• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
dandon223 wrote:
Quote:
They were humans, horrifically transformed via dark curse energy, just like what happened to the movie theater bullies.

I did not get the impression that they were humans. They said that they were created from human negative emotions towards natural disasters and in case of Mahito fear and hated towards other people.

Mahito was referring to Jogo, Hanami, and the third Curse of their crew(bobbing in the water) as the ones created from humanity's fear of natural disasters. spoiler[Fear of earthquakes/volcano/maybe fire, forests, and the sea]
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Parts of this episode definitely made me wonder when we're finally going to get to the tournament, but Nanami seems like a pretty great character, so he definitely made up for it.
dandon223

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:07 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
dandon223 wrote:
Quote:
They were humans, horrifically transformed via dark curse energy, just like what happened to the movie theater bullies.

I did not get the impression that they were humans. They said that they were created from human negative emotions towards natural disasters and in case of Mahito fear and hated towards other people.

He's talking about the 2 creatures Yuji and Nanami fight this episode. They originally assumed they were curses, but Nanami realizes they show up on cameras, meaning they're flesh and bone and specifically human flesh. Meaning Mahito transmogrified 2 random humans to create those.

Ok, yeah . I misread. It was really late when I read it. haha
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We haven't even gotten a scene of Yuuji and Panda being Perfect Idiot Bros together yet, and that's a crime that demands retribution.

Oh James, although I will not spoil anything to you regarding future developments of the story, but I do feel obligated to assure you that soon enough, you will get WAY MORE than what you asked for Anime hyper (Until then you will understand what I meant by "more") .

It's interesting, when I read the source manga, I share the exact same thought of James: GET TO THE TOURNAMENT ARC already! But once I finished this arc, I started to realize why this thematically-rich arc is when Jujutsu Kaisen solidified its status as a Shonen Jump "Next-gen".

Quote:
Speaking of being a teacher, Junpei's anti-educator screed was a biting moment, decrying us as people who graduate from school only to immediately return, forcing us into lives as overgrown children that never experience the “real world.” I will have to respectfully disagree!

Please do not feel personally attacked Anime hyper. We are talking about the same mangaka who has specifically telling readers "please do not say things like 'you have big pores' to females around you like Nobara did. It's utterly disrespectful. ' "
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm really torn between hoping Junpei just leave the show ASAP and wanted him to stick around. On one hand if he leave the show soon it'll mean less wasted time but on the other hand it'll mean the show has already wasted a ton of time on an uninteresting boring character. Oh who am I kidding, get this guy out of here now and lets move on please, at this rate this B plot will literally be the longest arc of the first season.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:55 am Reply with quote
I think this most recent episode has been the first time that the action has looked even somewhat janky so far. Parts of the Mahito/Nanami fight looked real weird.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
I honestly think some people here are missing the point in this arc, this is a very important arc for the world of JJK and overall series, it brings great themes to the table, and Jumpei is a very key factor in Yuujis journey.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'm really torn between hoping Junpei just leave the show ASAP and wanted him to stick around. On one hand if he leave the show soon it'll mean less wasted time but on the other hand it'll mean the show has already wasted a ton of time on an uninteresting boring character. Oh who am I kidding, get this guy out of here now and lets move on please, at this rate this B plot will literally be the longest arc of the first season.

I honestly dont know how you can say these things about Jumpei, when him and what surrounds him brings interesting themes to the story.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Oh who am I kidding, get this guy out of here now and lets move on please, at this rate this B plot will literally be the longest arc of the first season.

Sorry, judging from the OP it doesn't look like he's going anywhere. Which is cool with me, since I don't find him boring. The only character that I could do without is Nobara and her shopping addiction.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
#866835 wrote:
I honestly dont know how you can say these things about Jumpei, when him and what surrounds him brings interesting themes to the story.

