• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
If you are not a fan of Inu Yasha's characters, then Yashahime could probably be enjoyed as it's own entity. Inu Yasha's characters are merely backdrop.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If you are not a fan of Inu Yasha's characters, then Yashahime could probably be enjoyed as it's own entity. Inu Yasha's characters are merely backdrop.

Without Inuyasha, Yashahime has enough fundamental problems with its pacing, characterization, animation, and composition that I would be surprised if anyone enjoyed it as its own entity and not as "the sequel to a thing I've invested too much in to hate"
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

JoelBurger wrote:
Without Inuyasha, Yashahime has enough fundamental problems with its pacing, characterization, animation, and composition that I would be surprised if anyone enjoyed it as its own entity and not as "the sequel to a thing I've invested too much in to hate"

Even before I dropped the show (sometime in the first cour) there were plenty of references to stuff from Inuyasha that just made no sense to me as someone who never watched Inuyasha. But aside from that what really bothered me in that first cour was the lack of any interest from any character about the whereabouts of kagome or Inuyasha. Again, I never watched the first series, so I have no attachment to these characters but it just feels like someone should have cared considering the circumstances going on. Ultimately I'm just one person, but no; I don't think this show was as accessible to completely new viewers as some might think or even hope. As @Joelburger and many others in this forum have said: the problems here go beyond just wanting to see your favourite character again.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
RR529 wrote:

Somehow the show does have it's fans though, I've been following a YouTuber known as AxelBeats since the show started & his episode reviews tend to be much more favorable than the ANN reviews (almost like he's watching a completely different show). His episode 24 review has over 1,000 comments, almost uniformly positive about the episode/show, or at the very least truly invested in Towa & Setsuna (moreso than Moroha) as characters. Probably big SessRin fans I guess?

Probably a younger audience too. When we're kids we tend to be much more willing to overlook a show's flaws. ANN skews older so we're a bit more picky and judgy, old man yelling at cloud-types.

While I would've preferred Yashahime just put itself out of its misery, watching this dumpster fire rage on has also been rather amusing. Bring on season 2!
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:26 pm Reply with quote
@ThrowMeOut Most of the positive reactions, I see for Yashahime come from people who grew up with Inuyasha. Which on the flip side, the harshest criticism also comes from that same group. For me, the older I get, the more forgiving I am of an anime's flaws. So as a spin off/ sequel, I really liked Yashahime. To the point where I think I'd like it less, if I wasn't already an Inuyasha fan.

Like no lie before the first episode, I marathoned Inuyasha final act within like a week (I don't recommend this as it's the endpoint of the series). So the first episode felt like episode 27 and the rest of the show felt like final act just with different characters. Like at it's heart both are somewhat goofy adventure shonen during the feudal era.

For me, Yashahime's biggest weakness is that it's written and animated the same way shonen were in the late 00's. So it feels like the original staff didn't really learn anything over the course of ten years. I hope they listen to feedback and get some new people on staff. But to be honest, I don't think that will happen because Yashahime got killer viewer numbers and most likely make a ton of money from merchandise. So the staff will probably not change up the story they have already planned. Though for me, that's fine as I like the current direction it's going. [/b]
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
@ThrowMeOut Most of the positive reactions, I see for Yashahime come from people who grew up with Inuyasha. Which on the flip side, the harshest criticism also comes from that same group. For me, the older I get, the more forgiving I am of an anime's flaws. So as a spin off/ sequel, I really liked Yashahime. To the point where I think I'd like it less, if I wasn't already an Inuyasha fan.

Like no lie before the first episode, I marathoned Inuyasha final act within like a week (I don't recommend this as it's the endpoint of the series). So the first episode felt like episode 27 and the rest of the show felt like final act just with different characters. Like at it's heart both are somewhat goofy adventure shonen during the feudal era.

For me, Yashahime's biggest weakness is that it's written and animated the same way shonen were in the late 00's. So it feels like the original staff didn't really learn anything over the course of ten years. I hope they listen to feedback and get some new people on staff. But to be honest, I don't think that will happen because Yashahime got killer viewer numbers and most likely make a ton of money from merchandise. So the staff will probably not change up the story they have already planned. Though for me, that's fine as I like the current direction it's going. [/b]

I agree with this assessment. It tries a bit too hard at emulating Inuyasha, which personally I don't have much of a problem with. I did like Yashahime tbh, tho I'd have prolly enjoyed it better had I known it would have an extension, because it felt too cramped and incomplete for a mere 24 episode run and that curse kinda loomed a bit too much on the series in the sense that it wasn't progressing in a proper manner, yet having a tiltin clock all over it.

There are callbacks I appreciate like the thing with Konton (which is a callback to Shippo and his parent with the Thunder Brothers, btw I hope we see Shippo back in second season), or Totetsu being Wind Tunnel, or new moon being an issue every so often, or the stupid sickness justification for school gag. Heck even Zero is a callback to Naraku in nearly any capacity: schemer, loves to spread misery, is behind the entire ordeal and is spider themed (her rod and powers are).

Like the heart and soul are in there, but it is being eaten away by a bunch of small shit in different fronts that ends up piling up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 29 of 29