• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The name thing seems used by show in that time slot. MHA uses them too. It's probably something mandatory for the timeslot. Just learn to deal with them. It aint hard.

They removed them for the BD version of MHA.
Willo567

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree that their time in the modern era was rushed, but I feel as though the reviewer is conflicted if they want the show to take time to develop the girls, or wants the show to IMMEDIATELY answer where the old cast is, when that's the main hook of the show.

Also, I believe the pacing issue may have to do with Yashahime being a 24 episode series; I don't think Sunrise is planning on doing another season of it.

Last edited by Willo567 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Finally, does anybody want to take bets on how long Yashahime is going to keep using those annoying pop-ins to remind us of every character's name and relationship? It can't keep up for the entire series…right?
I don't see why not. This is what I remember the original series doing, so I'd expect them to keep it, if only for nostalgia purposes.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Quote:
Finally, does anybody want to take bets on how long Yashahime is going to keep using those annoying pop-ins to remind us of every character's name and relationship? It can't keep up for the entire series…right?
I don't see why not. This is what I remember the original series doing, so I'd expect them to keep it, if only for nostalgia purposes.

Right. And I agree with GoldCrusader, this series is, like the original, being broadcast during a normal person timeslot of 5:30 pm, lead in to Detective Conan, so certain decisions gets made when you can't necessarily assume that all the viewers saw last week episode. More recap, and all sorts of other things for people who are thinking and saying, "Wait, what's going on? Who's that guy?"
Uchay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

(Frankly, I always wondered about the wisdom of Kagome gallivanting around in the feudal era wearing a miniskirt, given the hairy situations she regularly got into. Sango's clothing always seemed much more practical.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, because it's been a while, but not only she was traipsing in feudal era while fighting literal demons in a miniskirt, but said outfit was also her school uniform Laughing I have to wonder how many sets of that school uniform she had.

I always wondered if she couldn't get clothing like Kikyo's or Sango's to have her adventures, cause that had to be less eye-catching and more comfortable for that, but hey, anime logic.

Tbh, I wish Moroha was the protagonist instead of Towa, because I honestly couldn't care less about Seshy's spawn. She can carry an episode with her charisma. I know the three of them are the protagonists but I'm damn sure the focus will be more shifted onto Towa, and I can't find myself to care about Towa's objectives and her personality is...I fight a lot and I want to be a good big sister? I don't know.
Setsuna is basically female Seshy, and I honestly hate Seshy's guts from the original, but even if I hadn't seen the original I'd find her very boring. I know, they might develop as the series goes on, but it's not doing a good job of keeping me interested based on characters alone.

Normally, I would have dropped this anime already, but I'm still curious about what happened to the main cast, so I'll stick around, but uh, the original's first four episodes did a better job of endearing me to the characters and their woes.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
According to the official Yashahime site (hanyo-yashahime.com/character/01), the reason Towa use men's clothing is simply because is easy to fight in those clothes.

So there are no deep meaning about the way she dresses, is simply a question of practicability for someone that gets in allot of fights.

This makes total sense; it's similar logic to why Mikoto Misaka from Raildex always wears shorts under her skirt.

(Frankly, I always wondered about the wisdom of Kagome gallivanting around in the feudal era wearing a miniskirt, given the hairy situations she regularly got into. Sango's clothing always seemed much more practical.)

Towa does says so on chapter 2, "I only use these clothes because it's easier to fight" or something like that, didn't know there was some discussion regarding that.

Now, my dear Lord... Kagome's skirt, always hated that crap, I remember how Takahashi asked the Anime team to please not to show her panties.

Now, outside the funny part of Ranma 1/2's creator asking for something like that, it led to real weird scenes like Kagome being head down and other action scenes with her skirt inamovible, my friends and I used to call it the "Steel Skirt".

Maybe you could simply give her some pants.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Moroha is absolutely carrying this show for me.

In general though, I feel as if people have forgotten how slow Inuyasha was. I know everyone's nostalgic for adventures with the full cast but I'd like to remind everyone that Sango doesn't appear until right at the end of the first season.

Overall, I'd have to agree that the pacing is a little weird because we don't have reference work to see its progress along with being slated for 24 episodes without any idea if they would extend it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Amazing out of 9 billion people on the planet, Moroha happens to find her Mom's family.

Demons must be even more amazing and intelligent from birth, that they can raise themselves, without becoming feral children.

