• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the last third being shaky in terms of resolution and what not

But god dang, when the curse version of a wave motion cannon went off, i was ecstatic with the same expression as Yuji afterwards.

Honestly, this show may be a generic shonen in terms of character and story but it's a well done and fun generic shonen.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yeah Gojou exploded the guy limb not the principal.

I gotta say, while this arc was fun it really cement that JJK has really cast off anything resembling a personality to just be another generic shonen. The concept of curse has been completely abandoned, you can just replace curse by "Chi", "Chakra" or "power level" and it would all be the same. And now Gojou is flying in the sky (I half expected him to use dragon ball Tien tri beam attack) so soon everyone will be flying. Techniques are being introduce left and right with little to no care on how they affect the story, like Nanami apparently being the master of back flash but he somehow never bothered using it in his fight against Mahito.

It's still fun, but I kinda feel like this is the anime equivalent of eating a big mac.

Two things:
1. Gojou is referred to as non-standard for a reason. The fact that he is able to do certain things should never be taken into account for other characters, even his fellow special grade sorcerers.

2. Black Flash generally can't just be summoned at will, and even if it could it would be useless against Mahito because he's a bad match for anyone that can't perceive their soul. Several of the strong characters in the series don't use black Flash.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
When will this arc be over? Because I'm totally over this arc since it started.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
kurichan69 wrote:

It's over, the following mini arc will have less characters
kurichan69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
kurichan69 wrote:

It's over, the following mini arc will have less characters

Thanks!
kurichan69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:42 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yeah Gojou exploded the guy limb not the principal.

I gotta say, while this arc was fun it really cement that JJK has really cast off anything resembling a personality to just be another generic shonen. The concept of curse has been completely abandoned, you can just replace curse by "Chi", "Chakra" or "power level" and it would all be the same. And now Gojou is flying in the sky (I half expected him to use dragon ball Tien tri beam attack) so soon everyone will be flying. Techniques are being introduce left and right with little to no care on how they affect the story, like Nanami apparently being the master of back flash but he somehow never bothered using it in his fight against Mahito.

It's still fun, but I kinda feel like this is the anime equivalent of eating a big mac.

THIS.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
In the juju stroll segment, Inumaki responded with Salmon when asked whether he liked cats or dogs. I guess that means he likes both lol.

I assume salmon means agree as he said "salmon salmon" when Panda was telling Nobara to give Yuuji a break. It sounded like he was agreeing with what Panda was saying.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
kurichan69 wrote:

You do know this question is easily answered if you just watch the episode.

The conflict is resolved and the preview for the next episode showcases that the battle is fully over. There done, easy.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
#919730 wrote:
In the juju stroll segment, Inumaki responded with Salmon when asked whether he liked cats or dogs. I guess that means he likes both lol.

I assume salmon means agree as he said "salmon salmon" when Panda was telling Nobara to give Yuuji a break. It sounded like he was agreeing with what Panda was saying.

Akutami has stated that only two words Inumaki uses have meaning: Shake (salmon) = Yes/Positive and okaka (dried bonito flakes) = No/Negative. The rest is gibberish.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Brief as it was, I did get a kick out of Axe Guy vs Axe Principal.

Boogie-Woogie was either a blast or a nightmare for the animators. I honestly can't tell which, but wow.
L0ken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Gojou was already flying in episode 7 and this is one of his specific traits,so youre not gonna see everyone doing it.Nanami was never a guy to specifically master Black Flash,it's said that he just got lucky,we already knew his tecnique is like critical hit and close combat based so no wonder why he experienced BF before.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote
L0ken wrote:
Quote:

Gojou was already flying in episode 7 and this is one of his specific traits,so youre not gonna see everyone doing it.Nanami was never a guy to specifically master Black Flash,it's said that he just got lucky,we already knew his tecnique is like critical hit and close combat based so no wonder why he experienced BF before.

And also, he mentioned his attacks weren't effective against Mahito. I would imagine the concentration/timing for Black Flash would be difficult while also trying to keep Mahito from touching him. Since Yuuji is immune to Idle Transfiguration, it was a better choice to give him back-up while fighting Mahito.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:02 am Reply with quote
Although Jujutsu Kaisen is quickly becoming a generic shonen (I mean seriously, a tournament arc before we really even know the main characters??? Is this 2004?), I admire that the animators have been able to produce high quality frames throughout.

The plot has already lost me, but I am still in it for the animation and visuals.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting much from the baseball game, but it was pretty hysterical. Even the small blurbs about each player was great. Odd that Momo's was translated as Baseball Experience 2L, when it said (unless I misread it) Baseball Experience 2 Little. Unless I don't get what the 2L is supposed to mean, I wonder if there was just an error there.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:13 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Odd that Momo's was translated as Baseball Experience 2L, when it said (unless I misread it) Baseball Experience 2 Little. Unless I don't get what the 2L is supposed to mean, I wonder if there was just an error there.

2リットル is "2 litres", not "2 little". Apparently it's a Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi reference (there it's "8l").

I'm glad that this arc is drawing to an end, I've been getting really bored with it, especially with all the characters that I just don't care for. Really - it's not that I've had a lot of expectations from this show, being the very formulaic shounen action it is, but how about developing your main cast before throwing a dozen more characters into the mix and expecting to care about them and their sad backstories and whatnot.

Also, for all the animator muscle flexing, I've been quite disappointed in the amount of telling-instead-of-showing in the fight scenes. Sure, they're necessary in manga where the images are not moving, but in animation, especially with so much animation flexing, it's quite disappointing to have scenes where a character is explaining what is happening instead of showing it. For example the part where Nobara is getting blasted by the wind her opponent raised - instead of showing her reeling and getting cut by twigs and pebbles, it's just a close-up of her monologizing about wow, what a strong blast it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 16