Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 796
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Yttrbio"]
Quote:

Overall, it feels like the culmination of a story arc we didn't see (Fels) undoing the consequences of the story arc we did see (Bell and Weine). It makes me super skeptical that any negative consequences for Bell are going to be real, and I'm going to be approaching the fallout with a cynical eye, rather than feeling much in the way of tension. I feel like the only time we ever saw Bell have to actually sacrifice something was in the movie, which is either non-canon or just not being treated as part of Bell's worldview. I'll be happy to be surprised, but it's just going to be surprise, not engaging tension, which seems like a real miss for this show.


Best not judge a story based on the abridged version?
Episode 8 is not the end of the Xenos arc.Mind we're near the end of volume 11 already-we're apt to see a bit of vol 12 at this rate- the "fallout" in regards to Bell's actions is long lasting and still continues in the source material.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cam0



Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 4376
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Nah man, I agree with you Yttrbio. The end of last episode left me holding my breath and then it went into... this? The fight with the minotaur dude was cool and all but the end of the last episode left me holding my breath so I was expecting a bang and not a whimper (though I guess the minotaur dude did give us a literal bang).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Melicans



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Posts: 422
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh there are consequences galore going forwards. There are what, four or five episodes to go? I do wonder if they will manage to get to spoiler[Bell's redemption in Orario's eyes] and what they might have to cut to get that far.

I've always felt Wiene and the Xenos is where DanMachi really took off, with everything before almost seeing like a prelude to the real main story in comparison. It's gone well so far, I only hope they finish as strong as they started.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16508
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Best not judge a story based on the abridged version?
Episode 8 is not the end of the Xenos arc.Mind we're near the end of volume 11 already-we're apt to see a bit of vol 12 at this rate- the "fallout" in regards to Bell's actions is long lasting and still continues in the source material.

Normally you're pretty keen on the details, but I'm afraid you're off on this one.

The episode ends just a handful of pages short of finishing volume 10, not 11. What remains after the Bell/Eina scene is a short scene concerning Ikelos's fate (which could well be the prologue for next episode) and spoiler[a scene involving a conversation between Ouranos and Hermes]. That scene is the bonus scene for this week in the DanMemo game, but I will be a little surprised if they skip it entirely in the animation, hence the spoiler tags.

For others, that means that there is a whole volume left to this arc, so it will continue through the end of the season. The impact of what just happened will be immediate and heavy, and the Xenos are definitely NOT in a safe place right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 796
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
Mind we're near the end of volume 11 already-we're apt to see a bit of vol 12 at this rate- the "fallout" in regards to Bell's actions is long lasting and still continues in the source material.

Normally you're pretty keen on the details, but I'm afraid you're off on this one.

The episode ends just a handful of pages short of finishing volume 10, not 11.



To clarify my stance,I just feel given the current pace of the anime,volume 11 could be finished by episode 11.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 769
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
According to Canadian author Ann-Marie MacDonald in her play Good Night, Desdemona (Good Morning, Juliet), the wise fool is the character who has the power to transform tragedies into comedies, and that is what Bell seems to be trying to achieve


Fitting if the Argonaut story in DanMemo is canon

Quote:
It reeks of writing that is cowardly and greedy, like a writer really wanted to add a dramatic moment but didn't want to deal with the consequences of it. The fact that Fels has never succeeded before would be interesting in that character arc, but it's never come up before. We see Fels attempt it once, and it works out totally fine.


Yeah, I can understand that. A lot of LN guys have mixed feelings about it too but to be fair this is the guy who created a philosopher's stone and achieved immortality albeit at a painful cost and now that I know the meta background behind the spell thanks to Rebecca Id say it's not TOO surprising at least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joryn



Joined: 01 Feb 2020
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:41 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Quote:
According to Canadian author Ann-Marie MacDonald in her play Good Night, Desdemona (Good Morning, Juliet), the wise fool is the character who has the power to transform tragedies into comedies, and that is what Bell seems to be trying to achieve


Fitting if the Argonaut story in DanMemo is canon

Quote:
It reeks of writing that is cowardly and greedy, like a writer really wanted to add a dramatic moment but didn't want to deal with the consequences of it. The fact that Fels has never succeeded before would be interesting in that character arc, but it's never come up before. We see Fels attempt it once, and it works out totally fine.


Yeah, I can understand that. A lot of LN guys have mixed feelings about it too but to be fair this is the guy who created a philosopher's stone and achieved immortality albeit at a painful cost and now that I know the meta background behind the spell thanks to Rebecca Id say it's not TOO surprising at least.


There will be consequences to Bell's actions, just not the one you expected at the end of this episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 769
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:57 am Reply with quote
Joryn wrote:
There will be consequences to Bell's actions, just not the one you expected at the end of this episode.


I already know. I have the light novels and I even compare them to the anime here several times
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 847
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
After how predictable, cheap and ultimately pointless Wiene's death was, I'm not going to complain at some Orpheus Ex Machina saving precious snek daughter. The killing move was very much a sucker punch and the perpetrator was comically offed, so personally I would have been more upset if that's how it ended.
In the first place I'm not much a fan of deaths for the sake of one sad scene with no significance to the plot other than preserving status quo.

Arterius was a cool guy, telling nuisances to sit down and not-so-nice-people to die. And looks like I was right the other day about who he was lol That's quite an upgrade since last time we saw him, how did he level up so fast?