So, Moroha raised herself from infancy, and doesn't even know who her parents are. Her parents are going to be complete strangers to her. Kagome obviously missed out on raising her own daughter. So there really is no mother-daughter bond between them, other than the fact they are related by blood. Something tells me that this show is going to completely gloss over this. This is a tragedy, especially for Kagome.

A bloody price must be paid for this tragedy, And Kagome's hands must have that blood on them, while holding the spines of the evil perpetrators.
TheWolfhart

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Amazing out of 9 billion people on the planet, Moroha happens to find her Mom's family.

Shocking, since most families do have a time-portal in their backyards.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:

In general though, I feel as if people have forgotten how slow Inuyasha was. I know everyone's nostalgic for adventures with the full cast but I'd like to remind everyone that Sango doesn't appear until right at the end of the first season.

Overall, I'd have to agree that the pacing is a little weird because we don't have reference work to see its progress along with being slated for 24 episodes without any idea if they would extend it.

Yhea, Inuyasha was famous for having very slow plot development.
It take 15 episodes for Kikyo to appear and the main antagonist, Naraku, only appears on episode 16 and 5 more episodes until his motives become somewhat apparent, so in reality it takes 21 episodes for the main story really starts. If they are going for Yashahime been a long running shonen anime, is better for people take a seat and wait and see here this going.

For now it seems Kirinmaru is the main bad guy and Sesshomaru is looking for a way to save the only person he really cares about, Rin, even if he destroys the balance of the world in the process, what can make him also a antagonism.
What happened to Rin can be the reason of his behavior, so until we know what happened to her, this is only speculations.
But looking at this episode, the identity of the twins mother is more or less a open secret.

It is still not apparent what he feels about his daughters but in Sesshomaru (and real dogs) case, he probably have no paternal care. He probably only care to see who is the strongest between the two twins to heritage his position.

So far, my favorite of the trio is Setsuna. She have Sesshomaru personality and also
fights with a naginata. She makes me remember the most famous female samurai Nakano Takeko. She also fought with a naginata.

For people that love real strong female historic figures, Nakano Takeko story is one of the most compelling and famous figures in Japanese history.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Rin seems to die a lot these days. It gets tiresome, I mean, Sango did well delivering the twins, yet if indeed Rin is the mother and had issues in childbirth, that poor girl just loves to knock on the gates of Heaven for visits. It's like a troupe for her. There had to be a reason she had issues with delivery, be it she could've been cursed or this extra dog demon could've wanted the twins or Rin to get back at Sesshy. And before y'all get onto me, I'm just theorizing, throwing stuff out there.

That being said, no one mentioned Moroha and the credit card. Like how the heck did she rack up that much and she never had to use one Before? It was hilarious! Poor Sota!

But the new pairing i liked was Setsuna and the violin. The violin can be classified as a sad sounding instrument at times and I think her taking it up is one way she can let her feelings out. I'm not sure if that's the time frame that the violin was introduced though, but it could make sense to have one in that era.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:33 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

But the new pairing i liked was Setsuna and the violin. The violin can be classified as a sad sounding instrument at times and I think her taking it up is one way she can let her feelings out. I'm not sure if that's the time frame that the violin was introduced though, but it could make sense to have one in that era.

The first violins are from 1500's so during the Sengoku period (1467 to 1615), they existed in Europe.
But the violin was only introduced in Japan in late 19th century so it not make much sense in Sengoku period.
Uchay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:

I'd argue Yashahime isn't going slow at all, if anything it's rushing things a bit too much, from what I can comment about these 4 episodes. As I said before, I don't care much about two of the three protagonists, and I think in part it's happening because they are rushing through the new characters to get to the question of "what happened to the original cast".

Inuyasha was slow and yeah, it could have a faster pace in some points, but it always made me care about the characters, because it lingered on them more before going ahead with new characters or plot points.

Still, since it's an original, who knows? Maybe the next episodes will fresh out the original cast better. I'd still say, that first impressions are really important, and for now, with exception of how absolutely delightful Moroha has been, I'm not feeling much about everything else, and what's keeping me is mostly the promise of answers about the original cast and that...isn't great.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
This writer really has a liking for Moroha....AND I DONT BLAME THEM!
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

The first violins are from 1500's so during the Sengoku period (1467 to 1615), they existed in Europe.
But the violin was only introduced in Japan in late 19th century so it not make much sense in Sengoku period.

Shamisens first started appearing around this time period, so the commoners the trio will encounter will just assume it's one of those newfangled contraptions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 29