• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: I'm Standing on 1,000,000 Lives.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:18 am Reply with quote
This show has grown on me to the point where I look forward to it way more than the prestigious big-budget spectacle anime of the season. I like that these awkward teenagers feel like awkward teenagers. I like that the girls don't easily fall into generic waifu tropes. I also like that they aren't all fawning over the male lead, in fact they seem to all find him kind of weird. I like that I have no idea what the heck this show is going to throw at us next. It is a pity the show looks like butt, but that's kind of charming in its own way too.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:03 pm Reply with quote
The show is pretty alright so far.

It kind of tows a line between mediocrity and inventive ideas and themes that could really shine with much better writing. Particularly with regards to the characters and dialogue.

That said, I'm still entertained and intrigued to see where it's going.

The production leaves a lot to be desired, but I've got a feeling that if this show gains popularity then subsequent seasons will raise their budget accordingly.

I feel it should drop the more slapstick comedic parts and go with something more akin to Grimgar of Fantasy & Ash in terms of character interactions and relationships.

There's certainly something here and I like the darker implications of the world that it explores, but it seems thematically inconsistent and doesn't quite balance everything well, but still remains interesting enough thanks to the fact that the story and what might happen next is pretty unpredictable.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:31 am Reply with quote
It was interesting to see the darker side of Yotsuya, although I'm not entirely sure the plan worked. As I understood it, they needed them to send a message that Cortonel wasn't involved, and "I can't face the King now!" and the lack of sending any message birds off make me wonder what message they will send. Somehow, "we were attacked by hordes of Cortonel soldiers" sounds like a better excuse than "The heroes we told you we were trapping went nuts." Also, since they drove off the wagon that was presumably carrying the bird cages, can they even send a message?

Can't believe they threw in not one, but two versions of the Trolley Problem. I'm really getting sick of that.

I was watching Adult Swim last night and realized that half-faced wheel of fortune guy talks like the cc on my tv, with how he drops off the ends of words. Smile
Seagloom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Right now the series feels more like it is approaching a halfway point than going into the last quarter.

The pacing continues to worry me. This episode was like 60% filler. All of Yuka's scheming to get a confession out of Kahvel was anime original. As a source reader this was disappointing because the tail end of this arc was when I felt the story really hit its stride by deviating further from typical isekai. The last few episodes have shown glimpses of that, but instead of building on it they are breaking it up with rote comedy to presumably run down the clock. I assume they want to avoid introducing the next hero.

If they *do* go anime original for the finale, I hope they at least incorporate the epilogue to this arc somehow. Since right now all signs are pointing to this show being a one and done like Wave, Listen to Me!.

I did enjoy how they handled Kahvel's first scene, however. Between her VA's performance and the music, it was easier to overlook that janky animation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
All of Yuka's scheming to get a confession out of Kahvel was anime original.

Well not very original. Yuka is damn close to ruining this whole series for me. Has she done even one useful or likeable thing yet? If so, everything else she's done has obliterated it in my mind.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I am a bit curious as to what kind of “somewhat unique climate” the land around Randobardo has where blizzards can just pop up like that

Your midwestern is showing. Smile People get caught in late summer blizzards all the time in the Cascades and the Sierras (and I'm sure the Rockies too, though I don't hear much about those). Altitude can change the weather dramatically.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:57 pm Reply with quote
^
You're probably right. Since there are no terrain features in the region which can dramatically influence weather, big surprises are very rare. (The Great Lakes can increase snowfall for those on the east side of them, but even that's easily predictable.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JonDoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
For a show that has some pretty low tier production values I was impressed by how far they were willing to go just to dupe us into thinking we were watching the wrong show. Because they definitely fooled me.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12

Hmmmm. Quite a lot to mentally chew on for this. But first...

Is the Game Master, who has genuine power of life or death over the people snared into this, a spoiler[twelve year old kid]? Who is just curious to see what people do in life or death situations? And she can just appear in a players house, whenever somebody doesn't answer an email. And magic works in our world, at least in one Chinese restaurant. Smile

At least, that's what it and her look like on the surface. If she is the product of an advanced or future civilized civilization, something is really screwed up somewhere. The boundaries of the story have taken a big jump. I think I'm still on board for it, and the post-end credits stuff promise a second season with new people and places, so maybe things will become clearer, but this is an awful lot.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, that certainly ended in a strong way, and I'm in for more!

Hopefully next season gets better production values.

From what I take from the killing thing, it seems simple that the game master is preparing them for some thing in the future and harder challenges where they will naturally have to weigh other lives in the balance and make hard choices.

Obviously there's the penalty in the 'game' where you are docked for killing humans, so you are encouraged not to kill. But in matters of war and desperation, this is a hurdle that any 'soldier' will have to overcome, because at times there will be human vs human confrontation and not everything can be solved peacefully.

June's awhile away, but I look forward to more.
andramus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:32 am Reply with quote
It looks like the season 2 talkback thread got switched with the season 1 thread. I posted a comment in the original thread linked to the season 2 premiere review and now it's disappeared.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote
You sure that was a talkback thread an not a user create episode reviewing thread? Generally reviews always resume on the original series thread unless there has been a large break (like more than 2 years).
andramus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:54 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
You sure that was a talkback thread an not a user create episode reviewing thread? Generally reviews always resume on the original series thread unless there has been a large break (like more than 2 years).

I just clicked "discuss this in the forum" at the bottom of the season 2 premiere review when it first popped up. Clicking the link took me to an empty thread where I posted my comment which has apparently now been orphaned.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
^
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there. Since the episodes for the second part are being listed under the same heading as the first part, any responses to the reviews should feed into this thread.

Feel free to repost here what you said in the separate thread, as I'm going to eliminate that for redundancy's sake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
andramus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I just said I'm glad season 2 is getting reviewed because I'm actually enjoying the show for the story. The animation not so much. It's passable but nothing special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4