• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: I'm Standing on 1,000,000 Lives.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My favorite detail has got to be the 'Vaikedaam', a pair of ritual dancers named Aoiu and Yana who are very clearly based on Aoi Yūki and Ayane Taketatsu from their days together as petit milady, with the anime bringing in the actual voice actresses to play them!

Episode 3's seiyuu for the Game Master is Naruto's, and if you didn't recognize her, they helpfully ended the preview with "Dattebayo!" Very Happy

The thing that drove me nuts about the new weapon was how long they kept standing around chatting before reloading for the next shot. If there's more than one orc stomping around, I'd be redrawing that crossbow the second I got off my first shot. Also the cart didn't seem very conducive to maneuverability and aiming. The idea behind the whole thing was great, but the execution was very frustrating to see.

RIP Ryce. We barely knew ye. Sad
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:58 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Gina Szanboti"]
Quote:
RIP Ryce. We barely knew ye. Sad

What interests me is how much he features in the OP for having 1 episode of barely talking and another episode of giving out all his tragic past and then dieing.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I here to say that "I know that Terminator Reference" from the recent episode.

It was so random and intentionally eye-rolling that I lol'd.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
@reviewer I found the episode quite effective myself. When taking a step back the orcs are merely a tribal species that happen to eat humans. Certainly humans want to defend themselves and are being backed into a corner but the show does an effective job of showing that this was a planned bomb of a conflict. Designed to wipe out the humans of the island, presumably so they couldnt perform the buffo sacrifice.

So I didn't find the desire for the orc mother to protect her kin contrived. Instead I found it tragic. Another hideous dark fact of human survival is our need to destroy other competitors that might threaten us. This is just an extrapolation of that, made simpler for young teens. But driven home very effectively with the orc father protecting his young to the last. I will admit to shedding a tear over his loyalty and feeling revulsion over the stabbing of the child.

It was all an effective tale of the darkness of survival between competing sentient beings. Something that could throw the manipulations of the mage near the dragon into contrast. Do you think that is the mage who was researching how to kill heroes? That would be an interesting co-incidence if he could predict where their quest was.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:35 pm Reply with quote
At this point I'm wondering where the remaining buffo roam, i.e. can they even complete their mission now? The whole island seems to be engulfed in lava, except for the orc castle and a bit of soon to be lava land by the shore. Is there a pasture for them up there or something?

(am I the only one who keeps thinking of Far Side's "thagomizer" every Thanzamer (RIP?) is around?)
Coelodonta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My favorite detail has got to be the 'Vaikedaam', a pair of ritual dancers named Aoiu and Yana who are very clearly based on Aoi Yūki and Ayane Taketatsu from their days together as petit milady, with the anime bringing in the actual voice actresses to play them!

Interestingly, "väike daam" seems to mean "petit lady" in Estonian.
(I wonder why they chose precisely Estonian? Maybe they tried different languages and thought this looked most cool)
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:52 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of the little joke of Yuna doing a THumbs Up and saying "i'll be back" right before drowning in Lava.

I do love a good gag.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
I'm a big fan of the little joke of Yuna doing a THumbs Up and saying "i'll be back" right before drowning in Lava.

I do love a good gag.

You and me, both. I did laugh out loud at that Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She's also surprisingly casual about her sexuality as a lesbian, which would be a more appreciable detail if it didn't also encompass her remarking how eager she was to see a young girl grow up so she could try to score with her.

Because gay people recruiting kids or just being equated with outright pedophiles is a well-worn anti-gay propaganda trope, to me that felt like the writers trying to assure viewers that just because she's a lesbian, she wouldn't be preying on children. That is, I think they were trying to be progressive. It landed with a thud for me, but anime seems to think that as long as you're willing to wait until they grow up, it's fine to find kids attractive (see all those wife-raising series).
#softcritter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Because gay people recruiting kids or just being equated with outright pedophiles is a well-worn anti-gay propaganda trope, to me that felt like the writers trying to assure viewers that just because she's a lesbian, she wouldn't be preying on children. That is, I think they were trying to be progressive. It landed with a thud for me, but anime seems to think that as long as you're willing to wait until they grow up, it's fine to find kids attractive (see all those wife-raising series).

It's sad, she's not like this at all in the manga. The anime's also going different route from the manga so the writing could go downhill anytime now.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:17 am Reply with quote
I find the sometimes clumsy, awkward, fumbling nature of the production and storytelling a pretty solid reflection of the characters, trying to make their way through some unfair bullshit with all the grace and confidence of a bunch of high schoolers.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:33 am Reply with quote
#softcritter wrote:
It's sad, she's not like this at all in the manga. The anime's also going different route from the manga so the writing could go downhill anytime now.

I dont want spoilers of upcoming content but how is it differing from the source material currently?
JonDoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
She's also surprisingly casual about her sexuality as a lesbian, which would be a more appreciable detail if it didn't also encompass her remarking how eager she was to see a young girl grow up so she could try to score with her.

I highly doubt the show was trying to be progressive with that. I'm pretty sure the reason the writers had her hitting on the girls was because they thought it was funny or sexy, except it just comes off as icky and immoral. And according to #softcritter above she isn't anything like that in the manga. So her preying on underage kids is something the anime writers are solely responsible for.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I think they were just trying to find a way to quickly reveal Glen's sexuality to characters, and the only way they could think to do it was to was to have her say the picture of one woman was her type, and that a little girl would be her type when she is older. It was clumsy, and fell into that side of whether a straight person would act that way, but it was trying, and much better than making her come across as a predatory lesbian as a defining trait.

At the very least Glen was not used as just an excuse for fetishization, at least so far, and confirming is better than keeping things vague. Who knows, maybe this will be a continued trend of normalization within this genre demographic. Balance out what Redo of Healer did.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
I'm pretty sure the reason the writers had her hitting on the girls ... So her preying on underage kids is something the anime writers are solely responsible for.

Except neither of those things happened. She explicitly said she wasn't going to hit on underage kids, as if she expected to be accused of it anyway. Which is a realistic expectation.

The context was that she was asked if she didn't like children, to which she replied that she did. Then to clarify (because when it later came out she was a lesbian, Kusue might remember her saying she liked children and think that she meant she liked them sexually), she says Jezby is cute, but not the right age to be of any interest to her. Even when she mentioned her being 18, it was just in the context of clarifying that she doesn't hit on kids, isn't interested in hitting on kids, and only that once Jezby wasn't a kid, she might "possibly" be interested then. I think even the reviewer overstated what she was saying there. It wasn't even "ooh, baby, can't wait till you're legal so i can hit on you," but rather, "sure she's a cute kid, but she'll probably be cuter when she grows up."

Straight people are allowed to comment on how cute kids are (ooh, they're gonna be such a heartbreaker!) all the time, without anyone giving them the side-eye, or attributing secret lustful thoughts to them. LGBTQ people don't get that automatic benefit of the doubt, but rather the opposite. I mean, can you imagine the torches and pitchforks that would be brought out if LGBTQ people organized beauty pageants for children like straight people do?

Though it was handled a bit clumsily, it seemed to me like she was just trying to head off future misunderstandings while refusing to stay in the closet to make the straight people around her more comfortable. I.e., she was trying to kill two birds with one stone (coming out, while assuring Kusue she wasn't a predator). Of course she kind of shot herself in the foot by wrapping up with teasing Kusue, who is also too young for her preferences. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4