• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Higurashi: When They Cry – GOU

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:18 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Kind of bizarre how they adapted part of the Minagoroshi arc, which comes well after the question arc's they've been subverting. Considering how that arc is meant to end makes me even more curious as to where they are headed now.

yes, there is that whole deal with takano running away.which should affect what you talk about
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Ok, now I'm caught up on everything(besides Kira)...

Episode 12: spoiler[Seems to be almost a complete retelling of parts of Kai episodes 9 and 10. I can't tell for sure what's different, though. I don't recall Ooishi being at the council meeting, and I can't reason why he'd be there at all? It looked like he just came in and sat down. Cheered on Keichi(to himself), but didn't interact with anyone. I know the ending scene between Rika and Keichi was different as well. I hope this arc ends or goes a different route soon; it was probably the most tedious of the original arcs(at least until events started going wild). ]
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My memory of Keiichi's attempt to convince Oryo is much different than what I saw here but I'm not confident enough in my recall to say for sure. I don't remember Keiichi being quite so aggressive; i.e. threatening to murder Oryo to her face.
Keiichi does this same thing in the original too.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The biggest difference here is the unsettling abscence of satko and her uncle; they did not show at all this episode.
Blue Tactician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Ok, now I'm caught up on everything(besides Kira)...

Episode 12: spoiler[Seems to be almost a complete retelling of parts of Kai episodes 9 and 10. I can't tell for sure what's different, though. I don't recall Ooishi being at the council meeting, and I can't reason why he'd be there at all? It looked like he just came in and sat down. Cheered on Keichi(to himself), but didn't interact with anyone. I know the ending scene between Rika and Keichi was different as well. I hope this arc ends or goes a different route soon; it was probably the most tedious of the original arcs(at least until events started going wild). ]

Well, at the end of Kai's chapter spoiler[Takano was revealed to be the mastermind behind everything.] So I expect the shadowed characters from the opening being introduced and the anime ends with a cliffhanger as it's the last episode before the break.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

Likewise. spoiler[For the life of me I can’t remember if he was there, or why he would be, considering how little respect he seems to get from the rest of the village. The only thing I can think of is maybe to do some reconnaissance to see what Maebara and the others are going to ultimately decide. Since the previous miracle relied on the whole village acting as one, I could definitely see Oishi being something like a stubborn domino that halts all the momentum they’ve built up.]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
i think he suspects that someone already took care of teppei, so he is investigating on his own way[/quote]
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Blue Tactician wrote:

Well, at the end of Kai's chapter spoiler[Takano was revealed to be the mastermind behind everything.] So I expect the shadowed characters from the opening being introduced and the anime ends with a cliffhanger as it's the last episode before the break.

Yeah, I agree. spoiler[I've been exploring Umineko, and the silhouette with the red grin in the opening definitely appears to be the witch Featherine, so this whole season could just be her trolling the characters. ]
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

spoiler[Well that was....something? I'm surprised they drew this arc out so long, imitating the original so much(while playing up Ooishi as a villain, who was secretly a good guy?But then wasn't?), only to do the whole iconic arrest/"help me" part off-screen. I thought "Ok, ok, that's fine, we still have 1/3 of the episode left; we're going get some new meta-plot stuff.". Nope, just a bizarre, sloppy ending for this arc. Surprise Uncle, pasta sauce blood -everywhere-, and for some reason Ooishi murdered most of our heroes at the festival. The end. Two whole weeks for the next one, which, according to the name, is going to be a different take on that....short story/standalone episode? Whatever. ]
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Episode 13:

spoiler[Well that was....something? I'm surprised they drew this arc out so long, imitating the original so much(while playing up Ooishi as a villain, who was secretly a good guy?But then wasn't?), only to do the whole iconic arrest/"help me" part off-screen. I thought "Ok, ok, that's fine, we still have 1/3 of the episode left; we're going get some new meta-plot stuff.". Nope, just a bizarre, sloppy ending for this arc. Surprise Uncle, pasta sauce blood -everywhere-, and for some reason Ooishi murdered most of our heroes at the festival. The end. Two whole weeks for the next one, which, according to the name, is going to be a different take on that....short story/standalone episode? Whatever. ]

spoiler[There's no way Teppei was actually there. He's supposed to be in jail, and even if he somehow escaped, him waiting for Keiichi at his house to beat him over the head with a bat is super convenient timing. The only explanation for him being there is that Satoko, the one that brought Keiichi to the house, also brought Teppei there. In other words, she's an accomplice. Which, is possible, but I can't even fathom what the motive would be.]

spoiler[It's way more suspect that Satoko brought him there at all during the festival. Almost as if she was trying to lure him away from there, like she knew that there would be a massacre at the festival and wanted to keep him away from it. What I think is that Satoko beat him over the head once to knock him out, to ensure that he would stay there until whatever happened at the festival blew over, but it didn't knock him out and instead rattled Keiichi enough for him to start having hallucinations about Teppei being the one to hit him. She even says before they arrive that she was planning on giving him something that belonged to her brother, and what else is there besides his bat.]

