coming in the future (OVAs, S4, Oratoria S2 etc) afterwards.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:19 pm Reply with quote
srlracing wrote:

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. Reading these Danmachi reviews have been hugely educational and add to my appreciation what is already one of my favorite stories by giving me a deeper appreciation and understanding beyond my very surface level understanding of the story.

I'm so glad! I've really been enjoying writing them. Seriously, you've now made my day twice over.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:39 pm Reply with quote
That felt pretty tense all the way through alright.
But isn't Loki Familia too insane? At this point I can't imagine them being defeated even with every other named character in the show put together.
It was also nice to see that Asterius took the time to search Dix's body for loot, but the cute red harpy being in that group made me feel that something was about to go very wrong, no way she's surviving this arc.

As for Hermes, here's our trickster god, ok, but can we get a rest please? This is getting unnerving with every crisis closing into another worse crisis.
I'm not sure what Hestia's scene with the puddle was trying to convey though.

Quote:
and we could see that she had doubts when she just flicked the al-miraj away a couple of episodes ago instead of killing her – it's not like a seasoned adventurer wouldn't know how much damage the bunny monsters could inflict, so her action indicated that she was aware that this whole debacle might be about more than what was immediately obvious

It's just a wee little rabbit, what could it possibly do?

Key wrote:
As for Hermes? There's a lot I'd love to say about him right now, but it would stray into spoiler territory. All I'll say for now to anime-only viewers is to remember what seemed to displease Hermes a couple of episodes back.

No need to say that, it always felt weird that he was helping the guys that were runing his hero raising project. Turns out he really wasn't.
However, now it's time to see whether he wants to remove a nuisance to his plan or he's playing a double swindle to make Bell act like a hero.

Amuro1X wrote:
Also, Tiona is the best Loki Fam girl, don't even @ me, haha. Her moment with Wiene and the Argonaut Danmemo event solidified that for me.

I will @ you because you're right.

Animegomaniac wrote:
But then the wing incident happened and that was where i lost all respect for Ains. Also, she beat Ryu Lion... off screen even... so there's that but how can one being watch another being self mutilate and feel nothing? Say "Wait" Say "Stop" say "No", say something, anything.

... she literally told them to escape and gave them a potion to heal her wounds.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
As for Hermes, here's our trickster god, ok, but can we get a rest please? This is getting unnerving with every crisis closing into another worse crisis.
I'm not sure what Hestia's scene with the puddle was trying to convey though.

Hermes was the one who found the journal and gave it to Ouranos to pass along to Hestia familia. Hestia's scene was her realizing it had been doctored. Hence why Hermes was waiting for the Xenos at the dead end that was supposedly an entrance to Knossos. This was his plan all along.

Yuvelir wrote:
Amuro1X wrote:
Also, Tiona is the best Loki Fam girl, don't even @ me, haha. Her moment with Wiene and the Argonaut Danmemo event solidified that for me.

I will @ you because you're right.

Word.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:38 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
But isn't Loki Familia too insane? At this point I can't imagine them being defeated even with every other named character in the show put together.

Consider that from the first season to the end of this season[3] a total of some 3 1/2 months will have passed- and with Bell reaching levelspoiler[ 4] - It's taken Ais a year to a year an a half to level up to 6.

(Once upon a time there were the overpowered Zeus(had a lv 8) & Hera Familias,till they took a dragon to their knees.)
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:37 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Nope. Leaving out the Zeus and Hera Familias, Freya Familia has as many elites as Loki's in addition to Ottar whos level 7.

Quote:
Hermes was the one who found the journal and gave it to Ouranos to pass along to Hestia familia.

He didn't find it but rather asked Asfi to forge it. The real one is likely with Dix's corpse
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:31 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Loki Familia's elite include 7 Level 6s at this point in the story. Freya Familia has a Level 7, three Level 6s, and four Level 5s (the prums) as their top end at this time. Power-wise, that's about equal. (Two of Freya's L6s have only made the briefest of cameos so far, so it's completely understandable that an anime-only viewer wouldn't know about them.)

These two Familias are the current cream of the crop in Orario; while there are a handful of other Level 5s out there (Tsubaki, Ganesha Familia captain Shakti, Ishtar Familia's Phryne, Ikelos Familia's Dix, and one character who has yet to appear in anime form), I don't think any other active Level 6s exist in Orario - or if they do, they have not been named in any content release in English. (There is a retired Level 6 who has appeared in all seasons of the anime so far, and anime-only viewers shouldn't have to think too hard about who that is.) There is supposed to be another known Level 7 outside of Orario, but that character has never been named that I'm aware of, and there are a couple of other Level 6s who will appear if more Sword Oratoria is ever animated.

Loki Familia pales compared to the heights reached by Zeus and Hera Familias, though. They both had Level 7s, Zeus had a Level 8, and Hera Familia had a Level 9. (These are details only available in the game and novels.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Loki Familia pales compared to the heights reached by Zeus and Hera Familias, though. They both had Level 7s, Zeus had a Level 8, and Hera Familia had a Level 9. (These are details only available in the game and novels.)

Makes you think how ridiculous the Black Dragon has to be to have wiped Zeus and Hera out
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Makes you think how ridiculous the Black Dragon has to be to have wiped Zeus and Hera out

Makes you also wonder about the hero in Ancient Times who was able to take its eye out, doesn't it?

DanMemo has implied that Zeus and Hera Familias might not have been at 100% strength against Black Dragon due to losses taken defeating Behemoth and Leviathan. (One event described the Level 7s who finished both off as only doing so at a cost, and another event referred to even high-level adventurers dying to Behemoth's poison despite Resistance.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13