• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Higurashi: When They Cry – GOU

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:41 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Hey Keiichi, when aa adult man tells you he intends to marry an 11-year old he was previously unable to adopt, that's when you go find your cop friend.

Seriously, would we honestly have lost anything if Gou had just opted to drop this weird trait? It never plays any kind of role in any of the plot lines, and as a joke this is painfully unfunny. At least for now Gou is keeping it comparatively on the downlow compared to the original, but honestly they should’ve just dropped this stinker and kept walking.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:06 am Reply with quote
I didn’t think I’d be posting in this thread, but eh. People that I know found it humorous enough and while it didn’t have me rolling on the floor, it did leave me smirking a bit, so I’m not sure it’s safe or fair to infer that there isn’t at least a non-minuscule portion of the fanbase for this franchise that would find some level of enjoyment out of Irie’s jokes. I don’t want to make this any less unnecessary than it already is, so ultimately, I thought it was chucklesome and in terms of dialogue used strictly for comedic purposes, dropping it would be a loss of some kind.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote
For me, the difference is that irie is not saying it seriously, it is a joke in universe and most likely caused as some kind of regret/lash out for not being able to legally adopt her.
Not that this series has not done some unapropiate stuff with children, tho, particularly in this arc as the nivel implied satokos uncle sexually abused her.not that we are supossed to laugh at that.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's more clear from the VN than the anime, but Ryukishi07 is definitely making a statement about "the system" in Satoko's arc and not just playing it for horror.

I don't have a credible source, but someone on Reddit said Ryukishi07 was a social worker himself before he wrote Higurashi. Given how accurately he depicts abuse victims, I would believe it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
A quick look led me to find that he did work as a civil servant for a time but the source link is dead now so I can't say for sure what he did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:

This kinda cements my belief that this show really isn't for newcomers.

Meanwhile, I can only expect this to seem frustrating for newcomers and I think it really is the fault of whomever that decided to market as newcomer friendly.

Enh, besides a few clips I saw over a decade ago, Gou has been my intro to the franchise and it hasn't really been confusing/frustrating at all? The beginning/reveal of episode 2 was spoiled widely on social media, but watching that scene, as a newcomer, it makes it very clear that there are multiple universes/times looping over and over for the characters. Whether I'm already supposed to know the nature of whatever karmic hell if going on or not doesn't change the mysteriousness of it for me. I binged 1-9 last week, and then began watching the original series while waiting for 10. It's interesting watching Gou first, and then the original, and -still- being able to pick out the differences in events(It also helps that the original still looks good!). Whether this is the correct method or not, Gou has apparently gotten me into the series, which I didn't ever see happening!

As for episode 10, most of the episode really reminded me of like, the "abuse" episode of TGIF sitcoms, with all the young main characters trying to deal with the heavy subject, while seeming powerless and having to get help from adults. At least up until the last minute or so, where things get REAL. That end scene was very uncomfortable to watch, and I can't say I'm -excited- for the next one, per se, but I'll be watching. The trend of each mini arc definitely seems to be "nightmare fuel begins to creep in at the halfway point".
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:02 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Not that this series has not done some unapropiate stuff with children, tho, particularly in this arc as the nivel implied satokos uncle sexually abused her.not that we are supossed to laugh at that.

You are led to believe this early on spoiler[but it's later confirmed in the VN that he doesn't. It's not really meant to showcase that he has redeeming qualities though, moreso as a very small bit of comfort that Satoko at least doesn't need to go through *that*.]

Also yeah, the VN goes into heavy detail about how ineffectual these services were at protecting victims and keeping them safe, about what would work, but mostly what wouldn't, and it's why everyone is so stressed and at a loss for what to do about Satoko. For the sake of pacing, the anime can't really afford to cover the topic nearly to the same extent, unfortunately.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:51 am Reply with quote
I have only been able to go off of this series, but I kind of feel like they dropped the ball a bit with the panic attack scene. It wasn't the worst but it feels like there could have been ways to make it feel more impactful. Like drop the music entirely, focus on big closeups on her to give the impression of her suddenly being stuck in her head, and make her voice either louder and clearer or start as a small whimper before it feels like it explodes. I know it might sound insensitive, but the scene almost felt a little bit silly in how it played out, where indeed it was out of character, but not entirely in a way that comes across as seriously.

