• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:43 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
meiam wrote:
Completely agree, what a waste of time, literally made me stop watching the last few episodes. Just glad its back on track, hopefully they won't introduce anymore "filler" character, what a weird arc.

Okay your misusing the word filler dude. Filler is at its core not important and easily ignorable.

Junpei irrelevant of your feelings towards him is not a “filler character”. He is the link that sets up Yuji & Mahito’s arch-enemy relationship towards each other & forwards Yuji’s own development.

Scene; right after the horror in the movie theatre Ijichi and Yuji go straight to the sewer, there they split up and and, while Ijichi fight off Mahito, Yuji fight off some monster and run across some kid. Yuji and the kid bond and over the next few minutes while Yuji protect him from the monsters. Just as he's about to leave safely, Mahito shows up, transform the kid and Yuji has to kill him. Mahito leave all "Mwhahaha". End scene.

There, 10 minutes top and you get all you needed without wasting 30 mins+ on a character whose just sacrificed.
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
meiam wrote:
Completely agree, what a waste of time, literally made me stop watching the last few episodes. Just glad its back on track, hopefully they won't introduce anymore "filler" character, what a weird arc.

Okay your misusing the word filler dude. Filler is at its core not important and easily ignorable.

Junpei irrelevant of your feelings towards him is not a “filler character”. He is the link that sets up Yuji & Mahito’s arch-enemy relationship towards each other & forwards Yuji’s own development.

Scene; right after the horror in the movie theatre Ijichi and Yuji go straight to the sewer, there they split up and and, while Ijichi fight off Mahito, Yuji fight off some monster and run across some kid. Yuji and the kid bond and over the next few minutes while Yuji protect him from the monsters. Just as he's about to leave safely, Mahito shows up, transform the kid and Yuji has to kill him. Mahito leave all "Mwhahaha". End scene.

There, 10 minutes top and you get all you needed without wasting 30 mins+ on a character whose just sacrificed.

Still doesn't make it filler, and in the new scenario you've created the complaint would be about Yuji getting so emotional about a kid he knew for less than 5 minutes. Oh, and about the series introducing and immediately killing off a character just to elicit a response from the MC.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:36 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Still doesn't make it filler, and in the new scenario you've created the complaint would be about Yuji getting so emotional about a kid he knew for less than 5 minutes. Oh, and about the series introducing and immediately killing off a character just to elicit a response from the MC.

Both of these are pretty much what the show did (replace 5 min by, what, 25 min?), except instead of doing it in half an episode it took 4.
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:58 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

Both of these are pretty much what the show did (replace 5 min by, what, 25 min?), except instead of doing it in half an episode it took 4.

True, but by spacing it out it feels like a less terrible case of 'stuffing in the fridge'. Four episodes may not be a lot on their own but four out of twelve is. I imagine a lot of people were genuinely surprised he died, especially since he appears in the OP.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:37 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
meiam wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

True, but by spacing it out it feels like a less terrible case of 'stuffing in the fridge'. Four episodes may not be a lot on their own but four out of twelve is. I imagine a lot of people were genuinely surprised he died, especially since he appears in the OP.

Pretty much that. I've seen a lot of people assume Junpei would either join the heroes or baddies and was completely blindsided by what actually happens.

Shortening the entire event to a measly 10 minutes would rob the events of the intended emotional impact as well as the look into Mahito's demented brains and would be quite plainly objectively bad writing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't understand the fixation on the upcoming Tournament that a number of people seem to have. That there even is a Tournament arc is so far my only disappointment with this series.

I'm not saying I'll hate it. I'm pretty sure I won't. It could even turn out to be so awesomely extra I'll eat my words, and yay, if that's the case. But I'm really kind of sick to death of tournaments. Leave that to sports anime where it belongs (any sports -- even Dragon Ball is essentially a sports anime, where the sport is fighting and the prize is the Dragon Balls, with a title belt for saving the universe).

