• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:34 am Reply with quote
So far episodes 2 and 3 have been "Narration: the Inuyasha girls". Things happens because! and Kaede or Moroha drops a ton of exposition in order to fill the gaps. It feels like Boruto, but without even a monthly comic to give it some foundations.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:35 am Reply with quote
They're never going to addresses whether Rin is the mother or not, that way people who want to think Sess fucked a little girl can do so and people who'd rather not can also do so. At most they'll reveal it's some kind of weird magic thing (like Sess and Rin where magically combined to make the two kid, no sex involved).

But yeah, it's not off to an amazing start, imagine if this was a new series entirely (and the show started at episode 2) I doubt it would even have been picked up for review and would already be forgotten. I don't know why they decided to introduce everyone at once, imagine if the first 2 episodes of Inuyasha had introduce all 4 main character along with the jewel and most of the supporting cast. Instead they could have made the end of episode 1 the first meeting between all 3 characters and then spend one episode on each character up the meeting point, so that they could properly introduce everyone.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
youarenotanorc wrote:
Post removed

While it's ignorant to assume that every tomboy character must be lgbt+ in some way. The idea that there is no demand for lgbt+ representation by Japanese people is just wrong. There is a very vocal and active lgbt+ rights movement in Japan. And lgbt+ characters appear in lots of anime.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
But yeah, it's not off to an amazing start, imagine if this was a new series entirely (and the show started at episode 2) I doubt it would even have been picked up for review and would already be forgotten.

I think you're way, way underestimating this title. It would have easily made the cut even if it wasn't a sequel, as it has the kind of supernatural action that usually fares well in our viewer polls. It just might not have been one of the top vote-getters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
youarenotanorc Just the fact that YashaHime is a shonen action anime with three female main characters is pretty revolutionary.

As for LGBT characters in mainstream anime, Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura had Queer characters in the ‘90s. It’s not a “western” specific or new idea.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
meiam wrote:
But yeah, it's not off to an amazing start, imagine if this was a new series entirely (and the show started at episode 2) I doubt it would even have been picked up for review and would already be forgotten.

I think you're way, way underestimating this title. It would have easily made the cut even if it wasn't a sequel, as it has the kind of supernatural action that usually fares well in our viewer polls. It just might not have been one of the top vote-getters.

Maybe but neither King's Raid nor last crusade or Dragon quest were picked up, so there might be a bit of fatigue of action fantasy since there's significant overlap with isekai.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
youarenotanorc Just the fact that YashaHime is a shonen action anime with three female main characters is pretty revolutionary.

As for LGBT characters in mainstream anime, Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura had Queer characters in the ‘90s. It’s not a “western” specific or new idea.

I stand for more shonen with female casts that don't have them as just the girl member of the group. Which I suspect has been changing.

The arguments against LGBT stuff appearing in anime I think is silly when looked at something like Stars Align, where it just kind of seems like there is just a step of a lack of awareness on certain topics with a slightly different culture which is not out of question of being bridged.

I am not going to assume Towa is anything yet, but I certainly liked what I saw already of them being comfortable in a more masculine presentation, and not answering the expected way in being told that she supposedly wants to appear more femininely and should do so to be less of an outcast. All for an an outcast to the system.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:00 am Reply with quote
And also, Towa is another "character dressed as a butler" that Rumiko Takahashi likes so much to draw. In fact, bar Moroha -to some extent-, main characters' designs are not specially innovative...
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I am not going to assume Towa is anything yet, but I certainly liked what I saw already of them being comfortable in a more masculine presentation, and not answering the expected way in being told that she supposedly wants to appear more femininely and should do so to be less of an outcast. All for an an outcast to the system.

I figure she's just like Tsugumi from Nisekoi; warrior tomboy with a masculine personality and dress sense, but actually has an extremely feminine side she keeps hidden.

Hell, if you look closely at her closet in the first episode, you'll see Towa actually has a number of dresses and purses stashed in there.

Her feminine side is literally in the closet.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:35 am Reply with quote
I would not mind if Towa also has a feminine side, as long as the more masculine side is not considered fake or lesser. It is probably my own selfish wish that they stay generally androgynous. To be fair the other girls also clearly wanted to be strong but don't dress so masculinity.

I am not really a fan of Tsugumi's character, or Nisekoi in general. If I remember right, it kind of felt like the narrative wanted to force her to be girly. For some reason I have Nozaki-kun's Kashima in my head, who might even wear a skirt for uniform, but is such a great androgynous dumbass which it never feels like the story is trying to trick her into looking more feminine.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:14 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The arguments against LGBT stuff appearing in anime I think is silly when looked at something like Stars Align, where it just kind of seems like there is just a step of a lack of awareness on certain topics with a slightly different culture which is not out of question of being bridged.

Are you referring to the show that underperformed so much in Japan that it halted production midway through and the director ended up begging western fans to save the show because there was such disinterest in it on the Japanese side? That is perhaps not the best example to use.

I'll say what I say when this topic always pops up: people expecting common anime tropes to "say something meaningful" should be used to being disappointed more often than not given the track record. This is going to be another Kino's Journey or Fate situation where certain fans will die on the hill of their head canon no matter what the source material ends up saying and just be a sore spot in the fandom for all future interactions in said fandom for them. I mean, if people are concerned over Rin being Towa's mother, then it seems like some degree of cognitive dissonance in what the show's values are going to be. Takahashi is the creator of Ranma ½ , after all.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I would not mind if Towa also has a feminine side, as long as the more masculine side is not considered fake or lesser. It is probably my own selfish wish that they stay generally androgynous. To be fair the other girls also clearly wanted to be strong but don't dress so masculinity.

I am not really a fan of Tsugumi's character, or Nisekoi in general. If I remember right, it kind of felt like the narrative wanted to force her to be girly. For some reason I have Nozaki-kun's Kashima in my head, who might even wear a skirt for uniform, but is such a great androgynous dumbass which it never feels like the story is trying to trick her into looking more feminine.

I don't think your being selfish. I'm a butch bi girl and I would love to see more masculine presenting women in anime.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:40 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[

Well there's that mystery solved, Rin's in stasis and wearing a traditional birthing robe. Preview from the official twitter.]
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:40 am Reply with quote
@Roadwarior2

Yes, looks like the mystery is partly resolved.

It really looks like her. Japanese twitter is going crazy with the prospective of her finally appearing. Like Christmas is early this year Very Happy

About Tsugumi from Nisekoi, from what I remember she ended up becoming spoiler[Chitoge's fashion model using long dresses].

According to the official Yashahime site (hanyo-yashahime.com/character/01), the reason Towa use men's clothing is simply because is easy to fight in those clothes.

So there are no deep meaning about the way she dresses, is simply a question of practicability for someone that gets in allot of fights.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:51 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
According to the official Yashahime site (hanyo-yashahime.com/character/01), the reason Towa use men's clothing is simply because is easy to fight in those clothes.

So there are no deep meaning about the way she dresses, is simply a question of practicability for someone that gets in allot of fights.

This makes total sense; it's similar logic to why Mikoto Misaka from Raildex always wears shorts under her skirt.

(Frankly, I always wondered about the wisdom of Kagome gallivanting around in the feudal era wearing a miniskirt, given the hairy situations she regularly got into. Sango's clothing always seemed much more practical.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 29