Yttrbio wrote:
But... other adventurers DID take her out. That's exactly how it turned out. In terms of just running interference, the monsters were just as capable as Bell was (and in fact, that's how it turned out, with gargoyle dude and company keeping away Weine's killers and the others holding off the Loki familia). Bell essentially slightly moved her death location, and none of the monsters even saw him do it.

Even if he ultimately failed to save her life, he saved her soul and did so at what was probably a huge cost for him. That is enough to thank someone for, I believe, or at least I try to do so.
He also saved them from killing each other off in the labyrinth, so there's that.

Quote:
At this point it's probably good to remember that Hermes is a trickster god, just like Loki. Loki's largely eclipsed Hermes in popular imagination (thanks, Marvel), but that doesn't change the fact that he is the Greek pantheon's version of the archetype.

Honestly, even without Marvel Loki would prevail. Even if Hermes has a few stories under his sandals, Loki is... Loki, and Loki is the worst. From cute tiny pranks like cutting Sif's hair, fooling dwarves so they outdo each other (although from this resulted stuff like Mjólnir, Gungnir or Gullinbursti) or seducing a horse, to tricks so poorly measured that they created the dragon Fafnir or set up like half of Ragnarök; Loki's entire identity is about tricks and pranks to die for, in both senses.
Sure, trickster gods are about playing pranks and they all have the allure of daring to "rebel" against other more powerful gods, but Loki's presence is just so overpowering and so so so many of the elements (and deaths) of the nordic pantheon have an origin in his pranks...
... that was a long and pointless rant Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 1975
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:57 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately I was spoiled on Weine's fate this episode, so it didn't really hit me very hard, though the entire scene was very well done. I wasn't expecting her to be brought back the same episode though.

Interesting to see that (at least based on appearances), Weine was being brought back from the heavens (like everyone else presumably). So perhaps the Xenos don't return to the dungeon when they die. Or at least that's not their first stop Laughing

I wasn't expecting Dix to be taken out so suddenly. Not that he didn't deserve it, I just thought he was going to play a longer part of the story. I guess it's just fallout from here on out then.

Key wrote:
Also, another interesting tidbit for those who don't play the DanMemo game: In the story of Argonaut, the titular character was widely-regarded as a clown and fool. Hence Hermes (who almost certainly knows that) calling Bell a fool carries greater significance. But it's interesting the Hermes isn't happy about that, isn't it? Perhaps this is the first time that Bell hasn't followed the path of the hero that Hermes had laid out?


I'm glad someone brought this up and saved me the trouble Laughing
So now we have three fools in the story. The original foolish hero Argonaut, the sage fool Fels and now Bell.

GhostD wrote:

Fitting if the Argonaut story in DanMemo is canon


I haven't seen anything to suggest it's not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 769
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:42 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
GhostD wrote:

Fitting if the Argonaut story in DanMemo is canon


I haven't seen anything to suggest it's not.


I agree but there are quite a few stubborn people who make the claim that as long as there's no proof that Omori himself confirmed it then they wont accept it as canon. You'd be surprised how many people like that are out there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amuro1X



Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 44
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:25 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Covnam wrote:
GhostD wrote:

Fitting if the Argonaut story in DanMemo is canon


I haven't seen anything to suggest it's not.


I agree but there are quite a few stubborn people who make the claim that as long as there's no proof that Omori himself confirmed it then they wont accept it as canon. You'd be surprised how many people like that are out there.


But Omori wrote the scenario, so imo it's canon. Same with Astrea record, and judging by how he talks about it on Twitter, that's definitely canon, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 769
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Amuro1X wrote:
But Omori wrote the scenario, so imo it's canon. Same with Astrea record, and judging by how he talks about it on Twitter, that's definitely canon, too.


While I do believe its canon as a personal opinion it should be noted that just because Omori wrote it doesn't automatically make it canon. The movie is proof of that. Also, Astrea Records is confirmed to be canon but I digress. This isn't a topic that should be discussed here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JonDoe



Joined: 14 Oct 2019
Posts: 134
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Everyone here is talking about Weine's resurrection but the highlight of the episode for me was that brave little bunny girl who tried taking down Tiona, only to get swatted away like a fly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4113
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Amuro1X wrote:
GhostD wrote:
Covnam wrote:
GhostD wrote:

Fitting if the Argonaut story in DanMemo is canon


I haven't seen anything to suggest it's not.


I agree but there are quite a few stubborn people who make the claim that as long as there's no proof that Omori himself confirmed it then they wont accept it as canon. You'd be surprised how many people like that are out there.


But Omori wrote the scenario, so imo it's canon. Same with Astrea record, and judging by how he talks about it on Twitter, that's definitely canon, too.


indeed. the problem is that he is stuck between a rock and a hard place concerning the source materials and the game. if he declares astrea record and the argonaut arc canon, that's opening himself to a big case of pandora's box!





Quote:
The other adventurers of Orario may see him as a fool for siding with the monsters (and Hermes seems to because Bell does it so openly), but what only Fels seems to understand is that Bell is not a fool but a Fool – and his experiences may in fact be leading him to a kind of wisdom that no one else cares to know.


HUH? isnt that a contradiction??? he cant be BOTH A FOOL AND NOT A FOOL AT THE SAME TIME! that dont make sense AT ALL!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group