I don't want it either to come across as an attack on the voice actress, but I didn't feel something like a terror that I might have hoped for a scene of a little girl who's spirit is crushed from abuse.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:49 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Thanks, i have not read the vn itself, just selected tips and was very wary about the information given in them regarding satoko and her uncles thought ( You can tell that because i AM not even very willing to write them)
And damn, no matter the many times and different media, that scene still hits hard. It's probable the hardest hitting scene ( nrgatively ) in the whole franchise ( kind of like Tsubasa is the hipest one ).
Well, this episode did not debiste from the original arc, tho i really enjoyed seeing bernkastel, not Rika, being the one who talla yo the teacher, i don't remember that scene working like that from previous adaptations and now that we are halfway they arc three, i wonder if arc four Will be a remake of the time wasting one, which is the one that always gets the short end of the stick, or ir we Will actually get something new, like something that justifies either having the ushiromiya le ir highschool Rika in the op.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the other hand, I do have mixed feelings about the topic's inclusion at all mainly because I have to question the reasoning behind it.
I don't understand this. Why this have to be questioned?
Quote:
Is Higurashi hoping to shine a light on a rarely discussed topic or is it just another part of "look how fucked up this is!" spectacle.
It does shine light on the topic irrespective of what you think about the reasoning behind it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
It might brush it over this season, But it was súper respectful in Kai.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:27 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Zerreth wrote:

This kinda cements my belief that this show really isn't for newcomers.

Meanwhile, I can only expect this to seem frustrating for newcomers and I think it really is the fault of whomever that decided to market as newcomer friendly.

Enh, besides a few clips I saw over a decade ago, Gou has been my intro to the franchise and it hasn't really been confusing/frustrating at all? The beginning/reveal of episode 2 was spoiled widely on social media, but watching that scene, as a newcomer, it makes it very clear that there are multiple universes/times looping over and over for the characters. Whether I'm already supposed to know the nature of whatever karmic hell if going on or not doesn't change the mysteriousness of it for me. I binged 1-9 last week, and then began watching the original series while waiting for 10. It's interesting watching Gou first, and then the original, and -still- being able to pick out the differences in events(It also helps that the original still looks good!). Whether this is the correct method or not, Gou has apparently gotten me into the series, which I didn't ever see happening!

Soooooo it's been almost a week and I've binged the first series and am about 1/3 through Kai. That said, I can now easily take back my earlier comments, and I agree with Zerreth's; Gou is very much something to watch after everything else. Looking back at just those first 9 episodes of Gou I had under my belt, and nothing else, there is a -lot- of context that someone new is going to be missing, wow. I'm really excited to see where this season is going.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:48 pm Reply with quote
personally, i am waiting for the 34 and auau mechanics to change and showna different side, tho i guess that would be mainly for the next arc.for this arc i hope the arc mixing means we wont get the same question answer structure of old as this 9ne already added lots of answer arc elements.
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:08 am Reply with quote
Kind of bizarre how they adapted part of the Minagoroshi arc, which comes well after the question arc's they've been subverting. Considering how that arc is meant to end makes me even more curious as to where they are headed now.
CTM162

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
A quick look led me to find that he did work as a civil servant for a time but the source link is dead now so I can't say for sure what he did.

He most certainly did some work as either a social counselor or in some capacity adjacent to the field, as he talks about it in the VN at least once in the afterword for Minagoroshi (i.e. the answer arc to Satoko's question arc, Tatarigoroshi), in which (to my recollection) he cites his prior occupation as inspiration. He also points out how much more dramatic (and thus unrealistic) he plays things up in his stories, which anyone who's read Minagoroshi should already know what I mean without saying too much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 23