spoiler[The only weird aspect of this is that according to Rena, Satoko was at the festival when they all died.]

spoiler[I also noticed that there weren't any trace of bruises or abuse on her body at all when she was taking a shower.]

spoiler[Rena's wording is also very vague. She says that Ooishi had his gun drawn, but she doesnt' say that he used it at all.]
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

spoiler[There's no way Teppei was actually there. He's supposed to be in jail, and even if he somehow escaped, him waiting for Keiichi at his house to beat him over the head with a bat is super convenient timing. The only explanation for him being there is that Satoko, the one that brought Keiichi to the house, also brought Teppei there. In other words, she's an accomplice. Which, is possible, but I can't even fathom what the motive would be.]

spoiler[It's way more suspect that Satoko brought him there at all during the festival. Almost as if she was trying to lure him away from there, like she knew that there would be a massacre at the festival and wanted to keep him away from it. What I think is that Satoko beat him over the head once to knock him out, to ensure that he would stay there until whatever happened at the festival blew over, but it didn't knock him out and instead rattled Keiichi enough for him to start having hallucinations about Teppei being the one to hit him. She even says before they arrive that she was planning on giving him something that belonged to her brother, and what else is there besides his bat.]

spoiler[The only weird aspect of this is that according to Rena, Satoko was at the festival when they all died.]

spoiler[I also noticed that there weren't any trace of bruises or abuse on her body at all when she was taking a shower.]

spoiler[Rena's wording is also very vague. She says that Ooishi had his gun drawn, but she doesnt' say that he used it at all.]

spoiler[My initial thought in the moments between Keichi being struck and Teppei being shown was that Satoko was attacking him, in line with your thoughts above. Afterwards, I guess Ooishi may have let him out, while suffering from the syndrome? Either way, now we're going into another new game, so I doubt we're going to have this explained.

All of the arc climaxes in this run so far have been "Keichi is attacked/knocked out, there's a lot of blood, then he wakes up and his friends have been killed off-screen". I'm not sure if this is supposed to be like a running theme or not. ]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
spoiler[

too bad k1 did not show any synthomps at all, that kills the "it was just a typical satoko trap and k1 overreacted" theory
]

now we are getting the nekogiroshi, i remember it showed an important clue but it has been so long i forgot what it was.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:24 am Reply with quote
Part of me wonders if this was meant to recontextualize the spoiler[miracle] of the Answer arc; that it wasn’t spoiler[saving Satoko] but rather spoiler[that everyone came together in solidarity.]

As for the next arc, I’m curious which cat it’s referring to. We’ve had a reference to curious cats previously, but in this case I wonder if it’s a reference to spoiler[Berkenstal’s “cat” typing out “miracle”], which is such a vague description it could refer to just about anything.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Some very odd aspects to this arc compared to Tatarigoroshi and Minagoroshi, especially in relation to Satoko and Teppei.

-In those arcs, we see firsthand several instances of Teppei's awful mistreatment of Satoko. Here, we don't see any of that.

-Adding to that, it's equally curious how, after Chie met with him 3 episodes ago (and who even knows if that happened exactly as we were shown, but I'm inclined to believe it did) , we the viewers haven't so much as seen a trace of the guy, up until he suddenly shows up out of nowhere to beat Keiichi on the back of the head with the bat that Satoko was supposedly planning on giving to him. After Ooishi supposedly went to take him in.

-In Minagoroshi, a big deal was made about how Satoko needed the support and encouragement of her friends in order to find the strength to break way from Teppei's abuse. Here, she just sort of has that realization entirely off-screen and without anyone's help.

-When she's taking a shower, her body is entirely clean of any marks or bruises, basically confirming that, at the very least, he wasn't physically abusing her.

-This is very minor and could just as easily mean nothing, but Satoko's change from her usual casual attire into something totally different was a bit unexpected

The fact that unlike previous arcs we are completely unaware of what's been going on in that house this entire time and no one has interacted with Satoko or her uncle in 3 episodes makes me deeply suspicious.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:58 am Reply with quote
^I also thought the cinematography was suspect. Initially, I thought it might be to help condense what was originally a much longer arc into fewer episodes, but now I think it was that and something of a misdirection. I think this arc was as much about what it didn't show about Satoko and her home life as much as it was about emulating the original. Especially the part where Satoko put on a new outfit; somehow I couldn't shake the impression that this was either her putting on a costume as if for a performance (which was only exacerbated by her cutesy "can you be my new Nii-Nii" speech), or, in the opposite direction, her revealing her actual persona separate from her original incarnation (and likewise, original outfit.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 23