Well bullying is a very complex topic, even show that focus on it 100% have a hard time grappling with the subject, so JJK has no chance of being able to tackle that one in an interesting way, hence the cartoonish bully that are absolutely not good representation for real bullying. As far as his conversation with Mahito, those are just exposition dumb and could have been handle with just about any character (like say our fish out of the water main character who's currently being taught by not just one but now two teachers), and if that's really all he's supposed to bring they're spending way too much time on his backstory.

Otherwise, what does he bring that worth what's lost? Ultimately every minute spent on him is time not spent on something else. So we're trading development time for some of our other characters (at this point I think Junpei had about as much screen time as everyone except for Gojo and Yuuji) or the organization for "generic bullying scene" and a second "fish out of water" character.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
#866835 wrote:

Well bullying is a very complex topic, even show that focus on it 100% have a hard time grappling with the subject, so JJK has no chance of being able to tackle that one in an interesting way, hence the cartoonish bully that are absolutely not good representation for real bullying. As far as his conversation with Mahito, those are just exposition dumb and could have been handle with just about any character (like say our fish out of the water main character who's currently being taught by not just one but now two teachers), and if that's really all he's supposed to bring they're spending way too much time on his backstory.

Otherwise, what does he bring that worth what's lost? Ultimately every minute spent on him is time not spent on something else. So we're trading development time for some of our other characters (at this point I think Junpei had about as much screen time as everyone except for Gojo and Yuuji) or the organization for "generic bullying scene" and a second "fish out of water" character.

spoiler[It's mostly just to give some emotional impact for his death in an episode or 2.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Actually, it's Nanami who I kind of resent more. The main cast is way more interesting to me so the amount of time he's taking up bugs me. We already have more than enough cool sorcerers to follow, thank you very much.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Ah the benefits of being a manga reader, meaning I can essentially laugh off all complaints about characters taking too much spotlight. Laughing
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Ah the benefits of being a manga reader, meaning I can essentially laugh off all complaints about characters taking too much spotlight. Laughing

Saaaaame. :3

That said, I think anime-only folks are likely experiencing some whiplash as they've just been introduced to all these cool and interesting secondary characters(Tokyo 2nd years, Kyoto gang), and then they're sent back to a month earlier in the story to see what Yuji was doing while "dead". spoiler[There will be less of that once our MCs are reunited, don't worry]

Last edited by Gem-Bug on Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:11 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
#866835 wrote:

First of all, is very narrow minded to think that any story have the obligation to give a full on tesis and essay about topics like bullying when it doesnt needs to. What JJK is doing is using a topic like bullying to complement the true overarching themes of its story; how many stories in media have used topics like slavery, racism, domestic abuse, rapes, and more, but dont go beyond what they present you in certain scenes? but still work very well because these topics arent the central point of their stories, instead they serve as a complement to give context to certain plot points, themes or characters and give variety in these.

A great example would be the recent Joker movie, in that film there is an scene where Arhur was getting bullied and beatean to death by some random not-so-nice-people in a subway for literally no reason, and that same scene is the cathartic moment for Arthur to start his crime career, yet the movie still didn't gives you an essay or total exploration on bullying but instead used it as an scene, complementing and emphatizying how rotten and shit society is, especially to people who are mentally ill like him. That same scene isnt any different from Jumpei scenes of bullying, because again, its just trying to put you in context of the character, his mental state and why he behaves the way he is. And as for what it brings:

Jumpei is the clear representation and example of the fear and hatred humans have for each others that leads a human curse like Mahito to be born. His conversations with Mahito about foundness, indiference and nihilism, wouldnt have the same depth and meaning if it were another character involved (much less Yuuji lol), because literally no other character until now has had to deal with the same shit as him and doesnt have the same apathy and resentment towards others and life itself. Is the perfect lost soul that can enlight the duality between Yuuji as a Jujutsu sorcerer that wants to help people, and Mahito as a curse that wants to harm people. Also is going to be the perfect playground for Yuujis journey about "saving/helping others" to be challenged.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 16