I'm here for the onmyouji magic, so just gimme that. And a heaping helping of angst. And more Gojou than I can stand. Damn, I could watch that boy dance on a loop for hours. Laughing
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I honestly don't understand the fixation on the upcoming Tournament that a number of people seem to have. That there even is a Tournament arc is so far my only disappointment with this series.

I share your sentiment about tournament arcs. That’s not to say they’re all bad, some are great—maybe this one will be great—but I mostly find them tedious.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
And more Gojou than I can stand. Damn, I could watch that boy dance on a loop for hours. Laughing

I LOVE his too-cool-for-school dance in the ED. The way he swaggers in and just owns the place. I don’t love the OP song. I mean, I don’t hate it either. However, the visuals are so great I usually watch it. But that ED, man. It’s must-see TV for me. And the song is one of my favorites of the season.

In fact there’s been a ton of music I’ve really enjoyed this season. Too bad we didn’t get a “The List” column on music this season. I guess there was just too much going on to fit it in. Oh well, typical that it gets skipped in the season that I’m most invested in OP/ED music. Shrug Very Happy
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I understand frustration with tournament arcs. I think creators justify them because a tournament is a quick and simple way to introduce the audience to a diverse cast of characters in a confined setting. Many shonen stories include tournament arcs in the beginning because the audience can become attached to a character that they hope to see again later in the story.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
I LOVE his too-cool-for-school dance in the ED. The way he swaggers in and just owns the place.

I know, right? No matter what horrible, depressing things just happened in the episode, that brief little sequence always leaves me with a big grin on my face. Not only is it easy-breezy to look at, it just perfectly encapsulates his whole personality.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I understand frustration with tournament arcs. I think creators justify them because a tournament is a quick and simple way to introduce the audience to a diverse cast of characters in a confined setting. Many shonen stories include tournament arcs in the beginning because the audience can become attached to a character that they hope to see again later in the story.

Pretty much the reason why for arcs like this early on. Introduces a lot of characters and concepts that will be important later on.

And this show is no different, as the Festival it will introduce some characters and concepts that will be greatly important in succeeding arcs.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:08 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Pretty much the reason why for arcs like this early on. Introduces a lot of characters and concepts that will be important later on.

And this show is no different, as the Festival it will introduce some characters and concepts that will be greatly important in succeeding arcs.

Well, yeah, duh. I'm not saying those things don't need doing, and the series has already shown it's eminently capable of introducing characters and concepts without resorting to a tournament. I'm just saying that the tournament trope is a lazy way to do those things if you're not a sports anime where tournaments and competition are the point. And since they've shown they don't need to lean on that device, it's all the more disappointing.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That there even is a Tournament arc is so far my only disappointment with this series.

I'm not saying I'll hate it. I'm pretty sure I won't. It could even turn out to be so awesomely extra I'll eat my words, and yay, if that's the case. But I'm really kind of sick to death of tournaments...

Yeah, completely empathize with this. The only times I've been less than keen on Jujutsu Kaizen are when it starts hinting at the upcoming tournament. It's handled everything else so well that maybe I should extend a bit of trust, here, but it just feels so hackneyed in an artificial and unwelcome way, to me.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
The tournament trope is definitely lazy. In fact, I rolled my eyes when it was first mentioned in the series.

I am confident that the writer could have thought of a different way to introduce the audience to a large cast of characters to get excited about.

My last hope is that the tournament arc subverts expectations in some way and it is not a predictable set of matches.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:37 am Reply with quote
My reaction when they mentioned the word "tournament" was yelling "OH GOD NO" so yeah. I just want Megumi, Nobara and Yuuji to be reunited so they can finally be that trio we see in the opening but never have seen in the show! They worked together like twice, and Nobara got knocked out early both times! She's used her hammer jutsu once! And if this is the standard tournament arc we've seen so, so, so, so many times before they're just gonna fight 1 vs 1 battles so we won't even see them fighting together!
I wanna see them doing some good ol' shounen manga teamwork! I want to see what makes Megumi so cool that Sukuna has made fighting him his goal!
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Funniest part of episode 14 has to be Gojo suggesting to Yuji that his reunion will solve global warming (COOL! ) and Yuji just vibing with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 16