• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Higurashi: When They Cry – GOU

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
I feel GOU probably would've gone done better with more people had it not been so heavily marketed as a remake - it's definitely it's own continuation of the original series.

Now that it's over for now, I wonder what exactly was their end-game/goal of marketing it that way? I can understand folks who were already fans tuning in and being "Oh snap, it's not a remake!" come episode 2, but I'm sure there were new people who got turned off of the series at that point(I personally watched until episode 8 or 9 before going back and binging everything else in the franchise). A big middle finger to newcomers, maybe?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:39 am Reply with quote
In addition to the fun and publicity involved in tricking people, it will just be because more new people are going to start watching a remake than are going to go back and start watching an old series because of a sequel release. Even most people who intend to do that won’t actually get around to it. It’s the reason many films and games try to avoid numbered sequel titles for example.

It’s clear from Internet comments that a lot of newcomers did continue watching Gou after the sequel revelation, and I’ve seen a fair number of people arguing it’s fine to start with Gou without knowing the original story. Personally I don’t care about people missing things in Gou due to lack of knowledge of the original — they can always watch it a second time sometime if they want. It was pretty clear from early on that it was going to spoil a bunch of important stuff for people who might want to check out the original later, though, and that seems really unfortunate.

Bringing more people in by hook or by crook might be the better strategic decision if we want more content funded for the franchise, though (e.g. an Umineko anime remake).
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
I loved Gou from a fan and a lore standpoint, but the mystery aspect was very disappointing to me. Fans were suspicious of Satoko almost immediately, and as soon as we knew it was Satoko, the "how" was obvious to anyone who was already familiar with Higurashi. Honestly I prefer a lot of the fan theories that were floating around in the early episodes on how Onidamashi and Watadamashi were probably possible without any intervention at all.

So I suspect that Sotsu will be less like Higurashi Kai and more like Umineko Chiru, where it greatly expands on the meta-verse. Also given that Takano and even Teppei have had the chance to see the error of their ways, I imagine something will happen to redeem Satoko. Maybe she can split from her witch side like Rika did Bernkastel, and help fight against her and Eua?

I also kind of wonder if part of the purpose of Gou was to renew interest in the WTC franchise among anime-only fans. I know I finally bit the bullet and bought Ciconia after the name drops. I will not be surprised at all if after Sotsu we get a new Umineko adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
and everything is fine with the world.

i don't really need answer arcs, we can now safely theorize what happened as the satoko arc confirms a few things.id rather get something like chiru.

if i wanted to paint auau i mean eua ona. more symphatetic light, the end result of this one should be a set of universes where rika can scape hinamisawa, as the bird jail has been broken and satoko did not close it perse, and satoko can lead a hapoy life, without being so dependant on rika.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I thought Gou was a pretty entertaining ride, in no small part due to the fan community that was just living for every new turn, but I do agree that the mystery elements (especially in the earlier arcs) felt a bit flat. I also still think certain decision about how they revealed Gou's ties to the original story could have been much more seamless. I was always really excited to tune in each week, but I don't think Gou will be a show I revisit too much.

That being said, I am still fully on board for the next season as the last arc has easily been the most fun, packed with stuff to talk/theorize about.

rizuchan wrote:
I also kind of wonder if part of the purpose of Gou was to renew interest in the WTC franchise among anime-only fans. I know I finally bit the bullet and bought Ciconia after the name drops. I will not be surprised at all if after Sotsu we get a new Umineko adaptation.

While I think Ryukishi said this was a story he wanted to tell for a while, it wouldn't shock me. I know I've seen quite a few people buying/actually booting up their own copies of the Higurashi/Umineko/Ciconia VNs, checking out the manga adaptations, etc...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Gou got me to rewatch the old Higurashi anime and buy the Umineko manga (have not started the latter) so yeah it worked on me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 23 of 23